| FTBL A Question for the LSU fans

LSUstudent said:

The 2005 Texas team was a buzz saw to every team they played, with the exception being a close road win at an eventual 10-2 Ohio State.

The same can be said for Miami of 2001 and the back-to-back national title teams of Nebraska in 1994 and 1995.

I didn't do any research on this, so I'm sure I'm leaving out a few that have done this in the modern era. Any way you look at it, though, you have to admit that it can be done.

What we're really giving you here are underhanded compliments. What I'm saying is that LSU is talented enough to not even have to break a sweat against inferior opponents. Yet, they've already wound up losing to one so far this year.

LSUstudent said:
first off, please don't ever assume LSU nation is summed up by tigerdroppings. Secondly, I do not feel that this team has underachieved. We have won some close games against some really good teams. If being considered as one of the best teams in the nation is underachieving, then I think we would all wish to underachieve every year. Les will win this one and all will be swell.

By the way Bear Facts, I am from the Lake Charles area so i know the fans and the area over yonder

Then you are fairly close to my wife's hometown around the Elton/Kinder area. Btw, you ain't my nephew who is trying to get in law school, are you? :D

I have had opportunities to watch LSU play all but one game this season, and to me, they just don't look as great as they are built up to be, especially their secondary. If a team can keep LSU's defensive line at bay long enough for their QB to throw, they can march up and down the field on the Tigers.

Also noticed that LSU's defensive speed can be neutralized effectively if the team continues to run straight at them. Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn had some success at this, picking up 156, 125, and 97 yards respectively.

What really surprised me was Brandon Cox of Auburn throwing for 199 yards against LSU. Of course, USC and Kentucky each threw for over 200 yards against the Tigers. LSU secondary = Achilles' heel.

I just cannot believe so many folks are convinced that LSU is far superior to Alabama. I don't buy it. I do worry about Bama's DL against LSU's OL, but other than that I believe the Tide can hold its own. One key for Bama will be to consistently keep LSU out of those 3rd and short situations, and they will need to find ways to keep Flynn from getting comfortable. It's the QB draw stuff, Hester up the middle (and those little dump passes to him), and the passes to the TE in the red zone that concerns me the most.

Couple of things. LSU is good this year. This team isnt the type that will be discussed as one of the best teams EVER. Every team mentioned by elephantitis (or whatever) is in that converstion. Its a good point, but I think it doesnt apply to this team...

And Bear Facts. Im actually real close. Im from the same parish as Elton. Im sure you know, but big number 97 on defensive line for LSU is Al Woods, who is from Elton. He's the next Dorsey. He should get some playing time saturday. And, unfortunately for you, I am not your nephew. Im sorry haha.
Try not to get to caught up in the defensive stats. While they are important, they often dont reflect the game. Auburn got virtually All of their yards in the first half, which if you watched was a dismal performance by LSU. Same with florida and same with USC in 4th quarter against our scrubs. Your DL should be able to have some success as our OL has proven weak in the past (see Tulane 1st half). Unfortunately I know basically nothing about Bama except that it choked against Georgia and sucked against the Semenholes. Everything you said is somewhat valid for the most part, but you missed what I think is the big X Factor, and that is Early Doucet. He is so good, and when he is on, Flynn is on. It should be a good one, I dont remember the last time I couldnt sleep on the weekdays of a game week...Also I have a test tomorrow at 10:30 and here I am haha

LSUstudent said:
Couple of things. LSU is good this year. This team isnt the type that will be discussed as one of the best teams EVER. Every team mentioned by elephantitis (or whatever) is in that converstion. Its a good point, but I think it doesnt apply to this team...

It doesn't apply to this team because they underachieve. This is the second consecutive year they've done so.

I think this team is talented enough and deep enough to be mentioned in the same sentence with the dominant teams of all-time. Not only have 9/10 of your former blue-chip prospects produced, but you've gotten several stars out of your less touted guys -- Zenon, Hester, LaFell, Holliday, etc. You've got an all-world team yet again, but LSU hasn't won an SEC Championship since 2003. Something is wrong with that picture.

I will say, however, that I see where you're coming from. I know it's tough to cruise through this conference, although, I think you guys are certainly capable. I just can't help to think about the extra hardware that would be in Baton Rouge if Saban was still the Tigers' head coach. And, I'm not saying that because he's ours. I gotta' give credit, as well as criticism, where it's due.

No no...our 2003 team was better than this one. It won some very close games that should have been blowouts and was blownout by florida. I dont think it has anything to do with Miles or Saban, I think this team got exactly what it needed. A loss to bring us back to earth, a solid win against the gays, and a week off to come back on fire...just like in 2003. Oh and I wouldnt call it a shame that LSU didnt win the SEC last year when Florida was clearly the team in the SEC last year. I think they went on to lose a close game in a pretty good bowl, like the Independence bowl. Oh no wait that was your team.

