| MBB/WBB Which is more important, new arena or NIL?

Until Bama fans can fill Coleman on a consistent basis, there is not as big of a need for a new arena yet. Yes, I know the price is going up all the time. Get the NIL money now, continue to win and the new arena will come. Just my opinion.
Around 20 years ago I was doing some research on expansion. The conclusion was if you were consistently at 80%, it was time to expand.

Last season's numbers haven't been published by the NCAA. UA reported 11,359. The the '22-'23 season Alabama averaged 10, 967. I'd have to pull out a calculator; I'm guessing that's a bit over 70%. Using the same logic as expansion, it's time to downsize.

Personally, 12K seems about the right number.

Going back to Grant's first season, we have averaged right around 12-12.5k per season. One could argue that part of the season we don't get 15K consistently is because of the poor visuals some seats offer, so it deters your average fan from purchasing a ticket.

NIL is what is most important now, but given this is the height of Alabama basketball, we need a new arena. The men's program isn't the only one that would play in it either. Gymnastics consistently sells out ever meet at Coleman.
Excellent point. So I don't see this an issue

Going back to Grant's first season, we have averaged right around 12-12.5k per season. One could argue that part of the season we don't get 15K consistently is because of the poor visuals some seats offer, so it deters your average fan from purchasing a ticket.
Grant's first season saw a drop in attendance. It was less than 11K, around 10.75K as I recall.

That has to be taken into context. In the prior years Alabama hosted teams like Georgetown in Coleman. The attendance numbers, as a result, are inflated. (2011, I think?)

The all time high average on a season was less than 12.5K. Where are you getting your numbers?

Grant's first season saw a drop in attendance. It was less than 11K, around 10.75K as I recall.

That has to be taken into context. In the prior years Alabama hosted teams like Georgetown in Coleman. The attendance numbers, as a result, are inflated. (2011, I think?)

The all time high average on a season was less than 12.5K. Where are you getting your numbers?
NCAA.org. records attendance. I excluded the 2021 season, where hardly no fans were allowed.

I ran it again and it's actually an average of 11,264 - which isn't bad for a program that has an outdated arena and had to go through the Grant years. Unfortunately if you have 11K fans in Coleman, that means 4000 empty seats. Which is partly why it looks so empty on TV.

I'm confused? We averaged between 9500 to 10200... Seat
15,383-seat capacity... New Arena will be proably around 10k . So I'm little confused of why you said this:
I would like to see what our average is for this year. I am just basing my opinion on what I see on TV, a lot of empty seats for much of the year.

If the new arena is 10,000 seats, I see your point. If you dont mind, where are you getting your attendance numbers for basketball?

Coleman built in 60s. Its time to build a new house.

If cost is 100 million $. And it talks that to pay colllege bball players.

Then something is terribly wrong
Guessing $100 million is some magic number, because I imagine that a new arena is going to cost A LOT more than that! We aren’t just talking playing surface either with seating. You have to add all of the updated concessions, restroom facilities, lockerrooms for home and guest PLUS a weight room facility for the team AND offices for Oats and his staff.
I work at Home Depot now and I don’t claim to know everything but I do know the cost of materials continues to climb.

I work at Home Depot now and I don’t claim to know everything but I do know the cost of materials continues to climb.
You wear Orange.

It's one thing to shop there: it's third on my list BECAUSE of the color. But to wear that god awful color?

At least you get paid ... best be buying A LOT of tools!!!

Guessing $100 million is some magic number, because I imagine that a new arena is going to cost A LOT more than that! We aren’t just talking playing surface either with seating. You have to add all of the updated concessions, restroom facilities, lockerrooms for home and guest PLUS a weight room facility for the team AND offices for Oats and his staff.
Explain why it cost so much to get a nut screwed in a hole?

We aren’t just talking playing surface either with seating. You have to add all of the updated concessions, restroom facilities, lockerrooms for home and guest PLUS a weight room facility for the team AND offices for Oats and his staff.
And that's the final work.

The last I heard the build was on Campus Dr., across from the softball complex. There's electricity there (parking lot.) No plumbing. Where do they pull from? It's all smaller buildings on one side; a dance studio over there somewhere as well as HES as I recall.

I don't think they'd pull from the REC Center area and screw that up.

It's a nightmare build, still. It's messing up ingress/egress or students, housing ...

Needs to be repeated @UAgrad93

You wear Orange.
Just the apron from 7-9pm. When store closes, the apron comes off!! I always wear a BAMA cap!! They do pay me well, $18.50 an hour for part time! It pays the bills Terry!!😂
When I started teaching, it was A LOT worse!!! Fultondale HS school’s colors were, you guessed it, orange and blue!!🤢 I had to tell myself, “it pays the bills!” First thing I did when I became the HC in baseball, was buy new uniforms and take out that nasty ass orange! We went blue, white, and gray!

Back
Top Bottom