| MBB/WBB Alabama Men’s Basketball Suffers 71-53 Home Loss to Florida

He wont leave voluntarily...i hope the light goes on and it turns around....
and its fun to watch....exciting.... ncaa tournament a given..just seeding the question....fun and great roundball

Hello ...... are you watching what is going on and the schedule ahead? The dance is NOT a given. If we don't finish at or above .500 in SEC play little chance. LSU has freakish talent hard games with the barn and at SC and Arky. As of today with what is going on I don't like our chances and I try to stay optimistic. I hope we can turn it around.

I have no reaction to this point. What right to I have to comment on something unseen? I'll leave the opining on things unknown to others. So far, you're towing the line.

Seems like a good strategy. If I had to be the apologist for Avery Johnson and this basketball team, I wouldn't want to watch either. Might be the only way to keep enthusiasm up.

Hello ...... are you watching what is going on and the schedule ahead? The dance is NOT a given. If we don't finish at or above .500 in SEC play little chance. LSU has freakish talent hard games with the barn and at SC and Arky. As of today with what is going on I don't like our chances and I try to stay optimistic. I hope we can turn it around.
Have watched @#80 .... no its not a given-by any stretch ...
I just have a fear boiling inside.... withthis schedule and with current play....
But..."dont be driven by your fears...but lead by your heart." Or something like that
.....and I really like AJ....we shall see

Seems like a good strategy. If I had to be the apologist for Avery Johnson and this basketball team, I wouldn't want to watch either. Might be the only way to keep enthusiasm up.
When you got up this morning, did your day start with ....

Apologist? Geez, man.

You've made several assertions in this thread which were disputed, factually. Citing what's happened, and demonstrating it through metrics, isn't being an apologist. The actual accusation is indeed entertaining albeit far from the truth.

Apologist? Geez, man.

You've made several assertions in this thread which were disputed, factually. Citing what's happened, and demonstrating it through metrics, isn't being an apologist. The actual accusation is indeed entertaining albeit far from the truth.

Hey, I get it, really. Why would you want your eyes to get in the way of how you see it? A good boxscore and a calculator will pretty much tell you everything you need to know.

Well Gottfried started the downward spiral in his last years then Grant came and killed Bama BB and know we have Avery to bury the deal. We're looking at 10 years of the same old same old (bubble/NIT) . The good news is 18 out of 19 years were winning seasons. Not that many SEC teams have can say that. Everybody at the U of A associated with BB should be fired up after yesterday's shite the bed game.

Hey, I get it, really. Why would you want your eyes to get in the way of how you see it? A good boxscore and a calculator will pretty much tell you everything you need to know.

You've argued yourself in circles a few times in this thread.

Reading comprehension, along with common sense, tells us what some simply don't know. Or, more likely, refuse to admit.

Well, you should know Terry, I did watch the game. I should win this argument on sincerity alone.
If you'd like to frame this as an argument, so be it. I don't see it that way.

My point remains the same as it was when we stared this discussion. You've voiced your opinion which is subjective. When supporting said opinion, you've used examples which are fallible and examples have been pointed out.

You're taking a handful of games to devalue the state of the program while ignoring a handful of games when you're propping up other programs. All the while we're all watching a conference that's been improving over the last couple of years.

My point remains the same as it was when we stared this discussion. You've voiced your opinion which is subjective. When supporting said opinion, you've used examples which are fallible and examples have been pointed out.

You're taking a handful of games to devalue the state of the program while ignoring a handful of games when you're propping up other programs. All the while we're all watching a conference that's been improving over the last couple of years.

Actually, everything I stated about this basketball team was confirmed, once again, in the Florida game. If you ever get around to actually watching the game you will see, once again, low energy, no sense of urgency, bad fundamentals, which certainly adds up to bad coaching. There is not a stat you can pull out of your azz that will change the scoreboard.

We get blown out by Miss St on the road and in a must game against another bubble SEC team that the committee will no doubt compare to us at tourney time, we get blown out again, at home. Avery Johnson in his presser said he recognized his team wasn't engaged and didn't have the energy before the game. What would a competent coach do at that point who can see it coming? A competent coach would address that issue, because, nothing else matters. If you are sleepwalking in this league in February against another bubble team that is sure to be playing desperate, and the same team has whipped your basketball program 8 straight times since 2006 on your home court, why would Xs and Os have anything to do with the outcome? You don't have a strategy problem at that time, you have a team that doesn't want to compete. What are you going to do about it? Turns out, nothing.

