Anybody have a Fire TV Stick?

2Stater

Goofy Golfer
Just saw the Amazon Fire TV Stick advertised on sale for $39. Anybody have one? Does it work on any TV with an HDMI port? Do you like it and how does it work?

anyone.jpg

Don't have a Fire but do have a ROKU. Really enjoy it. I know that's what you asked but maybe it will at least bump the thread for you.
Haha! Appreciate it. I went on and ordered one. I currently have a smart Blue Ray player hooked to the TV, but everything is so slow. The reviews I've read about the stick says that everything is fast. What the heck, for $39 bucks, it's worth a try.

I know the Fire requires a tablet to control it and many tablets will not work with it. Now they might have fixed that in the last 6 months. I have also worked with the Roku stick and the ChromeCast. ChromeCast was pretty buggy, it has gotten better. If you want to just stream Netflix, Hulu or other streaming services, the Roku is the best of the three. The difference being that the Fire and the Chromecast allow streaming from tablet, Smartphone or PC. In my case, I do everything with my PS3. I can stream any movies from my laptop to my PS3.

I know the Fire requires a tablet to control it and many tablets will not work with it. Now they might have fixed that in the last 6 months. I have also worked with the Roku stick and the ChromeCast. ChromeCast was pretty buggy, it has gotten better. If you want to just stream Netflix, Hulu or other streaming services, the Roku is the best of the three. The difference being that the Fire and the Chromecast allow streaming from tablet, Smartphone or PC. In my case, I do everything with my PS3. I can stream any movies from my laptop to my PS3.
It will now stream off of any Wi-Fi, which I have at home. At least that's what the ad says. Apparently, you can take it with you when you travel and hook up to hotel TV's and such.

It will now stream off of any Wi-Fi, which I have at home. At least that's what the ad says. Apparently, you can take it with you when you travel and hook up to hotel TV's and such.
Does it now come with it's own remote or do you still have to control it with a tablet or smartphone?

I've been doing a little research between the Fire, Chromecast, and Roku. Was reading a thread on the Rant where everyone discusses what set up they are using after cutting the cord, a lot of folks are going the Fire route and loading Kodi (aka XBMC) on it.

Once my contract runs out with Directv I'm planning to do something similar. Get me an HD antenna for local stations and a few streaming devices for my TVs. Still need to do some more research about which device and software to run on them. But the Fire/Kodi setup seems pretty popular.

My xbox 360 runs Hulu, AmazonPrime, Youtube, and Yahoo Screen, so I'm content with that for now. I imagine the next tv I get will be a smarttv anyway. It also has Netflix, but we aren't subscribed to that.

I just checked out vevo on my smart tv for the first time to see what it was. Its a music video channel like MTV used to be.

First song that played? Bad Blood. The video is better than the song.

So what is this fire stick? I've got Apple tv, is it like that?

I would love to drop direct TV but I ain't about to lose my foosball games this fall.

I wish DTV offered the Sunday package without having to subscribe to their other services. I would pay a premium to watch NFL on my tablet but I dont need TV services.

Got a fire stick as a door prize about a month ago. Couldn't get it to connect on either TV for some reason. It looks just like Apple TV (which I already have) for the most part... maybe fewer channels/apps and obviously the lack of iTunes. I'll probably try to hook it up again later, but really don't have a use for it right now.

So what is this fire stick? I've got Apple tv, is it like that?

I would love to drop direct TV but I ain't about to lose my foosball games this fall.

Well you can order "Best of Live TV" through sling to watch on devices like amazon fire for $20. It includes ESPN, ESPN2, and a bunch of other stuff like FX, CN/Adult Swim, ifc, history, amc, h2, tbs, and tnt. You can add ESPNU and SECN with the sports add-on for $5. You can watch the games on CBS with an antenna or on cbssports.com.

So for $25/mo, you could drop directv, see all the college football you need, and some other stuff. I might end up doing that myself.

https://www.sling.com/package

Side note: I wonder if any decent games will be on SECN this year or if the one or two last year were just to make everybody demand it. Thinking the latter.

Back
Top Bottom