| FTBL Antoine Caldwell

He practiced with the second team RT on Mon and Tues. Moved to first team RT on Wed and Thur.

We'll see Caldwell at RT. I believe TerryP already mentioned this, but right now the starters across the line will be

LT. Andre Smith
LG. Marlon Davis
C. Evan Cardwell
RG. Mike Johnson
RT. Antione Caldwell

I don't know how they lined up yesterday, but what Argo has listed was the group that practiced as the 1st unit Tues. and Weds. Monday, Davis and Caldwell worked with the 2nd unit.

TerryP said:
I don't know how they lined up yesterday, but what Argo has listed was the group that practiced as the 1st unit Tues. and Weds. Monday, Davis and Caldwell worked with the 2nd unit.

You are right. I knew they had lined up like that for the last two practices. I didn't see a report from yesterday so it had to be Tues and Wed.

I mentioned this in the talking points thread on the forum. But, it's worth repeating here.

Last year when we were losing containment on their LDE we made the switch to AC in the RT spot. IF I recall correctly, that prevented any more sacks coming from their LDE bull-rushing our RT.

Also, what this set does is open the possibility of a strong blitzing attack up the middle. I'd suspect, if we go to a 4 wide spread, it'll be the RB going in motion just seconds before the snap. I would also expect us to keep the RB in the backfield for extra protection.

It'll be very important for JPW to be able to recognize their defensive sets and check off to the right play this week. VERY IMPORTANT!

i dont know about anyone else but i would, personally, much rather have Groves have to go against Caldwell or Smith than anyone else. sounds like a good move to me.

TerryP said:
Last year when we were losing containment on their LDE we made the switch to AC in the RT spot. IF I recall correctly, that prevented any more sacks coming from their LDE bull-rushing our RT.

Also in the LSU game last year. The starting RT was injured early in the game. We brought Cardwell out to center and moved Caldwell over to RT. Last year's LSU game was one of best games our offense had with protection. Why, after seeing the success we had with that lineup against LSU, our staff decided to go back to the original for the Auburn games is beyond me. It was a bad coaching move that had a terrible impact on the Iron Bowl.

Argo said:
TerryP said:

Also in the LSU game last year. The starting RT was injured early in the game. We brought Cardwell out to center and moved Caldwell over to RT. Last year's LSU game was one of best games our offense had with protection. Why, after seeing the success we had with that lineup against LSU, our staff decided to go back to the original for the Auburn games is beyond me. It was a bad coaching move that had a terrible impact on the Iron Bowl.

I had forgotten about that after being ticked off about it last year as well.

It'll be interesting to see how many different combinations we've had on the OL this year. This will make the third position change for Caldwell. Wait, has he seen any snaps at RG? If so, that would be 4.

Back
Top Bottom