The only thing Avery Johnson got right Saturday was his acknowledgment that he's to blame. Yes, he is. If you can't emotionally snap your team into place in a crucial game in Feb, with all the chips on the table, and you see the problem before you send them out on the court, yes, you are a bad coach.

And Terry, don't bother checking in the boxscores this problem won't be there.

@TUSKtimes We're still at the same point in this discussion.

Your using a few games to encapsulate the state of the program. It doesn't work that way.

And, as mentioned earlier, the break down (the area this team hasn't improved on, but digressed) hasn't been pointed out.

Your beloved Vols got ran out of Rupp Arena Saturday. #1 teams shouldn't be run out of the gym by anyone based on your garbage the last few weeks, especially by a team that poor little Alabama drilled.

If you want to jump into this conversation about the state of Alabama basketball, pick a post. There is a ton of replies by yours truly that you can specifically take exception to if you disagree. If you are up for it, which remains to be seen. If you want to continue to throw mud and hope some of it sticks, much like a petulant child, I fear this debate will end as badly for you as many of the others between us.

@TUSKtimes We're still at the same point in this discussion.

Your using a few games to encapsulate the state of the program. It doesn't work that way.

And, as mentioned earlier, the break down (the area this team hasn't improved on, but digressed) hasn't been pointed out.

And you still seem to be struggling with your inability to properly frame the argument. This is subpar coaching. See if you can stay with the theme for 5 minutes. Perhaps some sage words by Cecil Hurt will help you get your creative juices flowing.

"As a columnist, I don’t spend a great deal of time dwelling on whether a team should be playing a 2-3 matchup zone or running back-door cuts off the high post. That is best left to coaches. But when Johnson said in the post-game that “in video session this morning, our energy level was low,” that’s a different matter.
How can the energy level be “low” before a crucial home game? If for some inexplicable reason the “energy” is low, how much does video study matter? Isn’t there a point where you turn off the video, throw the laptop against the wall, and declare a two-minute, no-whistle scrimmage in which the last five guys standing will be your starters? If not that method, then don’t you find some other way of finding five players with a bit of fire?

Perhaps that’s not Johnson’s style. If it’s not, that’s the root of the problem. He at least hinted that he’d look at things differently going into the final six games.

“Everything is on the table,” he said. “That’s the starting lineup. That’s what time we take shoot around. That’s whether we’re eating too much food in the pregame meal. That’s all on me. I’ll evaluate everything. Maybe I haven’t done a good enough job of holding them accountable.”

It’s the middle of February. The accounts have come due. Alabama could win in its remaining games, but will lose every one unless the “energy level” increases — and fast.
Reach Cecil Hurt at cecil@tidesports.com or 205-722-0225.

Pot, meet kettle.

"Avery's .500. Bruce has a better program at .425 or so."

Did someone say they wanted Pearl in Tuscaloosa? What's been basically said about Pearl is that both he and the barn are defending SEC champs. Do you have a stat you can pull out of your azz that says otherwise? And how does that change our problem and what we witnessed Saturday vs Florida?

If you want to jump into this conversation about the state of Alabama basketball, pick a post. There is a ton of replies by yours truly that you can specifically take exception to if you disagree. If you are up for it, which remains to be seen. If you want to continue to throw mud and hope some of it sticks, much like a petulant child, I fear this debate will end as badly for you as many of the others between us.

Ohhh, a little testy are we. I find it of no consequence that Terry and I have shoved statistics in your face for the last month it feels and you continue to ramble on and on about your feelings for the program. I have never hid from your bullshit comments. You're older, think you're wiser than everyone on this board, and a lot of the time you make good points, but your disdain for Alabama basketball is not warranted and cannot be defended whether you believe you're the all knowing or not. Take a seat and put your checkerboard overalls on.

And half the time I don't respond to you is because there is no point in continuing to respond to a fool that cannot get past his own ego. I have a job and a family, so why would I trouble myself and waste the time jabbering with the likes of you and your infinite wisdom when I get so much more out of the rest of life?

Back
Top Bottom