LSUstudent said:

And Bear Facts. Im actually real close. Im from the same parish as Elton. Im sure you know, but big number 97 on defensive line for LSU is Al Woods, who is from Elton. He's the next Dorsey. He should get some playing time saturday. And, unfortunately for you, I am not your nephew. Im sorry haha.

My wife is from Allen Parish and so is my nephew. He is a senior (getting his undergrad degree in three years) at LSU and plans to apply to law school. You may even know him; He graduated from Kinder High three years ago as valedictorian, fairly decent golfer, too. My wife knows Al Woods' family, but then again everyone practically knows each other in Elton, right?

You better log off and go study for that exam. Now what professor would schedule a test the morning after Halloween? :evil: There'll be plenty of time for more game talk.

LSUstudent said:
Whenever LSU lost to UAB several years ago, Saban wasn't really called out. Some people wanted his head, but for the most part we still didnt know what he or LSU were capable of accomplishing.

I can't argue with you assesment. I'm not sure that the qoute would be the best comparison though. That was Saban's 3rd or 4th game of his first season at LSU. The talent level was much lower than what he has at Alabama for his first season. I don't think you'd find many that would argue against the fact the talent level at LSU now is 5 times better than it was in 2001. If Alabama can pull of the upset, I think more LSU fans than you think will be questioning Mile, perhaps privetly, but questioning none the less.

LSU lost to KENTUCKY!!!!! Thats underachieving at its grandest!

LSU faithful will be in MELTDOWN if Miles loses this game (im afraid this is our only hope is MIles LOSING the game)

shipley00 said:
LSUstudent said:
Whenever LSU lost to UAB several years ago, Saban wasn't really called out. Some people wanted his head, but for the most part we still didnt know what he or LSU were capable of accomplishing.

I can't argue with you assesment. I'm not sure that the qoute would be the best comparison though. That was Saban's 3rd or 4th game of his first season at LSU. The talent level was much lower than what he has at Alabama for his first season. I don't think you'd find many that would argue against the fact the talent level at LSU now is 5 times better than it was in 2001. If Alabama can pull of the upset, I think more LSU fans than you think will be questioning Mile, perhaps privetly, but questioning none the less.

He took them to 8 wins and a Peach Bowl victory in his first season. The second year, they were hoisting the trophy in Atlanta.

That's even more impressive when you considering the dismal state LSU football was in before he arrived. They went 4-7 in 1998 and 3-8 in 1999.

Elephantitis said:
shipley00 said:
LSUstudent said:

He took them to 8 wins and a Peach Bowl victory in his first season. The second year, they were hoisting the trophy in Atlanta.

That's even more impressive when you considering the dismal state LSU football was in before he arrived. They went 4-7 in 1998 and 3-8 in 1999.

the talent was not as bad as everyone thinks when saban got here. That 4-7 team was pre-season #6 and called by everyone the most under-achieving team of the year.

bayoulsucajun said:
Elephantitis said:
shipley00 said:
LSUstudent said:

the talent was not as bad as everyone thinks when saban got here. That 4-7 team was pre-season #6 and called by everyone the most under-achieving team of the year.

Two years before he got there, they had high expectations. You're right, that makes all the difference in the world, and far more important than actual records.

BAMAFSTBACK said:
So then what happened with the 99 team? They must have significantly underachieved!

Yes they did under-acheive as well. There was talent here. Not near as much as there is now. There was definitely 8-3 not 3-8 talent though. Saban did a good job with that talent, but there was talent

bear facts said:
What will be Coach Miles' fate should he lose on Saturday?

Could we have repercussions similar to those surrounding Mike Archer's demise after his visited BDS in 1990?

Here's a link to the recap of the game:

Recap

Some claim that what transpired in the fourth quarter was really the final act, which set the wheels in motion for Archer's firing, though dropping 4 out of LSU's last 5 games didn't help matters.

After the Bama game, Archer was harshly criticized for sending in 3rd-string qb Moock while LSU was pinned back near the endzone and Bama up only 10-3 with over 13 minutes left in the game. LSU called a pass play out in the flat and Bama's Spencer Hammond intercepted, returning it 12 yards for a TD. LSU never recovered after that.

From the get-go, some LSU supporters were not happy when Mike Archer was named head coach in 1987, and for good reason--a contingency of LSU supporters were not keen with the decision to turn over a nationally-respected team to a young coach with no previous head coaching experience. Archer was chosen over a number of interviewed candidates, which reportedly included Steve Spurrier, Mike Shanahan and Mack Brown. Ironically, Arnsparger would later hire Spurrier at Florida, and the Gators would become a national powerhouse.

