| PRO Alabama and the NFL Draft : April 28th - 30th.~ BAMA has tied Miami for the most consecutive drafts with a first round pick

JAD, in my opinion, should have stayed another year. He’s now 4th round at best. Contracts for 4th rounders are 4 years and between $3MM and $3.3MM depending on which end of the draft you are selected. I believe he has the talent to be a higher pick with more refining and experience. 2nd round contracts are $4.6MM to $7.6MM for comparison. (This was the 2019 contracts, has gone up slightly since going down in 2020 due to Covid, but very close.) I still think another year for Ronnie Harrison Jr. would have made him some more money also but at least he went 3rd round.

So 4th round is now $4.1MM to $4.5MM downing on order selected and 2nd round is $5.8MM to $9.3MM. I think he could be a 2nd rounder with a little more work and experience. But I admit, this isn’t my area of expertise. He’s got people in his camp advising him that do this for a living. Difference between middle of 2nd round and middle of 4th round? $3.3MM over the 4 years.

So 4th round is now $4.1MM to $4.5MM downing on order selected and 2nd round is $5.8MM to $9.3MM. I think he could be a 2nd rounder with a little more work and experience. But I admit, this isn’t my area of expertise. He’s got people in his camp advising him that do this for a living. Difference between middle of 2nd round and middle of 4th round? $3.3MM over the 4 years.
Still a lot of money....and you stay....you lose the 3.3....take 2 years to make it back...
If you get hurt...might not get anything ( maybe insurance)...

Take the money....now....I understand that

I saw JAD came off the board to Baltimore in the 4th round. I'm a little confused on how he jumped ahead of Jobe in terms of draft status... Thought Jobe had a better career and was a better player in general, particularly his ability to tackle & play with physicality.

Agree with with @Rolltide24 that JAD could have really helped hismelf coming back another year. But maybe he saw himself in a real position battle next season...

Lots of potential though! Probably higher upside with the athleticism than Jobe. He will be with Humphrey, it will be fun to watch!

Lifes a gamble
Few on here walked outta college with 750$k.
On my last day at Livingston (as a freshmen 1969) I had to meet with Dr Asa Green and tell him I was withdrawing and going home (Coach Higgenboatham setup the meeting) and he said "Son, you will get drafted (army not MFL..LOL). With much respect I listened to who his deal and left anyway. Hitched a ride home with FB Mike Doss from Bessemer and he let me out at Woodstock. I walked about a 100 yards and my uncle came along and took me home. Lovesick and homesick but the Good Lord got me home. The only thing in my life I ever quit was football in 1969. I am 71 and today I regret that mistake more than anything in my life.

This is a site that has the draft in order by selection with the projected salary.

In millions

Neal 24
Williams 17
Metchie 8
Mathis 7.5
Harris 5.3
Robinson 5
JAD 4,4
More than what these guy would get from the NIL deaL

UGA had 15 players drafted … that’s an amazing record for sure. Truly. Now, let’s see if Smart can keep them at or near the top after losing that much talent and experience in one fell swoop. It’s one of the many things that has separated Saban from everyone else. Like Saban, Smart certainly has recruited extremely well. So, he will have the talent to fill those spots … but they will have very little experience. Saban somehow overcomes that year after year. Will Kirby? I wouldn’t bet on him being able to match his teacher in this regard. The question then becomes will UGA pull a LSU and fall off the map? I probably wouldn’t bet on that either. They’ll most likely remain a top 25 team … after all they are in the East.

UGA had 15 players drafted … that’s an amazing record for sure. Truly. Now, let’s see if Smart can keep them at or near the top after losing that much talent and experience in one fell swoop. It’s one of the many things that has separated Saban from everyone else. Like Saban, Smart certainly has recruited extremely well. So, he will have the talent to fill those spots … but they will have very little experience. Saban somehow overcomes that year after year. Will Kirby? I wouldn’t bet on him being able to match his teacher in this regard. The question then becomes will UGA pull a LSU and fall off the map? I probably wouldn’t bet on that either. They’ll most likely remain a top 25 team … after all they are in the East.

Don't forget the one just recently indicted for rape.

I noticed Clemson only had 2 guys selected, a 2nd rounder and a 7th rounder. Are we to be afraid of the fighting Dabos since he’s got his whole team coming back? At least the ones that didn’t enter the portal and all his coordinators. I’d hope recruits are watching them missing in action on draft day.

Rough deal to see Jobe & Chris Allen go undrafted. Obviously there were some medical issues that teams just couldn't get past. Jobe was in the convo coming into this year as a 2nd round type of talent, Chris Allen had that potential as well. Feel bad for both, but they'll both get a chance to some extent

Recruiting analysis isn’t a science and it’s not art either but by and large the recruiting guru’s get it right more often than not. Though when they miss, they can miss big. Which analysts would have projected the (1 Star) o-lineman named Strange to be a future 1st Rounder and the (5 Star) LaBryan to be an UFA? Of course, they can’t predict things like a player being injury prone or understand Belichick’s unusual draft vision. Look at Sauce versus Jobe. 247 thought Jobe was the 40th rated player in the nation and their composite had Sauce as the 1,672 rated player. Yet one went number 4 in the draft and one went undrafted … but not in the order they would have predicted. That’s why I’m glad I don’t have to do that for a living but it’s also why I don’t sweat recruiting battles very much.

Where’s @OldPlayer ? Slade is 118th of the best available after the 7th rounds picks are done. I remember our surprise when he announced he was going to the league. Or putting his name in the hat.
I truly do not understand what Slade was thinking. In his case, would one more season with Bama have hurt his draft stock? Obviously not … even if he thought he wouldn’t play much, it still wouldn’t have affected him in the draft. A head scratcher for sure.

Back
Top Bottom