| MBB/WBB Alabama Comes Back from 15-Point Second Half Deficit to Stun No. 1/1 Houston, 71-65

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Huge test tomorrow. I hope to see Alabama handle it well, win or lose. It's another game where the young guys are going to get some valuable experience... I wouldn't imagine they'll face a better defense the rest of the way. Limit turnovers and match their intensity on the boards and Bama will have a good shot. I love that Oats isn't afraid to challenge his teams early in the season like some. On Houston, a couple of things... I'd imagine Kelvin Sampson is looking to embarrass Oats after what transpired following last year's game (not that it was on Oats). Mentioned Houston's defense... they've played 9 games, and it hasn't exactly been a gauntlet, but still... of the 9 teams, only 3 opponents have scored 49+ (none have reached 60).

Houston Schedule
N Colorado W 83-36
Saint Joseph's W 81-55
Oral Roberts W 83-45
Texas Southern W 83-48
@ Oregon W 66-56
Kent State W 49-44
Norfolk St W 100-52
Saint Mary's W 53-48
North Florida W 76-42

Team Defense Stats
#TeamPts-A/GFG-A%3P-A%BPGSPGReb/GReb-A/GReb-M/G
1 Houston47.3330.8922.905.679.7837.7827.0010.78
2 Mississippi State49.6234.5127.074.5011.6240.8828.2512.62
3 Tennessee51.2232.7121.654.7811.7837.8928.899.00

ESPN Matchup Predictor gives Houston a 85% chance of winning. They average creating 18 turnovers a game so I agree with the above post turnovers and rebounding are the keys to this game. Hopefully we will be hot from the 3 pt. line.

Well, a couple of things stand out for sure; First, their schedule pales in comparison to BAMA's thus far. Second, struggle-fest with Kent State and St Mary's with the Oregon close battle to be expected somewhat. They don't allow many points but again, level of competition has to be factored. We need to force them to play at our tempo and not allow them to slow us down to their's.

Hopefully we will be hot from the 3 pt. line.
Screenshot 2022-12-09 1.27.34 PM.png

Bama needs 111 attempts from outside the arc.

GRINNELL, Iowa -- Grinnell College set an NCAA men's basketball record for 3-point attempts when it tried every one of its 111 shots from beyond the arc in the Division III school's 124-67 victory over Emmaus Bible College.
The number eclipsed the 109 3-point shots Troy attempted in its infamous game against DeVry on Jan. 12, 1992, when the Trojans won 258-141 in what is still the highest-scoring game in NCAA history.
Grinnell didn't just shoot a lot of 3s Thursday night; the Pioneers made them. They were 40-of-111 from the field, shot 51.1% in the second half, and their total made 3s is second in NCAA history behind the 42 they made against Emmaus in 2018.
The Pioneers are no strangers to making history.
For years they've used a unique offensive system based on the ideas of Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount in the 1980s and fine-tuned by David Arsenault at Grinnell, which is about halfway between Des Moines and Iowa City. The philosophy is predicated on quick shots, prioritizing 3-pointers, constant full-court pressure and crashing the offensive glass.

View attachment 22824

Bama needs 111 attempts from outside the arc.

GRINNELL, Iowa -- Grinnell College set an NCAA men's basketball record for 3-point attempts when it tried every one of its 111 shots from beyond the arc in the Division III school's 124-67 victory over Emmaus Bible College.
The number eclipsed the 109 3-point shots Troy attempted in its infamous game against DeVry on Jan. 12, 1992, when the Trojans won 258-141 in what is still the highest-scoring game in NCAA history.
Grinnell didn't just shoot a lot of 3s Thursday night; the Pioneers made them. They were 40-of-111 from the field, shot 51.1% in the second half, and their total made 3s is second in NCAA history behind the 42 they made against Emmaus in 2018.
The Pioneers are no strangers to making history.
For years they've used a unique offensive system based on the ideas of Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount in the 1980s and fine-tuned by David Arsenault at Grinnell, which is about halfway between Des Moines and Iowa City. The philosophy is predicated on quick shots, prioritizing 3-pointers, constant full-court pressure and crashing the offensive glass.

The 3 pt. shot is the great equalizer in college basketball.

Houston is not exactly battle tested while we have already played some really good teams. Not saying that gives us the edge or that they will play poorly, but I don't think we'll be knocking the rust off as much against an athletic team like maybe they will be forced to with us. I also think they are a really good team, just stating these early season big game schedules Oats has worked in puts us in a great spot in my eyes.

After the way the game ended last year in BAMA , I expect a real physical game and the crowd will be lit because of it as well .

I believe BAMA can win but they must be able to block out the crowd and play within there selves and hold on to the ball .

Down 31-27 at half. Houston playing like Houston. Bama with 12 turnovers, 3 for them. Worse though is, Bama is just 5-11 from the FT line, a few of which were front end 1-and-1's. Have played well on defense and gotten some decent looks on offense considering.

Back
Top Bottom