| GAME THREAD šŸˆ Arkansas vs Alabama ~ 2:30 CT on CBS

We were up by 12 before the conversion.

The 2 point conversion put us up by 14. The 1 point extra point was not going to do anything. Being up by 12 or 13 is the same thing.

The decision had Zero to do with how he felt about our D.
You are right , the 2 point conversion put us up by 14. He KNEW his defense would not stop them from scoring another touchdown and try the on side kick and have another chance to score again and tie them up. Does that show confidence in his defense?

You are right , the 2 point conversion put us up by 14. He KNEW his defense would not stop them from scoring another touchdown and try the on side kick and have another chance to score again and tie them up. Does that show confidence in his defense?
It shows nothing.

Kicking for 1 point doesnā€™t do anything. If you are up by 12 or you are up by 13 itā€™s the exact same thing. There is no coach in the world that would have kicked the 1 point extra point to go up 13 regardless of what kinda of D they have. Every coach in the world down to pee wee would have done the same thing. Even my wife if she was coaching a football team woulda known to go for two points.

Itā€™s just simple and basic strategyā€¦

Saban went for two against Clemson back in 2008 up by 20+. That doesn't scream no trust in his D. Like the above poster said: it's game strategy. He's done this on more than one occasion.

Coaching 101 - when you're up by 12 you go for 2 to make it 2 TDs AND 2 extra points just to tie. Nothing to do with confidence in the defense. Dumb to kick an extra point there.

@'65 Cobra ,@94 Grad, I fully understand the strategy of going for 2 points to put us up by 14. I have seen teams go for 2 too many times to calculate after watching countless games over at least 55 years of watching and understanding the game. A couple of questions for you. What is the root cause for the thinking you need to go for 2 to to go up by 14? Did either of you have confidence that our defense would stop the Hogs on their last possession? A hypothetical here. IF they had recovered their on side kick, did you have confidence we could or would stop them from scoring another touchdown?

@'65 Cobra ,@94 Grad, I fully understand the strategy of going for 2 points to put us up by 14. I have seen teams go for 2 too many times to calculate after watching countless games over at least 55 years of watching and understanding the game. A couple of questions for you. What is the root cause for the thinking you need to go for 2 to to go up by 14? Did either of you have confidence that our defense would stop the Hogs on their last possession? A hypothetical here. IF they had recovered their on side kick, did you have confidence we could or would stop them from scoring another touchdown?
The root causeā€¦. For the THIRD time is because leading by 12 points is exactly the same as leading by 13. There is little to zero benefit in kicking 1 point there. The ONLY option is to go for 2 so you lead by 14. If a coach where to kick the 1 pointer in lieu of the 2 point tryā€¦ Iā€™d seriously question that coaches abilities to make good play calls.

The decision has zero/zip/nada to due with what kind of defense you have. If you cannot grasp thatā€¦ I canā€™t help you.

I heard them during the UT game, Not till the end did I heard them during the LSU game, Yesterday I didn't heard them at all!! CBS muted them for some reason?
Rick....it was as loud as it could be....fans jad that buzz again...

Been to BD in over 100 games....in last -15 years or so...
Lsu...Tennessee. And this arkansas matches any of them for crowd noise

Agree 50+, we canā€™t remember a game when it was so loud so many times (maybe Florida game in 2005). The 4th quarter Arky possessions brought major noise. We were 11 rows up in JJ and couldnā€™t hear ourselves yell at each other. Hell, even the 3rd down just before the fake FG. They had 2 false starts down there within about 3 plays. Then the place got as quiet as a funeral after that fake.

The root causeā€¦. For the THIRD time is because leading by 12 points is exactly the same as leading by 13. There is little to zero benefit in kicking 1 point there. The ONLY option is to go for 2 so you lead by 14. If a coach where to kick the 1 pointer in lieu of the 2 point tryā€¦ Iā€™d seriously question that coaches abilities to make good play calls.

The decision has zero/zip/nada to due with what kind of defense you have. If you cannot grasp thatā€¦ I canā€™t help you.
I agree 100% the reason for going for 2 points. And yes, I was able to grasp the reason for going for 2 in around 1966 when I was 10 years old,
maybe a year or two before that. Up by 14 rather than 12 or 13, Arky would still have had to score 2 touchdowns with very little time left on the clock. Highly unlikely but not out of the question as our defense has been fairly porous this year. They did score 1 touchdown after our last score
and if not for an errant onside kick that took a very high bounce put of bounds, they might have been able to score again and tie us up or taken the lead with a 2 point conversion of their own. But then again, mights are found on a chicken's butt.

Back
Top Bottom