| FTBL Bad blood boils in Oxford

I can understand the Ole Miss fans being upset about the loss and in particular, the way the game ended, but the rule is what it is and this is cut and dry.

You can't touch the ball first if you run out of bounds on your own. That has always been the rule. For Hodge to say that he was blocked out of bounds is all fine and good, but the replay doesn't show that he was blocked out of bounds. It's a cut and dry call and a no-brainer.

I remember the one hop catch against Arkansas on the last play of the game.

I remember Auburns receiver running two yards deep out of bounds and coming in to catch the ball in 93.

I remember the AU DB hitting the LSU receiver a couple of years ago on what should have clearly been a pass interference.

I remember our play two years ago getting interfered with in the endzone and no call was made and they wound up intercepting the ball.

Someone please remind exactly how we get all the good calls.

As far as Coach (Mong)O and the AD (who sounds like a major DH) complaining about Saban's comments all I have to say is this: He said that when our fans threw items at the Georgia players it was classless, so don't be surprised if he has the same opinion of the Ole Sister Molesters fans that do it. :evil:

Reporter said:

IllegalTouching2.jpg

From that article..."I think our (replay) system is good, but there will be mistakes made and I agree with Coach (Orgeron) a mistake was made," Boone said.

Boone's school "will move on," he said, but the incident proves replay "is not foolproof."

Yeah, you keep clinging Boone. So, let me guess you watched the replay over and over and saw exactly what?

Also this from the WR...As for Hodge, he made his first comments to reporters in Oxford. He maintained he was forced out of bounds and that Mitchell touched the ball first. He said he hasn't seen the play since it happened, but said "I didn't think there was any way in the world it could be reversed".

Yeah, what do you expect the WR to say? :roll: Cling to this one a long time Ole Miss.

on a side note. Should our corners be more concerned with breaking up the play or intercepting the ball? I mean think about how easy Lionel could have slapped that ball away and none of this would be going on. Thoughts?

BAMAFSTBACK said:
on a side note. Should our corners be more concerned with breaking up the play or intercepting the ball? I mean think about how easy Lionel could have slapped that ball away and none of this would be going on. Thoughts?

I said that in a previous post Sunday. On 4th down, I would want the ball on the ground ASAP, not in m hands necessarily. That is just my thoughts.

Thanks for the read, Reporter. I wish I could post the little article that the Vicksburg Post had in yesterday's paper about the 3 individuals arrested, but it was not included in the news on the paper's website.

The three arrested, though, were "two Ole Miss fans and a juvenile." Among the items and debris thrown on the field included a pair of red high heels.

Ole Miss doesn't have a case in this. The replay showed clear as day that the receiver ran out of bounds (he was not forced out) AND that he touched the ball first. Ole Miss needs to accept that they got beat and move on.

SEC official: Call was right

Ole Miss Athletics Director Pete Boone said:
"With regard to the call at the end of the game, after further review of the Ole Miss SEC replay decision-making process, we have clear and convincing evidence that it's not fool-proof," Boone said. "It's important for us to stick up in situations like this. We have been good citizens of the SEC. Let me tell you, there's no better place to play ball than there is in the SEC. And this is not an indictment at all against SEC officials. We've got to have the best in the country."

What has he been smoking? ;scr

The receiver was running around the left side of our guy to get an angle on the ball.

They changed the title to this story since this morning. It was Controversial finish, Saban's comments stir Ole Miss emotions

BamaHeat said:
The receiver was running around the left side of our guy to get an angle on the ball.

They changed the title to this story since this morning. It was Controversial finish, Saban's comments stir Ole Miss emotions

Thank you!! I swear the first time I read it I thought that's what the title was, but when I went to post the story it had the new title. I just thought I was crazy or something. :D

Ole Miss and the great Catch

:shock: New to the board, although have read it many times during the coaching search. Great group of people. Love the guy with the hat and the "banjo" :?: Grew up in Alabama - drank a whiskey with the bear around the camp house fire, but attended the "Barn".

One thing that is missing in the conversation on the call at Ole Miss was that Hodge made a great catch!!!. Doesn't matter if he was in/out, first touch..... games over. Not sure - but maybe the bottles and shoes were meant for coach O and not Alabama. :lol:

The rule is that there must be conclusive evidence that the call on the field is incorrct for the replay official to reverse it. He had to resolve two issues: did the receiver go out of bounds on his own (a huge majority think that he did) and did he touch the ball before the defender did (which is less clear cut). The official staked his reputation that the video evidence was conclusive that Hodge touched it first. and this was confirmed by his superior. yet even had the replay guy ruled in Ole Miss's favor, there was another issue: many of us think that Mitchell was down with posession of the ball and Hodge ripped it away after he was down. This was never ruled on, because the earlier ruling made it unnecessary.

Get over it, Rebs. Een if this call was wrong (it wasn't) it is far from being the worst call in history (I would give the nod there to the one at the end of the Fla/UT game a couple of years back).

We all have bad calls against our guys that we remember. I personally stil think that Joe Namath got into the end zone against Texas in the 1964 season, which would have won the game for us, and made us the undefeated and undisputed NC that year, instead of sharing the title.

psychojoe said:
The rule is that there must be conclusive evidence that the call on the field is incorrct for the replay official to reverse it. He had to resolve two issues: did the receiver go out of bounds on his own (a huge majority think that he did) and did he touch the ball before the defender did (which is less clear cut). The official staked his reputation that the video evidence was conclusive that Hodge touched it first. and this was confirmed by his superior. yet even had the replay guy ruled in Ole Miss's favor, there was another issue: many of us think that Mitchell was down with posession of the ball and Hodge ripped it away after he was down. This was never ruled on, because the earlier ruling made it unnecessary.

Get over it, Rebs. Een if this call was wrong (it wasn't) it is far from being the worst call in history (I would give the nod there to the one at the end of the Fla/UT game a couple of years back).

We all have bad calls against our guys that we remember. I personally stil think that Joe Namath got into the end zone against Texas in the 1964 season, which would have won the game for us, and made us the undefeated and undisputed NC that year, instead of sharing the title.

Thank you. Seems like people are forgetting this.

psychojoe said:

Actually, this was ruled upon. If the Alabama defender, Mitchell, had intercepted the ball, it would have been placed inside the 5 when Alabama took over. Since the ball was placed at the previous line of scrimmage, the ruling had to be that the Ole Miss receiver caught the ball, but by touching it first after voluntarily going out of bounds, became an inelligible receiver which made the pass incomplete.

Big_Fan said:

It just seems like he(the Ole Miss receiver) touched the ball first. It's not a matter of him wrestling it away from Mitchell, but a matter of him being an ineligible receiver and not being capable of making the catch regardless of whether Mitchell caught it and ran around in circles for 10 minutes. He touched it FIRST.

Sorry Ole Miss.

Next year, maybe next year.

Back
Top Bottom