| BSB/SB ⚾Alabama vs. LSU - Tide takes weekend series with 4-3 Sunday win.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Just 2 SEC series remain before the SEC Tournament in Hoover... this home series with LSU and next week on the road at auburn. Considering the brutal league schedule Bama faced this year, this is about as soft a landing as one could ask for... but that doesn't mean they are going to be freebies by any means. As predicted a few weeks ago, LSU (9-15 in SEC) is playing better baseball right now and doing LSU things like getting hot in May (they've won their last 3 SEC series, including vs. Texas A&M last weekend).

The weekend marks the return of former Bama ace Luke Holeman (RHP), who will throw for LSU on Saturday (if he stays on schedule). It would be really nice to see Bama jump all over him early and give him a day he'd soon forget. LSU's Friday night starter, Gage Jump (LHP) has been equally as good. Nothing is going to be handed to the Bama hitters in those first 2 games. The Tigers have some heavy hitters too, but not as many as last year (though they are a well seasoned bunch)... their lineup is much more navigable. 3B Tommy White and 1B Jared Jones are the two that Bama can't afford to make mistakes with.

Some good news for the Tide, Rob Vaughn indicated this week that reliver Matthew Heiberger is healthy again... he hasn't pitched in just over a month (vs. Kentucky). But he gives Bama a high leverage that has been missed arm, and it comes at a really good time with Tyler Fay struggling in his last couple out outings out of the pen. Also, Hess looked as good as he looked all season on Sunday in Starkville, but had to leave the game early due to cramping (because of dehydration from the food poisoning). But the fact that he looked that good, under those circumstances, gives me some hope that maybe he's found his groove and gotten some confidence back. This weekend (most likely Sunday again for him) will be a big test. Farone and Adams didn't have their best weekends, but again, both were sick... and without making too many excuses, it absolutely played a part in their struggles.

I like where Bama is as far as the bats right now. Ever since Vaughn tweaked the lineup, the guys have responded (for the most part). I could still see runs being at a premium on Friday and Saturday, but I don't think LSU can keep Bama's bats quiet for too long.

Alabama (10-14) is 1 game ahead of LSU in the SEC standings, and both are fighting for higher ground. This should be a really good series... I don't really anticipate either team getting a sweep, but Bama needs to hold serve at home and find a way to win 2... I think they will.

Also, a DID YOU KNOW Trivia nugget... The Crimson Tide holds the all-time advantage over LSU, 205-176-3.

Just getting home... that was a fun one. Looked bleak with 2 outs (both K's) in the 9th, nobody on, and their pitcher throwing filth. But Bama got it done... feels like the Tide stole that one, but Lord knows, Bama has had a few stolen from them the last couple of years...

And Hammiter (turns out he’s ok after that awkward collision at first) but he's come on here at the end of the season and stepped up big time. Really happy for him... would have been easy for him to transfer out for his last year, but he didn't. And then when he wasn't playing much, he still stayed with it and stayed ready. It's paying off now, for him and the team.

Back
Top Bottom