| FTBL Will the cow college be a flop this year?

BigAl

Verified Member
They have a brand new qb and a new offensive and defensive coordinators and no real WR's that i know of. Quinton Groves is gone. So why do some of these idiots pick them to be so good this year?

I would not consider Phil Steele an idiot, and he listed au at #4 today on his 2008 Surprise Teams. Those are teams not ranked Preseason Top 10 that he thinks has a chance to make it to the BCSCG. There have been only 3 teams since 2000 that made it to the Championship game that were not ranked in the Preseason Top 10 and all 3 were on his Surprise Team list in that particular year.

Usually when Auburn is picked high they disappoint. Hope that trend continues. I'm surprised they're picked ahead of LSU though.

On offense I think they liked what they saw in the the bowl game against Clemson. They're very deep at RB and their entire offensive line is returning intact. It'll be interesting to see if the Juco xfer Chris Todd can challenge Cody Burns at QB.

Their defense will be as good as ever -- if not better. Their front seven is stout.

As much as we hate it, I'm afraid they're going to be pretty good.

The SEC is so tight, teams are already so even, that the West winner will be determined by the smallest of things.

LSU has no experience at QB. How the eventual starter responds to an SEC schedule is a considerable question mark. Plus, they will have a new DC. The door is open for growing pains there.

Auburn does not have a returning QB, has a new DC, and only one game under their belt with a new OC. LBS' opinion is that all of this is too big of a door to allow them to win the West.

Bama has the the new OC and is still a year away from have the numbers of upper classmen studs that LSU and Auburn has.

The other three teams have too much to overcome. With that said, any of the big three can make it happen.

If Auburn is a threat to be a surprise team, Bama should be too, and I don't see that happening for any of the West teams.

BigAl said:
They have a brand new qb and a new offensive and defensive coordinators and no real WR's that i know of. Quinton Groves is gone. So why do some of these idiots pick them to be so good this year?
Unfortunately, they pick them to be this good because they always are.

reger60 said:
On offense I think they liked what they saw in the the bowl game against Clemson. They're very deep at RB and their entire offensive line is returning intact. It'll be interesting to see if the Juco xfer Chris Todd can challenge Cody Burns at QB.

Their defense will be as good as ever -- if not better. Their front seven is stout.

As much as we hate it, I'm afraid they're going to be pretty good.

Thought King Dunlap had graduated?

And yes they will be tough, just like any sec team should be.

bamabarney said:
Things have been quite over there this year, and I work in Opelika at the hospital and those folks aren't saying much, so I don't know if that's good or bad.

EA eh? I will drive there anyday to get away from GHL.

My Aubrun friends are not saying to much, think they are taking a wait and see attitude...unlike last year...omg.

Although the redneck Aubrun fans are...totally different. They are never quiet.

As an AU fan, this season worries me. We have the opportunity to be a great football team but a lot could go wrong, also. i think we're getting more attention than last year because even though we have a new OC and a new QB it can't possibly be worse than the Cox/Borges from a year ago. We have a very stout D again this year. Groves was a great player but didn't make a huge impact last year. Coleman and Marks made more plays.

Plus, there is the possibility of this being a down year for LSU and I, as a football fan, not an AU fan, feel that Bama is another year or two away from being a huge force in the West. Although, with all the changes at LSU and AU, they could be a sleeper if I've ever seen one this year.

mongo4bama said:
They are overrated !!!

The new DC is a downgrade from Muschamp for sure that aling with a new QB they will not win the west.

a$#

I'm guessing that Rhodes will make as many tackles this season as Muschamp did last season.

Duder said:
As an AU fan, this season worries me. We have the opportunity to be a great football team but a lot could go wrong, also. i think we're getting more attention than last year because even though we have a new OC and a new QB it can't possibly be worse than the Cox/Borges from a year ago. We have a very stout D again this year. Groves was a great player but didn't make a huge impact last year. Coleman and Marks made more plays.

Plus, there is the possibility of this being a down year for LSU and I, as a football fan, not an AU fan, feel that Bama is another year or two away from being a huge force in the West. Although, with all the changes at LSU and AU, they could be a sleeper if I've ever seen one this year.

Thanks for the assessment, Duder. As you said, a strong D returns and it will have to carry a new offense and QB. There are no guarantees this year in the SEC, and some of the favorites are bound to disappoint.

RTR,

Tim

I think unfortunately the Barn is going to be stout this year. I think we're a year or two off from being a force to be reckoned with, but we could be a surprise.

I do however hope we ain't a year or two from beating the cow palace.

Cory

Their plus is that they return a lot of good players on defense. On offense, as noted above, they figure to have a very good OL and depth at running, back, some question marks at receiver and a new starter at qb. With the switch to the new offense the receiver situation may cost them some this year, though they seem to be really recruiting hard for this position in their 09 class. This year I think they go as far as that stout defense carries them. They will be good, just how good we will find out when LSU goes to the plains this September.

reger60 said:
mongo4bama said:
They are overrated !!!

The new DC is a downgrade from Muschamp for sure that aling with a new QB they will not win the west.

a$#

I'm guessing that Rhodes will make as many tackles this season as Muschamp did last season.

Hmm.... Coaching matters ie... Homer Smith, Charie Stubbs it makes a difference and yes I know Tubbs kinda runs the defense but there is a dropoff in DC's.

Auburn deserves to be the favorite to win the West. They have a very strong defense coming back and their O was good enough to beat a tough Clemson team in their bowl game last year. That being said they definitely have question marks like everyone else in the West.

Back
Top Bottom