There are rumblings amongst Tiger fans right now, questioning Miles' competency as a head coach, so what will likely happen to Coach Miles should Alabama defeat LSU on Saturday?

How about answering my original question, bayou? LSUstudent did.

LSU fans would be very upset. Always are after a loss. A lot more so here. Don't think we want this game any more than we wanted to beat Auburn or UF. If it weren't for Saban there may not be that much emotion at all. I don't understand it. The man did what he thought was in his best interests and he brought a lot to our program.

As far as Tulane goes, MF could not move that helped Tulane. In the second half, LSU quit messing around and just ran it down their throats. LSU can and will run the ball. AU had not allowed over 100 yards rushing until they played LSU. UF had not allowed the number of yards rushing before or since they played us.

As far as the UF game goes, that is the hardest hitting game I have ever seen. It was intense emotianally and physically. I will not take anything away from UK, but had we played them any other week, it would not have turned out the way it did. Ask UK how they felt after two physical games against LSU and UF. Why do you think they laid an egg against MSU?

This conference is brutal. Bama has only lost one conference game. That gets your attention regardless of the past. How did fans feel after you lost to a horrible FSU team? Why did you lose to a team that you are superior to (talent wise, coaching, etc)?

This game is going to be extremely hard hitting, trust me. Nick knows it as this is how he developed our program and what he is now bringing to yours. He helped establish our identity. And Miles (whether people like him or not) is a smash mouth coach having learned under Bo S. This will be the main difference between LSU and UT. Everytime UT gets punched in the mouth, they fold. They did it against Cal, UF and you guys (even against PSU last year).

If we lose you will hear some grumblings, but personally losing to a storied program and a fine football team to me would not be a disgrace. If we were to lose, of more interest to me would be how we lost. A fluke play where the kids fight their butts off. NEVER a Disgrace. If they laydown like UT, I'll throw up.

tigerfan said:
LSU fans would be very upset. Always are after a loss. A lot more so here. Don't think we want this game any more than we wanted to beat Auburn or UF. If it weren't for Saban there may not be that much emotion at all. I don't understand it. The man did what he thought was in his best interests and he brought a lot to our program.

As far as Tulane goes, MF could not move that helped Tulane. In the second half, LSU quit messing around and just ran it down their throats. LSU can and will run the ball. AU had not allowed over 100 yards rushing until they played LSU. UF had not allowed the number of yards rushing before or since they played us.

As far as the UF game goes, that is the hardest hitting game I have ever seen. It was intense emotianally and physically. I will not take anything away from UK, but had we played them any other week, it would not have turned out the way it did. Ask UK how they felt after two physical games against LSU and UF. Why do you think they laid an egg against MSU?

This conference is brutal. Bama has only lost one conference game. That gets your attention regardless of the past. How did fans feel after you lost to a horrible FSU team? Why did you lose to a team that you are superior to (talent wise, coaching, etc)?

This game is going to be extremely hard hitting, trust me. Nick knows it as this is how he developed our program and what he is now bringing to yours. He helped establish our identity. And Miles (whether people like him or not) is a smash mouth coach having learned under Bo S. This will be the main difference between LSU and UT. Everytime UT gets punched in the mouth, they fold. They did it against Cal, UF and you guys (even against PSU last year).

If we lose you will hear some grumblings, but personally losing to a storied program and a fine football team to me would not be a disgrace. If we were to lose, of more interest to me would be how we lost. A fluke play where the kids fight their butts off. NEVER a Disgrace. If they laydown like UT, I'll throw up.

Excellent post, tigerfan. Yes, MF was not 100% mobility-wise against Tulane, but what surprised me was the pressure that the Green Wave defense put on LSU the first half. I kept wondering what was wrong with the OL; I had not seen them that porous in years.

And your point about having to play two consecutive physical games against Florida and Kentucky is on target. In fact, I do believe that was the most physical I have ever seen Kentucky play. LSU fans really should be grateful for this off week. Having to play Auburn and Bama with no break would have been brutal as well.

As far as folding, LSU has come a long way in that respect. It's something that Saban was able to exorcise under his tenure, and Miles continues to maintain that never-give-up mentality. Previous to Saban's tenure, I witnessed several LSU games where both players and fans gave up, but not anymore.

Here's to a great game and once that first kickoff occurs, I hope most of the attention focuses on the players laying it all out on the field.

Have a safe trip if you are going to the game.

Back
Top Bottom