| FTBL are the gamecocks really good???

jdpas29

Verified Member
or is NCState really awful?

i think it's a little of both. i haven't seen a defense lay down that bad since tennessee in the 80s against Alabama.

The wolfpack look like a bunch of sickly pups.

good to see Smelley doing well though.

NCState is bad...very bad. USC does have a pretty impressive defense though, but a lot of questions on offense. It looks like their conditioning is great, all these late scores seem to point that out.

BamaJay73 said:
It was a good game after the first half. South Carolina represented the SEC real well! 8)
I hope Bama does the same on Saturday night. :D

I thought the SEC chant towards the end of the game was a nice touch.

well, JSU did score 2 TD's against Tech - and some of the points they gave up were cheap...oh, you mean South Carolina.

Nevermind.

Ryan Perriloux will win some games for JSU. He is the reason that the Tech/JSU game was not 75-0. 41-14 is respectable, considering.

I thought both Carolina and NC State both looked pretty rusty. Carolina better have a good defense because their offense sucked. And stopping NC State's offense is nothing to hang your hat on. That was pathetic. That QB for State is lucky he got knocked colder than a mackerel because it saved him the embarrassment of getting kicked off the team. He reeked.

I wasn't impressed at all by USCjr. Most of the reasons have been mentioned here already, so I'll save you the time of reading them again.

One thing that did strike me as interesting is the "head injury" that Beecher suffered in the 3rd quarter. I sure didn't see any contact that would have caused that. He sure didn't seem to have any competitive fire after his 2nd INT.

Shutting out NC State isn't what I call a remarkable showing considering the Wolfpack was shut out last year as well vs Maryland who ranked in the bottom half of every defensive category in the ACC, bottom third in most of them.

NOW, that said, Vandy's win over Miami (OH) came as a bit of a shock to me...especially with that margin. With USCjr facing Vandy next Thursday night...I suspect that is going to be one interesting game.

TerryP said:
I wasn't impressed at all by USCjr. Most of the reasons have been mentioned here already, so I'll save you the time of reading them again.

One thing that did strike me as interesting is the "head injury" that Beecher suffered in the 3rd quarter. I sure didn't see any contact that would have caused that. He sure didn't seem to have any competitive fire after his 2nd INT.

Shutting out NC State isn't what I call a remarkable showing considering the Wolfpack was shut out last year as well vs Maryland who ranked in the bottom half of every defensive category in the ACC, bottom third in most of them.

NOW, that said, Vandy's win over Miami (OH) came as a bit of a shock to me...especially with that margin. With USCjr facing Vandy next Thursday night...I suspect that is going to be one interesting game.

I was thinking the same thing last night after seeing the score. Figured Miami(OH) would give them a better game.

Kc said:
TerryP said:

I was thinking the same thing last night after seeing the score. Figured Miami(OH) would give them a better game.

Miami, bottom line, couldn't stop the running game. Vandy had just under 270 rushing. Nickson didn't throw the ball; didn't have to.

That 91 yard punt return punched Miami in the mouth (when is the last time that was said about the 'Dores) and they just couldn't get back on track.

TerryP said:

I've always had a hard time being able to tell when helmet contact results in an injury. I didn't dissect it too much, but it looked like he took a shot in the front and a knee to the back of the helmet a fraction of a second later. Maybe that sloshed his giblets around.

If Vandy takes care of its nonconference business, this could be that year for a bowl.

RTR,

Tim

reger60 said:
South Carolina is the fourth best team in the SEC East. NC State is awful.

I think that is still left to be seen Jeff. I don't see them any better than 3rd unless it is a tie with UT for 3rd and they win the tie-breaker. But, I suspect Vandy and UK may give them something to think about.

Realistically, they are lucky not to have been down by 21+ points at the half. I realize Smelley didn't throw any INT's in THIS game, but he was worse than Beecher in their scrimmages.

Add to that, the NC State D just wasn't playing with any heart in the second half. The first TD Smelley threw that guy was wide open and it was a simple post route that either one of the safeties or their CB should have had covered and covered well...but, they were a good 10 yards off the route. BOTH of them.

TerryP said:
reger60 said:
South Carolina is the fourth best team in the SEC East. NC State is awful.

I think that is still left to be seen Jeff. I don't see them any better than 3rd unless it is a tie with UT for 3rd and they win the tie-breaker. But, I suspect Vandy and UK may give them something to think about.

Realistically, they are lucky not to have been down by 21+ points at the half. I realize Smelley didn't throw any INT's in THIS game, but he was worse than Beecher in their scrimmages.

Add to that, the NC State D just wasn't playing with any heart in the second half. The first TD Smelley threw that guy was wide open and it was a simple post route that either one of the safeties or their CB should have had covered and covered well...but, they were a good 10 yards off the route. BOTH of them.

Not to mention Smelley threw it a little high and the WR had to catch it off his facemask.

Looked to be late that either State was wore down and winded or just gave up. Maybe a little of both, but to deem Smelley the great comeback QB???......I think you can say that State sort of handed that to him. JMO.

Can't take anything away from scrimmage?

Well, when Smelley threw 5 INT's in their scrimmage against 2nd and 3rd teamers...he's going to get that INT bug as well, sooner or later it'll bite them in the ass.

My pre season thoughts on SC were that their defense would be pretty good, but there were a llot of question marks about their offense, mainly QB and the OL. SC's OL looked good most of the second half, but I think that was due to NCS giving up.

Back
Top Bottom