| MBB/WBB Alabama Comes Back from 15-Point Second Half Deficit to Stun No. 1/1 Houston, 71-65

Hold on let's stay below for a little bit. Let these guys get those feet back on the ground.
Indeed last year they had several early great wins then folded when they got into the SEC. This team feels and looks different than last years but need to take a breath and keep working. Was a great win and they had every reason to fold when they were down 15. Oats pulled an interesting move by going small that seemed to turn things around offensively. Gave them some easier shots. You were not going to go half court blow for blow with Houston w/o spreading the floor. Oats did that and it worked. A coaching move that worked out.

Best thing I saw was the team plays hard regardless of what is happening. Quinerly road the pine alot because the freshman point guard was playing well. Hope there is not chemistry issues there. At some point Quinerly and his skills and experience will be needed. Hop he maintains a team mentality.

Great win for Bama. It looked grim when Houston went up by 12 in the first half. This team has determination and grit. Great D and rebounding. Still too many TO’s, especially in the first half, and missed FT’s but Miller made clutch FT’s at the end of the game. Way to go. RTR.

Great win for Bama. It looked grim when Houston went up by 12 in the first half. This team has determination and grit. Great D and rebounding. Still too many TO’s and missed FT’s but Miller made clutch FT’s at the end of the game. Way to go. RTR.

This team is better than last year's in a number of ways... including how much tougher they are mentally and physically.

I doubt they'll be number 1, but they'll be inching closer. Just saying, a case could be made... losing to UCONN like they did though certainly bolsters UCONN's case.

UCONN is my bet, no way we jump them. Unless they lose.

Wow, what a game. Boys played tough. Fighting back after getting down so bad was awesome to see. Hitting free throws finally late in the game was all the difference. Sears with a clutch three late too. Man, that was fun. Roll Tide.

Pretty amazing... 1st half = 12 TO's. 2nd half = 3 TO's.
Did not check to see who had the most turnovers but I found it interesting Quinerly did not get very many minutes not even down the stretch during crunch time. Bradley played really well much better than I would expect for a normal freshman. Eventually Quinerly will be needed but just interesting observation in this game. Oats has many more options with this years team.

UCONN is my bet, no way we jump them. Unless they lose.

Wow, what a game. Boys played tough. Fighting back after getting down so bad was awesome to see. Hitting free throws finally late in the game was all the difference. Sears with a clutch three late too. Man, that was fun. Roll Tide..
In the 2nd half they cleaned up the turnovers and Houston had FT struggles also expecially down the stretch. That helped even out the bad FT night otherwise it would have cost thme this game. Usually bad FT and turnover nights you lose close games. Pretty surprising they won anyway on the road.

It was good to see them not fold because last years team would have crumbled big time. Miller struggling and the team still winning and him contributing down the stretch will pay dividends down the stretch. Will help him keep from getting frustrated and not press so hard. Maybe he will give himself time to get back on track w/o the pressure that he has to turn it around quickly. He is to talented not to and other options will help big time.

Did not check to see who had the most turnovers but I found it interesting Quinerly did not get very many minutes not even down the stretch during crunch time. Bradley played really well much better than I would expect for a normal freshman. Eventually Quinerly will be needed but just interesting observation in this game. Oats has many more options with this years team.

Yep. Qunierly did lead the team with 4, all in the 1st half. He did only play 4 mins in the 2nd half (and supposedly requested for Bradley to get his minutes per Oats).

Sampson had a lot of good things to say about Alabama.

Houston basketball and coach Kelvin Sampson suffered their first setback of the 2022-23 season, falling 71-65 to Alabama at home Saturday afternoon. The Cougars fell to 9-1 on the season and suffered their first home loss since Feb. 12 last season, when they dropped an American Athletic Conference game to Memphis.

Houston led by as many as 15 points in the second half after trading blows with Alabama through the first 20 minutes. But the Cougars went cold from the field offensively and their normally strong defense began to show some cracks, allowing the Crimson Tide to seize momentum.

"That’s a top-ranked team in the nation, so no shame in losing to a really, really good Alabama team," Sampson said. "But disappointed, obviously. We haven’t lost a lot in this building. Give Alabama credit. They did a great job in that second half. We could have played better, but we’ve got to stay with it. It’s a long season. We’ve played 10 games. Last time I checked we’ve got 22 more, so we’ll keep working at it.”

Back
Top Bottom