| FTBL A stab at the spring depth chart...

I

imported_Porter

This is my best guess at what things will look like as spring ball begins. It will likely turn out to be completely inaccurate, but what the hell! :D

OFFENSE

Quarterback
14 - John Parker Wilson (SR) 6-2 213
17 - Greg McElroy (SO) 6-3 218
18 - Nick Fanuzzi (SO) 6-3 201

Halfback
29 - Terry Grant (SO) 5-10 188
38 - Glen Coffee (JR) 6-2 197
5 - Roy Upchurch (JR) 6-0 192
33 - Demetrius Goode (RF) 5-10 197
30 - Jonathan Lowe (SR) 5-7 184

Fullback
40 - Baron Huber (JR) 6-3 242
34 - Jeramie Griffin (RF) 6-0 225
30 - Patrick Hanrahan (SO) 6-0 232

Tight End
88 - Nick Walker (SR) 6-5 255
83 - Travis McCall (SR) 6-2 261
85 - Preston Dial (SO) 6-3 223
87 - Chris Underwood (RF) 6-4 226
89 - Charles Hoke (SR) 6-7 253

Left Tackle
71 - Andre Smith (JR) 6-5 340
79 - Drew Davis (JR) 6-7 276

Left Guard
59 - Antoine Caldwell (SR) 6-3 292
74 - David Ross (SO) 6-2 297

Center
70 - Evan Cardwell (JR) 6-2 278
73 - William Vlachos (SO) 6-1 295

Right Guard
76 - Marlon Davis (SR) 6-4 290
69 - Patrick Crump (RF) 6-3 267

Right Tackle
78 - Mike Johnson (JR) 6-6 298
68 - Taylor Pharr (SO) 6-6 281

Wide Receiver
9 - Nikita Stover (SR) 6-0 207
82 - Earl Alexander (SO) 6-5 210
15 - Darius Hanks (SO) 6-0 190
XX - Chris Jackson (TF) 6-1 195

Wide Receiver
80 - Mike McCoy (JR) 6-3 199
84 - Brandon Gibson (RF) 6-1 192
7 - Will Oakley (SR) 6-1 196
4 - Marquis Maze (RF) 5-9 167

DEFENSE

Defensive End
96 - Luther Davis (SO) 6-4 275
90 - Milton Talbert (SO) 6-3 252

Nose Tackle
97 - Lorenzo Washington (JR) 6-4 283
66 - Brian Motley (SO) 6-2 280
99 - Josh Chapman (SO) 6-1 300
52 - Alfred McCollough (SO) 6-2 317
58 - Nick Gentry (SO) 6-1 263

Defensive End
95 - Brandon Deaderick (JR) 6-4 286
93 - Bobby Greenwood (SR) 6-5 267

Weakside Linebacker
45 - Charlie Higgenbotham (SO) 6-1 211
10 - Jimmy Johns (SR) 6-2 233
42 - Jennings Hester (RF) 6-2 224

Middle Linebacker
25 - Rolando McClain (SO) 6-4 255
32 - Eryk Anders (JR) 6-2 225
13 - Cory Reamer (SR) 6-4 223

Strongside Linebacker
47 - Ezekiel Knight (SR) 6-4 235
35 - Charlie Kirschman (SO) 6-2 225

Jack Linebacker
98 - Brandon Fanney (JR) 6-4 241
55 - Chavis Williams (SO) 6-4 214
91 - Alex Watkins (RF) 6-3 218

Left Cornerback
16 - Lionel Mitchell (SR) 6-2 182
24 - Marquis Johnson (JR) 5-11 186
19 - Tarence Farmer (RF) 6-0 195

Free Safety
49 - Rashad Johnson (SR) 6-0 187
28 - Javier Arenas (JR) 5-9 193
8 - Chris Rogers (JR) 5-10 192

Strong Safety
26 - Ali Sharrief (JR) 5-9 197
27 - Justin Woodall (JR) 6-2 224
43 - Sam Burnthall (JR) 6-2 185

