| FOOD A Mt. Dew Cheesecake.

I was thinking that sounds like a Taco Bell thing before I even opened the post...

Along the lines, ate at Half Shell in Tuscaloosa yesterday... they had their table template thingies showcasing crawfish cheesecake. Was tempted, but passed...

I was thinking that sounds like a Taco Bell thing before I even opened the post...

Along the lines, ate at Half Shell in Tuscaloosa yesterday... they had their table template thingies showcasing crawfish cheesecake. Was tempted, but passed...

We went Half Shell in Trussville before we went to ACTA for 12 Angry Men. They were advertising that, too. They don't have the smoked tuna dip on the menu anymore. My wife was just a taaaaaad disappointed. My dad loves fried shrimp. Their shrimp is now fried in meal, not flour. Didn't like that at all.

We used to love that place (Pelham place in particular). Now... :confused:

My dad loves fried shrimp. Their shrimp is now fried in meal, not flour. Didn't like that at allMy dad loves fried shrimp. Their shrimp is now fried in meal, not flour. Didn't like that at all.
OK...now you've hit a nerve. 🙃 The following is my opinion based on ... well, eating freshly caught shrimp for years.

First of all, if you are going to eat fried shrimp it needs to be pan-fried. When it's a fried, breaded shrimp ... changing the main taste to the breading instead of the meat. IE: Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich; the Chic-Fil-A Original.

That said, using corn meal is akin to grits. You HAVE to see where they are coming from...Marsh Hen Mill does a great job with their corn meal which translates nicely with a little salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic.

We went Half Shell in Trussville before we went to ACTA for 12 Angry Men. They were advertising that, too. They don't have the smoked tuna dip on the menu anymore. My wife was just a taaaaaad disappointed. My dad loves fried shrimp. Their shrimp is now fried in meal, not flour. Didn't like that at all.

We used to love that place (Pelham place in particular). Now... :confused:

It was my first time eating inside there... I'd only had some small takeout samples previously. I normally steer clear of seafood places unless I'm down on the gulf (or a coast somewhere), but I was in the mood for seafood pasta and I'd had their boudin balls before and I enjoy them well enough... so that combo was my meal. What I'd really like is the cajun seafood pasta from Wintzell's... but I'd have to wait another month to get it.

From their menu...

Seafood Pasta
Gulf shrimp, crawfish, portabella mushrooms and seasonings, tossed with linguini and creole Alfredo. Topped with lump crabmeat and Parmesan cheese.
I've done a variation of that a few times. I don't use crawfish and I don't have anything about crawfish.

What I threw together this weekend and that? Even though it's the same "title," they are two different dishes.

Shrimp, crab, celery, red pepper, white and red onion, elbow noodles ... finished off with a creamy white wine sauce.

Hot, versus cold.

I've done a variation of that a few times. I don't use crawfish and I don't have anything about crawfish.

What I threw together this weekend and that? Even though it's the same "title," they are two different dishes.

Shrimp, crab, celery, red pepper, white and red onion, elbow noodles ... finished off with a creamy white wine sauce.

Hot, versus cold.

The older I get the more I love pasta, especially of the seafood variety. I'll make some versions of seafood pasta occasionally when I have fresh shrimp. There used to me a small, very casual Italian spot in Daphne called Papa's Place. It was open for years until it closed fairly recently... they had a pasta dish that was a top 5 AL dish for me... shrimp, mushrooms, bacon, and scallions over pasta alfredo. It was amazing, and for the longest, it was an off the menu item. But paired with their caesar salad and garlic bread... man...

OK...now you've hit a nerve. 🙃 The following is my opinion based on ... well, eating freshly caught shrimp for years.

First of all, if you are going to eat fried shrimp it needs to be pan-fried. When it's a fried, breaded shrimp ... changing the main taste to the breading instead of the meat. IE: Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich; the Chic-Fil-A Original.

That said, using corn meal is akin to grits. You HAVE to see where they are coming from...Marsh Hen Mill does a great job with their corn meal which translates nicely with a little salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic.

The shrimp was...squishy. Kinda flavorless too.

The shrimp was...squishy. Kinda flavorless too.
Right there/here. @Brandon Van de Graaff This is the reason I'm so picky about where I get my shrimp and how I handle them.

If the shrimp are harvested and then left out too long? Mushy.

If the shrimp are harvested but the heads aren't removed quickly? Mushy.

How were they thawed (considering you are eating at an 'in-land' restaurant?) Just left on the counter? Mushy. I hope the good lord will forgive them if they used a microwave: again, mushy.

Side note: I'm sure you've had dishes where they used the ham bone for flavor. Here's a tip for you are into eating seafood dishes. Save the shells (shrimp, crab, lobster, etc.)

IF you like chowders, you'll love the flavor you can get from those shells in a bisque.

Right there/here. @Brandon Van de Graaff This is the reason I'm so picky about where I get my shrimp and how I handle them.

If the shrimp are harvested and then left out too long? Mushy.

If the shrimp are harvested but the heads aren't removed quickly? Mushy.

How were they thawed (considering you are eating at an 'in-land' restaurant?) Just left on the counter? Mushy. I hope the good lord will forgive them if they used a microwave: again, mushy.

Side note: I'm sure you've had dishes where they used the ham bone for flavor. Here's a tip for you are into eating seafood dishes. Save the shells (shrimp, crab, lobster, etc.)

IF you like chowders, you'll love the flavor you can get from those shells in a bisque.
Yessss, I make shrimp/crab stock on occasion. Also fresh gulf shrimp are the very best…..
I’ll occasionally eat shrimp at a restaurant but when I/we buy fresh and cook them “it just means more”!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom