| FTBL Who should be the pre-season #1?

Who is most deserving of the pre-season #1 ranking this year?

• Oklahoma

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ohio State

• Auburn

• Notre Dame

• West Va

• Penn State

• LSU

• other

• Total voters
OU turned it on towards the end of the year. Thier young QB seemed to grab the concept of what Stoops wanted to do towards the end and they are loaded with healthy talent. texas will have a down year (compared to last year). Plus the big 12 is weak.....They only have to GET UP for 2 games a year then possibly the NTL Title. We in the SEC have to get up for 6 or 7 games then the SEC Champ....Much harder.

Tejas #1

I'm one of those folks that think everyone should start the season ranked where they finished the season before. I know that it is supposed to be where you think they are going to be ranked at the end of the year, but I think there's to much subjectivity in that. Especially since no one has played a game yet. If they want to do a real preseason/early season poll based on how they think they will finish, they need to let at least 2 or 3 games be played first.

I picked OSU. They seemed to be the pre-season favorite after the '05 season. I just don't see anyone on their schedule wreaking havoc on them w/ the exception of the rival Michigan game.

But a down side to this team is that they lost great leadership on D which kept this team in all of their games. So they may loose that ranking as the season goes on.

A close second, as much as I hate to say it, is ND. It is irrational, I know, but the question is asked who will be the pre-season #1 & you nor I have a say in it...but the media does. The media is infatuated w/ them & they want to sell whatever crap they sell & a lot of it. Oh well :roll: ?

Hopefully, AU & LSU will be ranked in the top 10. Those two would deserve it but I think there may be a chance Florida jumps in there b/c we know how much the media loves them too :roll: .

Okay. I am torn! I'm trying to think of who is most deserving of the pre-season number one ranking but I keep thinking about who will have the best year in the end and may win it all. I think I'll post another poll and see who people think will finish #1 next season.

Anyway, I picked PSU and here is why. The poll is not "who will finish the highest". Some of these other teams listed here may finish higher in the end, but that's not the poll question. So I picked PSU because they finished 3rd in the polls last year and should still be strong this year. They're young, they're exciting and they didn't lose much off of last season's team.

So I picked them # 1 ahead of Texas, who I think will not be as good this season and ahead of the number #2 team USC. USC also will fall a little off of what they did last year simply because they lost everything on offense. Neither of these two teams deserve to start the season #1 IMHO. I don't award the #1 slot to the previous champ like some people like to do, but that's jsut me.

Ohio State- Media loves 'em and they are hyping them but I'm not sold. They lost a lot to the draft and I just can't see them being as strong this year. Probably still finish with only 1 or 2 losses though.

Notre Dame- SEE ABOVE ABOUT MEDIA. <BS> I give Weiss a lot of credit for developing quarterbacks and he did a great job last year with his team, but two things bother me here. (1) The defense has not played that well and that could break them this year. (2) Finishing with 9 wins is not that great an accomplishment when in reality you've only beaten like 2 teams with winning records. For whatever reason though ND will continue to get that home cooking when it comes to their SOS and chances are we'll be seeing them play for all the marbles.

West Va- Love these guys! Rodriguez has done an amazing job there with the Mountaineers and they should be very good again this year. The offense is always exciting and if the defense plays well they could come out losing only one game, if that?

Auburn- Love 'em or hate 'em I give them credit where it is due. Al Borges has done a great job with the offense and having Cox in his second season can only help. Irons is formidible at RB. Teh only problem is that the SEC is so tough and the teams just tend to beat each other down every year to the point where it's just almost impossible to run the table.

Oklahoma- Someone else pointed out too that the QB situation out there looks to be stabilized somewhat, and having Peterson in your backfield only helps. Stoops should have them vastly improved this year and the schedule is complete...... <BS> . They play absolutely no one, even in-conference. Their toughest games (on paper) look to be Texas, Texas Tech, OK State (in-state bragging rights) and possibly.......Oregon.

No offense to the juggernaughts like Baylor and MTSU.

LSU- They'll be good, probably very good but the Russell situation bears watching and they did lose some talent from last year's team. I also think Lester Miles (did I spell that right?) is actually the kind of coach that will ensure that LSU continues to lose atleast once a season. The guy made a name for himself at OK State by having average to bad teams that could only beat Oklahoma for whatever reason? :roll:

Bama Bo said:
Tejas #1

I'm one of those folks that think everyone should start the season ranked where they finished the season before. I know that it is supposed to be where you think they are going to be ranked at the end of the year, but I think there's to much subjectivity in that. Especially since no one has played a game yet. If they want to do a real preseason/early season poll based on how they think they will finish, they need to let at least 2 or 3 games be played first.

Ditto.

Bama Bo said:
Tejas #1

Wish I could change my vote....You are right.... I believe Texas shoould be #1 going into the season, I was thinking who would win the NTL Title. Sorry.

This stuff can drive a sane person crazy :x ! I guess we aren't all that sane when we follow a team like we do...

Anyway, after what happened to AU in '04 w/ their high/low (however you look at it) ranking I have to ultimately aggree w/ waiting for season rankings to come it after a 3 games.

I remember when the '04 season was developing Trev Alberts mention this same concept. You know the routine. Everyone on the show was listing their top 20 w/ all their reasons & all. When it came to Alberts he wouldn't give any & said it all should be scrapped until a week or so b/4 the BCS results came out. Everybody was looking at him like he was crazy! This was about the only good thing that he brought to ESPN but it was TRUE!

I wonder what it is like as a player to prep all spring & summer long, find out that nobody (that counts or makes the votes) thinks your not worth a crap & then get all the way to the end of the season w/ a perfect record but still have someone say your not worth a crap! I'm not a Barner folks, I promise, Scouts honor but give a team (current team not previous team) a chance b/4 we get our panties in a wad & ruin a kids potential record.

Ok, I'm tryin to get off my soapbox, hell I even contribute to this madness :( .

I picked West Virginia. Just have a feeling they will finally get something done for real.

Texas probably deserves it until someone knocks them off, but I think Young was Texas and Young ain't at Texas anymore.

OSU is a fair pick as well.

I'm with Bama Bo. I think you should start where you finished too. It gives some of the lesser bowls added importance.

Bama Bo said:
Tejas #1

I agree with Bo. Texas is number one until someone other than a sportswriter knocks them off top of the pile.

its

too simple if you finished #1 last year you should start there the next year til someone knocks you off other than that pick'em as you wish but texas should be 1 til they get beat out of it fair and square...

well, if you subscribe to the philosophy that the national champion should remain number one until defeated then Texas. fyi, i don't think it is good for college football.

if i were voting i would vote for Ohio St.

they finally have an explosive offense to accompany Tressell's strong defense.

If it can't be us, I really don't care. But mark my words: Auburn is going to be good and won't lose more than 2 games. 1 of them will be to us.

Back
Top Bottom