Right Cornerback
3 - Kareem Jackson (SO) 5-11 185
23 - Tremayne Coger (SO) 5-11 190

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punt Returner
28 - Javier Arenas (JR) 5-9 193

Kickoff Returners
28 - Javier Arenas (SO) 5-9 193

Punter
xx - Corey Smith (TF) 6-1 195
97 - PJ Fitzgerald (JR) 5-11 194
77 - Adam Hill (SO) 6-2 192

Place-kicker
99 - Leigh Tiffin (JR) 6-1 198
97 - Andrew Friedman (JR) 6-1 210

Kickoffs
99 - Leigh Tiffin (JR) 6-1 198

(RF) = Redshirt Freshman
(TF) = True Freshman

--------------------------------------------

-I almost put Alfred McCollough at offensive guard, as it is rumored that if he can't drop some weight, he will be moved there.

-Sorting out the LB'ers is one hell of a puzzle. To me, that was by far the toughest position(s) to guess. When the new guys report in August (Harris, Hightower, Harbin, Upshaw), that will shore up those spots tremendously.

-We are thin, thin, thin at defensive end. It sucks not being able to add Jeremy Elder's name there. I bet Lorenzo Washington gets some reps there.

-If Antoine Caldwell moves to left guard, and I have a hunch he will, our left side is going to be downright sick.

-I don't think very much room separates the first 4 guys at RB, and I think Demetrius Goode will move up the ranks as he gets some carries and shakes off the rust.

-I bet Rolando McClain will get some reps at Jack. The only issue is, robbing Peter to pay Paul, but you can afford to do that in the spring.

this will be the first post of this kind that i make over the course of the next few months/years but i will go ahead and say that Rolando McLain will be a two time all-american

Pooter,
I noticed you have Zeke penciled in as the starting Strongside LB. Is this from info you've heard that his medical condition is not going to keep him from playing?

Bama Bo said:
Pooter,
I noticed you have Zeke penciled in as the starting Strongside LB. Is this from info you've heard that his medical condition is not going to keep him from playing?

I saw a thread pop up on a site just the other day stating he was back working out with the team...and, that thread has spread to a few other sites. He very well may be back with the team. I surely hope so...

All that said, there are stories coming out of T-town that have several of those listed on this depth chart as possibly not on the best graces of Saban right now. FWIW, the names I've see don't shock me because they've been in trouble in the past.

I agree with just about the whole thing Porter. Those WR's better work as hard as they can in the Spring, because once the incoming class gets there, they're going to have their hands full.

One thing that surprised me was that you had Baron Huber in front of Griffin.

There are so many spots on our defense that are up for grabs. The whole defensive line is up for grabs, a couple of LB spots (I think Rolando and Zeke will definately start if they're healthy), and then the CB spot opposite of Kareem Jackson is wide open (Alonzo Lawrence and BJ Scott might have something to say about that once they get on campus). And also, the safety spot opposite of Rashad Johnson is wide open, and I'd imagine that Mark Barron will push for that spot early and often once he gets on campus.

I'll be interested to see what Corey Smith can do on punts. What Jimmy Johns does at LB. What Luther Davis looks like at DE. And I'm interested to see if this is the year that Earl Alexander steps up and earns a starting spot.

won't Terry Grant be a sophomore in the 08 season? he was a freshman in the 07 season. i think Lowe will give Grant some good competition in the Spring. call me crazy but i think he will be #2 on the depth chart. Grant did very well last season, especially for having a hip pointer for half of it. can't wait to see him healthy with plenty of depth in the backfield. i don't think the running game will be a problem in 08. i know we only saw glimpses of Lowe in 07, but i thought he looked pretty good. he seems very quick and adds a nice spark.

runswithscissors said:
won't Terry Grant be a sophomore in the 08 season?

Yes, thanks. He was granted a medical redshirt for his original freshman season. There are probably a couple of other mistakes like that in there somewhere.

