| CURRENT EVENTS August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse

You're welcome. We're staying in Kansas City and driving up to. St. Joseph, Missouri. You've got to find a place where the odds are in your favor weather wise. Checking on St. Joseph, they've only been overcast once on that day since 1995. I've looked at the Path from Nashville to the Carolina coast and can't beat those odds. The hotel rates inside the path are worse than a football weekend in T-Town.

Been wanting to try some KC BBQ anyway so this will be my chance.

You're welcome. We're staying in Kansas City and driving up to. St. Joseph, Missouri. You've got to find a place where the odds are in your favor weather wise. Checking on St. Joseph, they've only been overcast once on that day since 1995. I've looked at the Path from Nashville to the Carolina coast and can't beat those odds. The hotel rates inside the path are worse than a football weekend in T-Town.

Been wanting to try some KC BBQ anyway so this will be my chance.

We won't rent this place, but on Lake Murray near Lexington/Columbia, SC, this little place is available for Sunday night for just $95. It is dead center.

VRBO.com #926871 - Tranquility on the Lake

My original post is a little misleading. Well actually it's wrong. There will be a second chance in 7 years but the next one to only touch USA soil will be over 300 from now.

I contemplated going up to St Joseph as well. I'll settle for 80% here in North Dallas as I start a new job on Monday.

I believe the one in 2024 is going to be a total solar eclipse and it goes over the DFW area.

It's a bit disconcerting how many school systems in Alabama are already planning early dismissals for fear of liability. Back in '82 or '83, the last time I can remember an eclipse, I was in middle school. Our teachers took us outside to see it. We were sternly warned not to look directly at it (of course, I did...), but then again common sense was the rule of the day, not terrifying fear of lawsuits.

It's a great teaching moment that will be lost on so many.

Awesome @Bamabww

We got an email from our school that they were not letting any of the kids outside. I bought 10 glasses...ARGH!

@bama alum the first eclipse I remember I was still at Going Elementary, in the early/mid 80's, they let us observe (with some type of crazy mask, IIRC it was some kinda welders mask or something). Don't remember what grade I was in, 81 I would have been in 2nd grade I believe. So maybe 3rd or 4th grade for me.

Thanks @It Takes Eleven & @planomateo . I've had a telescope since 1996 and an observatory since February 14, 2000. Yeah, it was the wife's valentine present that year. Boy was she surprised!

I've been watching the cloud cover for the past few days and had to revise my eclipse watching location from St. Joseph, MO to Rock Island State Park in TN. Forecast for cloud cover scared me off from St. Joseph with the threat of thunderstorms in the area. Here's a website I use to help determine when I can have a "star party" at my observatory and have been using it this week to help choose a final destination. Clear Outside v1.0 - International Weather Forecasts For Astronomers

I've found it to be more accurate than the local guys, which ain't saying much, but it has helped me in the past.

Awesome @Bamabww

We got an email from our school that they were not letting any of the kids outside. I bought 10 glasses...ARGH!

@bama alum the first eclipse I remember I was still at Going Elementary, in the early/mid 80's, they let us observe (with some type of crazy mask, IIRC it was some kinda welders mask or something). Don't remember what grade I was in, 81 I would have been in 2nd grade I believe. So maybe 3rd or 4th grade for me.

Going? Ha! Did you go to Smith or Huffman Middle?

Freakin' nightmare!

The estimates had 1.2 million hitting town--I think they might have been wrong. About two hours ago there was a listing of all the county parks that were already closed. There was NO doubt the traffic on I-95 and I-26 was heavier coming back from Santee this past weekend. But right now? ?ere? You couldn't talk me into getting on the road (other than maybe my bike, in my neighborhood.) They actually have asked people to be sure not to stop in the middle of the road during this upcoming two and a half minute span ...

Not much happened near me but here is a few I took and tried to make it look like it was dark outside by speeding up the shutter

IMG_9949-X3.jpg

IMG_9986-X3.jpg

IMG_9987-X3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom