| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Falls at No. 3/3 Tennessee in Final Seconds, 71-68

This will be the only knock I have on Johnson, free throws. One thing we have yet to get right. We were 10 freaking percent in the second half. Make a shitty 50% and we win the game.

Great job by our boys though. Many of our own expected a blow out and we pushed #3, and gave them the game. Shitty call on Petty with three seconds left. I didn't like the shot he was taking, but shitty spot to make that call when the slow motion showed the ball bounce before that extra foot hit. We'll be alright. Roll Tide.

I agree that shitty foul shooting killed us but, everybody in the building knew Petty was getting the last shot. Would it not have been smarter to work the ball inside to Hall for a layup or dunk with Petty as a decoy with 11 seconds left?

Do the fundamentals and you win this game and you get a huge mark on your post season resume. The little things the team seems to not work on enough or at least that what it looks like when they take to the court. Heck these are things they can work on w/o Avery watching them smh.

Sophomore John Petty Jr. matches career high with 30 points in losing effort

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Alabama men's basketball nearly pulled off an improbable upset, but could not overcome a 13-point halftime deficit and fell at No. 3/3 Tennessee, 71-68, in front of a sellout crowd of 21,957 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Sophomore guard John Petty Jr. put on a show, finishing with 30 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the floor and 6-of-9 from deep, while senior Donta Hall collected his league-leading ninth double-double of the year as he finished with 16 points and 12 boards in the loss. Hall also recorded his 700th career rebound in the process, becoming just the fifth player in program history to collect 700 rebounds (705) and 200 blocks (206) in his career.

"Give credit to Tennessee today," Alabama head coach Avery Johnson said. "It was a great college basketball game that could have gone either way. They came out and jumped on us early, but we fought hard, didn't complain. We just put our heads down and kept working. Fortunately, we were able to play some of our better basketball in the second half. We got some stops, we were able to run in transition and just kept battling.

"John was just incredible in the second half. He got to his spots and converted. We ran the first play of the second half for him and he converted to get him going. It was just a lot of fun to watch. We couldn't get a stop at the end. We had (Admiral) Schofield pinned in the corner and pumped faked us and drove it to the basket. That was a big play."

The Volunteers (16-1, 5-0 SEC) led the Crimson Tide (11-6, 2-3) by 12 points at intermission, 44-32. However, Alabama came out on fire after intermission as Petty scored eight straight points to help spark a 13-0 run to begin the second half, giving the Crimson Tide its first lead of the game at 45-44. It was the first time a visiting team held a second half lead on the Vols' home floor this season.

From that point on, it was a back-and-forth contest that featured three ties and six lead changes.

Tennessee seemed to get back in control when it took a 55-49 lead with 12:48 left to play. Alabama would not back down, however, and responded with a 12-3 run over the next 3:21 to take its largest lead of the night at 61-58. Neither team would lead by more than one possession the rest of the game.

With the Tide clinging to a 65-63 advantage with 3:16 remaining, the Volunteers scored six of the next nine points to go up by one, setting up the dramatic ending that went in Tennessee's favor.

For the game, Alabama shot 42.4 percent from the floor and 38.5 percent from beyond the arc, while limiting Tennessee – the league-leader in scoring offense, field goal percentage and three-point field goal percentage – to just 43.8 percent from the field and 25 percent (3-of-12) shooting from beyond the arc. The Tide also outrebounded the Vols 41-36, which marks the 16th time in 17 games UA has won the battle of the boards.

Alabama will next return home to take on No. 18/20 Ole Miss on Tuesday, Jan. 22, at 8 p.m. CT. The game will be televised on SEC Network.

Alabama Men’s Basketball Falls at No. 3/3 Tennessee in Final Seconds, 71-68 - University of Alabama Athletics

This will be the only knock I have on Johnson, free throws.
To me, this is akin to blaming a bad shot on a 1i when one shouldn't have that club in their bag in the first place. In other words, it's misplaced blame.

How do you fault a coach for a player missing free throws?

There seems to be an assumption that it's something CAJ doesn't spend time with and there's no reason or basis for those who assume such. (Do we blame a golf coach for a "yipped" putt, the gymnastics coach due to a missed landing, or the QB coach for an overthrown ball?)
Jones is the one player how has struggled for the last two seasons. He's a lot like Hall who digressed a bit from the '16-'17 season going into '17 -'18 but has seemed to turn it around this season.

Player

last season

this season

change

Hall

+ .205

Petty

Ingram

+.023

Jones

AJ Jr

Riley

+.042

Reese

+.030

This will be the only knock I have on Johnson, free throws.
To me, this is akin to blaming a bad shot on a 1i when one shouldn't have that club in their bag in the first place. In other words, it's misplaced blame.

How do you fault a coach for a player missing free throws?

There seems to be an assumption that it's something CAJ doesn't spend time with and there's no reason or basis for those who assume such. (Do we blame a golf coach for a "yipped" putt, the gymnastics coach due to a missed landing, or the QB coach for an overthrown ball?)
Jones is the one player how has struggled for the last two seasons. He's a lot like Hall who digressed a bit from the '16-'17 season going into '17 -'18 but has seemed to turn it around this season.

Player

last season

this season

change

Hall

+ .205

Petty

Ingram

+.023

Jones

AJ Jr

Riley

+.042

Reese

+.030

You are correct this is in no way on CAJ. FT shooting is technique, concentration and confidence. When you go to the line you have to believe you are going to make it.

Back
Top Bottom