| FTBL What's up with ESPN blackout on Spectrum?

Have Directv. No issues with cbs. Have chattanooga and birmingham affiliates

I hate all the "blacking out" cause the y cant get together on terms

Finally have internet....but havent figured how to get tvs using...
The world use to be so simpler...just turn the pole the antenna was on...
DirectTV is about to go dark with ESPN. It’s been scrolling during a number of shows for weeks and now they’ve started running commercials saying they’re at odds with Disney. ESPN throws money at the big time sports without a care in the world. They know they can jack up their costs at will because we viewers will demand DirectTV and any other outlet make a deal even if it means jacking up our premiums. I used to think people would put an end to the ever increasing sports related Monopoly money deals but I now know they won’t. Baseball player signs a $650+ million contract, 17 year old high school player gets $2 million NIL bribe, ESPN agrees to pay each SEC school a gazillion dollars to telecast their games, etc., etc. Yet, ticket prices go up year after year to the point the average fan can no longer afford to attend the games. That’s because he’s spending a fortune to be able to watch the games at home. I now know it will not change in this old man’s lifetime.

I have loved college football since I was a boy but that love is rapidly diminishing. In a couple of years the big programs will separate from the NCAA and form a league that will mimic the NFL even more so than it does now. The “scholarship” limit for those schools be increased from 85 to 105 or something close to that number. The players at those powerhouse programs will become more employee than student as they will be paid by the universities. There will be a salary cap but one that will not impact the NIL monies. They will however put limits on the portal in order to control the free agency Wild West that now exists. Who knows … Saban might even become the first commissioner of whatever the B1G and SEC decide this new league will be called?

Look, I get it … I’m old and out of touch with the changing world of college football. But not all change is good … in fact most changes aren’t good. It’s just the nature of the beast though. Very rarely do the changers consider what unintended consequences will follow the change they’re about to implement or the next change or the one after that. This was a truly great game and it’s being ruined by changes. Wait and see … the changes have only started. If I’m still around in a few years we can revisit this discussion and see if I nailed it or smashed my thumb!

Got network feed ..abc

Interesting too. At lake lurleen on my overair antenna. Only network i get is abc. Dont know why i dont get other networks over air

Ahh... forgot it was on ABC tonight.

It's been a while since I've used mine, but it was a crappy little one I got off Amazon about 5 or 6 years ago for like $25. I remember it picked up ABC but not CBS in Northport. It picked up some other stuff like WVUA, but I can't remember what. I think I got either FOX or NBC.

You probably know this, but these maps give you a good idea of what you should get in a certain area/address...

DirectTV is about to go dark with ESPN. It’s been scrolling during a number of shows for weeks and now they’ve started running commercials saying they’re at odds with Disney. ESPN throws money at the big time sports without a care in the world. They know they can jack up their costs at will because we viewers will demand DirectTV and any other outlet make a deal even if it means jacking up our premiums. I used to think people would put an end to the ever increasing sports related Monopoly money deals but I now know they won’t. Baseball player signs a $650+ million contract, 17 year old high school player gets $2 million NIL bribe, ESPN agrees to pay each SEC school a gazillion dollars to telecast their games, etc., etc. Yet, ticket prices go up year after year to the point the average fan can no longer afford to attend the games. That’s because he’s spending a fortune to be able to watch the games at home. I now know it will not change in this old man’s lifetime.

I have loved college football since I was a boy but that love is rapidly diminishing. In a couple of years the big programs will separate from the NCAA and form a league that will mimic the NFL even more so than it does now. The “scholarship” limit for those schools be increased from 85 to 105 or something close to that number. The players at those powerhouse programs will become more employee than student as they will be paid by the universities. There will be a salary cap but one that will not impact the NIL monies. They will however put limits on the portal in order to control the free agency Wild West that now exists. Who knows … Saban might even become the first commissioner of whatever the B1G and SEC decide this new league will be called?

Look, I get it … I’m old and out of touch with the changing world of college football. But not all change is good … in fact most changes aren’t good. It’s just the nature of the beast though. Very rarely do the changers consider what unintended consequences will follow the change they’re about to implement or the next change or the one after that. This was a truly great game and it’s being ruined by changes. Wait and see … the changes have only started. If I’m still around in a few years we can revisit this discussion and see if I nailed it or smashed my thumb!

We ...you n i....have seen a lot of changes. For sure.... hope we see a lot more..even if we dont like em...lol

Yep. Espn...disney affiliates went dark today. On directv. I hope some advertisers realize they lost millions of viewers. Ok. So go up a few bucks. Everybody else is

Lot of competition out their with steaming services.

So with all the options why does someone use DirectTV? Is that the only choice some people have?

Yep. Espn...disney affiliates went dark today. On directv. I hope some advertisers realize they lost millions of viewers. Ok. So go up a few bucks. Everybody else is
The advertisers know but people do not walk away so it is temporary and I am sure Disney will somehow make it up to them. These advertisers also need Disney long term so they just suck it up and move on.

It football season this has happen a lot more lately!

Yep. Have a very defined audience group to work on.
So with all the options why does someone use DirectTV? Is that the only choice some people have?

The advertisers know but people do not walk away so it is temporary and I am sure Disney will somehow make it up to them. These advertisers also need Disney long term so they just suck it up and move on.

Why directv. ..only option i had/ have. Didnt have internet. Have wireless now. But its still not what directv is. Buffering. Stop picture. Etc
And didnt have that until recently.

2... directv travels well in rv. Wifi here n there is unreliable. Directv with travel dish is pretty good. The over air antennas are pretty good for non sports But. No espn over air.

Wasnt for sports. Probably not have directv

Back
Top Bottom