Bama Bo said:
Pooter,

Terry already answered but, it was relayed to me the other day that he had resumed workouts. I took that as a positive sign.

What's going to be of the greatest interest for me is what the depth chart looks like coming out of spring, versus what it'll look like coming out of fall camp.

But, this a the beginning of the spring roster...

Halfback and Fullback will shake out differently as will the two WR rotations.

On defense, like Porter, I don't even want to hazard a guess on the linebacking corps. If Zeke is healthy, I think we'll see him and Rolando but the question is where, not if, in my book. I think we'll see Williams over Fanney, and I just don't see Mitchell getting the nod at that CB slot.

TerryP said:
What's going to be of the greatest interest for me is what the depth chart looks like coming out of spring, versus what it'll look like coming out of fall camp.

But, this a the beginning of the spring roster...

Halfback and Fullback will shake out differently as will the two WR rotations.

On defense, like Porter, I don't even want to hazard a guess on the linebacking corps. If Zeke is healthy, I think we'll see him and Rolando but the question is where, not if, in my book. I think we'll see Williams over Fanney, and I just don't see Mitchell getting the nod at that CB slot.

I bet Arenas will get a look at corner again.

Porterhouse said:

I believe so as well. Possibly, seeing a starting role leaving spring but ending up being the 3rd CB when we go into our nickel formation.

Looking past spring, thinking about the nickel, if Barron ends up taking that safety spot we'll have CB speed across the board.

It's the few times we might go into a dime package that I really wonder what I'll DB rotation will look like...and, in the fall, I don't have the feeling that Mitchell will be in that rotation.

TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:

I believe so as well. Possibly, seeing a starting role leaving spring but ending up being the 3rd CB when we go into our nickel formation.

Looking past spring, thinking about the nickel, if Barron ends up taking that safety spot we'll have CB speed across the board.

It's the few times we might go into a dime package that I really wonder what I'll DB rotation will look like...and, in the fall, I don't have the feeling that Mitchell will be in that rotation.

Yeah, I think he'll likely be the odd man out by then.

Porterhouse said:
-I almost put Alfred McCollough at offensive guard, as it is rumored that if he can't drop some weight, he will be moved there.

-We are thin, thin, thin at defensive end. It sucks not being able to add Jeremy Elder's name there. I bet Lorenzo Washington gets some reps there.

why would mccollough be moved to OL when we plan to use a near 400 pounder at NT? obviously in a 3-4, the NT isn't expected to be mobile.

and i'm willing to bet anything washington will be moved to DE for good.

musso said:
Porterhouse said:

why would mccollough be moved to OL when we plan to use a near 400 pounder at NT? obviously in a 3-4, the NT isn't expected to be mobile.

and i'm willing to bet anything washington will be moved to DE for good.

Cody will be a run stuffer and used in certain situations (3rd and short, goal line, etc.), IMO. I don't think he'll be a guy like Motley, Washington, or Chapman who will play an entire series at the nose. I think the *possible* move of Alfred has to do with the fact that they feel good about the depth at nose as of now, and if he doesn't shed some pounds, he's going to be 4th on the depth chart there... meanwhile, things are thin on the offensive line. I'm not certain that he will make the move, but I have heard from more than one person that he was told that was a strong possibility if he didn't cut some weight before spring practice.

With Prince Hall removed, and Zeke's status still uncertain, the LB situation just went from bad to worse. Hightower, Harris, & Upshaw best be getting ready.

Porterhouse said:
With Prince Hall removed, and Zeke's status still uncertain, the LB situation just went from bad to worse. Hightower, Harris, & Upshaw best be getting ready.

Loud and clear brother,loud and clear.
Seems we can't shore that position up for nothing.

Porterhouse said:

This falls right in line with what we were discussing a few weeks ago...we very well may see 3 different players on the LB corps starting next season. I don't think it's going to take much of a push to replace Fanney, Hall not being around, and Zeke may be out of the picture as well.

But, I'm not worried about it...Chavis is a good one to take over Fanney's role right now.

Back
Top Bottom