| FTBL Alright Bamma People

Whether or not time would have been put back on the clock, there are a number of things that made that call dumb considering the situation:

1. An offensive penalty would've ended the game.

2. A sack would've ended the game.

3. An interception would've ended the game.

I know those are all things "what ifs", but considering all that was needed was a field goal, that call was crazy.

Les Miles didn't even know how much time was left. He said it himself, so your statement doesn't matter.

What does no time for a sack mean? There's always time for a sack (or jello). If he had been sacked, Les wouldn't have called timeout because he really didn't even know what was going on. You can check his post-game comments if you don't believe me.

Here's the kicker. Miles apparently had no idea how closely he flirted with disaster, as evidenced by his post-game interview on the field:

Holly Rowe: "Weren't you worried about the clock?"

Les Miles: "We didn't use our last time out, we could have called time out after that. Absolutely not. We felt like with 18 seconds, 16 seconds on the clock we were in great shape."

Uh, yeah. But coach, you didn't have 18 or even 16 seconds. You had 8. And if Flynn takes one extra breath, if Byrd cuts in just a little more instead of fading out, if the clock operator BLINKS, it's :00 with LSU down by a point.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...s-the-guts-or-brains-of-godzilla-not-sure-wh/

LSUstudent said:
yes I will give you the fact that the game is played for a reason. However, I am not sure the shot at Coach Miles is justified...he's done a pretty good job.
LSU has played some great home games this year. Top ten games at night against VTech and Florida. A night game with Auburn is always a big game. This has been, without a doubt, the funnest season I have seen. With that said, I have NEVER seen anticipation for a football game like there is for this game. The ENTIRE city is going nuts over this game and has been long before the season started. Look for LSU to come out hot. I estimate for 10-15K people to make the trip with only 7k getting tickets (I think). We are in the middle of alot of political campaigns. One of the candidates campaign sign is purple and gold and says vote "name" and on the side it has "Beat Bama." I cannot wait. It should be fun. Good luck
Yes, I liken the bayou anticipation for this game to be pretty much the same as it was for Tennessee post-Katrina '05. I certainly expect LSU to come out blazing, only to lose when the clock hits 0:00.

And Bama won't need OT to finish it off.

:)

LSUstudent said:
Alright let me weigh in a bit...
LSU fans feel "wronged" because of a few reasons. First off I want to repeat that Saban built the foundation LSU and Miles currently stand on. No one in their right mind hates Saban for what he did while at LSU, in fact we respect his ability. Also, no sane LSU fan will deny that he will turn the Bama program around. With that said...as a student/fan of LSU I feel that Saban basically quit on his LSU team in 2004. He said he wont comment on a possible NFL job for months and then days before the Capital One bowl admitted he was leaving. That team had lots of talent, but was young and needed a strong leader and I think Saban basically quit on his team and the university. I had no problem with him taking an NFL job, its just the fact that he couldnt tell us and then he quit on us midseason.
He is also disliked becasue of his return to the SEC. It isnt because we are irrational. Anytime your coach leaves for a rival, it becomes fun to want to beat that coach, whether he was loved or hated. The manner in which he left Miami was somewhat disgraceful. I thought it to be a shame that he left those players without addressing the team and after claiming he "will not be the coach at Alabama." While this does not impact LSU directly, it was unethical and it only fuels the desire to beat him.
Lastly, and my personal main reason to want to beat Saban. Coach Miles is very disrespected among SEC coaches. Please note that the pass to Auburn was not a gamble. If time had expired for some reason then the play would have been reviewed and 4 seconds would have been put on the clock...check the replay. Coach Miles has done a magnificent job here at LSU regardless of whose players he has. You are correct that recruiting is easier when you're good, but this has nothing to do with Miles. We love the fact that hes honest and intense. The players love him and the man has lost 5 games in 2 and a half years. We really like Coach Miles and think he is superior to Saban because when it comes down to it, his record is better and thats the only number that matters in the long run. Time will tell to see if he can get a championship under his belt. We hate the talk of Miles being dumb because LSU is better than any team's fans that say that.
With that said I do see your point that this may be dumb, but it is what it is and as an LSU fan i cannot wait until saturday

1a. You see, when a ball is batted around (happens a lot in case you were not aware), it takes time off the clock. Not sure if you were ignorant of this simple fact or not.

1b. What?

Back
Top Bottom