| FTBL Spring Practice 2023: 2nd spring scrimmage set for Saturday at 1 CT

Mentioned the other day that business runs both ways these days, it has to. Tires are being kicked on Buchner, for what I believe is a possible insurance policy at QB. There's still no guarantee that both Bama QB's are staying through fall... Other programs are circling the skies waiting for one to make a move (either would be gifted a starting spot elsewhere, so making a move could be very enticing). Going into the '23 season with Milroe and Simpson at QB isn't exactly on the level of going into the '18 season with Hurts and Tua... but going into the season with just 1 of them, is an entirely different level of concerning. All that to say, I'd personally be surprised if Bama offered Buchner a spot (and equally surprised if he'd be willing to come in knowing he'd be competing against either/or both of Milroe and Simpson for the #1 spot).

Mentioned the other day that business runs both ways these days, it has to. Tires are being kicked on Buchner, for what I believe is a possible insurance policy at QB. There's still no guarantee that both Bama QB's are staying through fall... Other programs are circling the skies waiting for one to make a move (either would be gifted a starting spot elsewhere, so making a move could be very enticing). Going into the '23 season with Milroe and Simpson at QB isn't exactly on the level of going into the '18 season with Hurts and Tua... but going into the season with just 1 of them, is an entirely different level of concerning. All that to say, I'd personally be surprised if Bama offered Buchner a spot (and equally surprised if he'd be willing to come in knowing he'd be competing against either/or both of Milroe and Simpson for the #1 spot).
Even if we did offer, why in the world would he come here? Let's either Milroe, or Simpson leaves, there's still Holstein, and Lonergan there to compete with. He'll have experience on them, but I'm not so sure he'd have the talent advantage. Milroe, and Simpson both showed they have the talent to lead the offense, they just both need to limit the mistakes they make. And to be fair to Milroe, he had one really bad interception where he just threw it up for grabs, that doesn't need to happen anymore. The other pick was before halftime, and was just a hail Mary attempt. We have two guys who are capable, and two more who could potentially step up as well. I dont see why wed offer, or why he'd take it if we did.

Even if we did offer, why in the world would he come here? Let's either Milroe, or Simpson leaves, there's still Holstein, and Lonergan there to compete with. He'll have experience on them, but I'm not so sure he'd have the talent advantage. Milroe, and Simpson both showed they have the talent to lead the offense, they just both need to limit the mistakes they make. And to be fair to Milroe, he had one really bad interception where he just threw it up for grabs, that doesn't need to happen anymore. The other pick was before halftime, and was just a hail Mary attempt. We have two guys who are capable, and two more who could potentially step up as well. I dont see why wed offer, or why he'd take it if we did.

Sure seems there are better fits out there for him.

IF, and I know this is a big IF . . . but IF Buchner does not have NFL aspirations and is instead looking at a coaching career, Rees could be looking at him almost like a junior offensive coordinator who could be in the QB room with Simpson, et al, to help them understand better now Rees calls a game, exactly what he wants from the position, etc. AND, IF coaching is his ultimate goal, AND you want to learn from Saban, the sooner you can get here the better. I don't think he's got many years left in him.

Meh! Kid doesn’t really bump the needle for me as far as his performance goes. Like Brandon has said, better fits elsewhere. Personally, I feel we have more talented QBs already on campus.
Coaching aspirations? Maybe. If I’m a QB with eligibility left though, I want to play, not coach. As far as Buchner being able to “coach” Simpson and Milroe, I don’t see that at all!! I’ll give you an example and it is in fact a true story. Going into my son’s senior year of HS, he had worked his way into the starting TE role going into Summer workouts and 7v7s. Well, the HC kept trying to put a kid in front of my son. The other kid was more talented, faster and stronger, BUT he was dumber than a brick! The HC expected my son to “coach him up” in the 7v7!! I told my son that it wasn’t his job and to not help another kid put him in the bench!! Ultimately, my son won out and the other kid moved to defense and played free safety and told to do one thing, don’t let anyone behind you. He was benched 3 games later!!!
Guys want to play! They don’t want to help others play their position. Walk ons/scout team guys, that’s their job!!!

Last edited:
Now see, I won't eat that or Ramen, and hate tuna fish.
I have a couple of cheap meal alternatives, for good fat or decent protein. For one, I just take a can of reduced sodium progresso chicken soup, noodle or wild rice, and add a cup or so of cooked quinoa. Cooked quinoa keeps for about a week, so I just make it ahead of time. The second thing I'll do is take canned Kirkland salmon or sardines (boneless, skinless from Costco), add a dozen or so olives (green or kalamata) and toss in a dollop of chow-chow. High protein, good fat, about 90 seconds prep (the sardines have to drain for a little longer). I used to have canned tuna in the rotation, but I've gotten away from that for the mercury concern.

Meh! Kid doesn’t really bump the needle for me as far as his performance goes. Like Brandon has said, better fits elsewhere. Personally, I feel we have more talented QBs already on campus.
Coaching aspirations? Maybe. If I’m a QB with eligibility left though, I want to play, not coach. As far as Buchner being able to “coach” Simpson and Milroe, I don’t see that at all!! I’ll give you an example and it is in fact a true story. Going into my son’s senior year of HS, he had worked his way into the starting TE role going into Summer workouts and 7v7s. Well, the HC kept trying to put a kid in front of my son. The other kid was more talented, faster and stronger, BUT he was dumber than a brick! The HC expected my son to “coach him up” in the 7v7!! I told my son that it wasn’t his job and to not help another kid put him in the bench!! Ultimately, my son won out and the other kid moved to defense and played free safety and told to do one thing, don’t let anyone behind you. He was benched 3 games later!!!
Guys want to play! They don’t want to help others play their position. Walk ons/scout team guys, that’s their job!!!
Yeah, but maybe this kid is playing to coach. Or maybe he's better than what we currently have on campus? Guess we'll see when the season starts. I'm just spitballing here.

Yeah, but maybe this kid is playing to coach. Or maybe he's better than what we currently have on campus? Guess we'll see when the season starts. I'm just spitballing here.
I don't see how much more clear Saban could have been when he said they wanted more out of the guys in spring and they didn't see that. "Win the job."

Now, going into the fall it's only logical to say he didn't feel comfortable about the QB room going into the fall. It's not a matter of talents, it is "being ready" ... Milroe and Ty aren't there now.

As I mentioned several hours before his commitment went public there's quite a few things that just fall together when you look back ... starting when Hartman left Wake.

Back
Top Bottom