| MBB/WBB Auburn Hands Alabama an 81-77 DefeatTuesday night, 8 p.m. CT on ESPN

I was about to write the same thing. Zero clue how he doesn't pull the trigger. Wide wide open.

Open looks the part fo sho. Very athletic looking team. Proud of the way we fought back. Maybe Davidson found his game tonight. I can take this loss, but the Missouri one is the one I can't get past.
How can you accept/take this loss to the Barn on your home court? Sorry I simply do not understand that statement.

How can you accept/take this loss to the Barn on your home court? Sorry I simply do not understand that statement.
Auburn is the best team in the conference with arguably the best frontcourt in the country. Losing at home sucks, but it's not the end of all things.

Losing to Mizzou is what will cost us good seeding and/or be a potential breaker if we don't turn things around and end up on the bubble.

I just don't understand the times we have such low energy. We almost mirror a Gottfried team with the lack of effort on defense and the glass. It's mind blowing. Then they turn it up for about four minutes and it's like they're a top 10 team again.

What the hell is going on? Oats needs to fix this shit quick.

I just don't understand the times we have such low energy. We almost mirror a Gottfried team with the lack of effort on defense and the glass. It's mind blowing. Then they turn it up for about four minutes and it's like they're a top 10 team again.

What the hell is going on?

Agreed. It's like they wait around on someone to make a big play on one end, then they all ride the momentum wave until it dies out. Rinse, repeat. Drives me nuts too, along with the weak play around the rim offensively, especially by the big guys.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 4/4 Auburn Tigers handed the No. 24/25 Alabama Crimson Tide its first home defeat in 17 games with an 81-77 victory Tuesday night inside Coleman Coliseum. Alabama battled back from a 14-point deficit midway through the second half to tie the game late but Auburn connected on four consecutive free throws in the final seconds to result in the final margin.

The Crimson Tide (11-5, 2-2 SEC) had five players finish in double figures to lead a balanced scoring attack, led by Jahvon Quinerly's 14 points, six rebounds and five assists. Guard Jaden Shackelford added 13 points and seven boards while Noah Gurley (11 points), Darius Miles (10 points, nine rebounds) and Keon Ellis (10 points, seven rebounds) reached double digits.

Auburn (15-1, 4-0) was led by freshman Jabari Smith's 25 points and four blocked shots, while freshman Wendell Green Jr. added 19 points, four assists and three steals off the bench.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame comments​

"This was a tough loss. I thought our guys fought hard to get back in the game at the end. You got to give Auburn a ton of credit. That is a hard playing, tough group. We have got a lot of respect for them. I told our guys that they have lost one game all year, and it was a tight game. They are close to being a top-three team in the country. We needed to play our best game in order to win that one and we didn't. We gave ourselves a chance there late. We didn't execute like we needed to down the stretch. There is a lot to learn from, had a few positives. They are one of the best defensive teams in the country. Our three starting guards went 9-for-38, so they did a great job on them. We just didn't get the firepower we needed. I thought we did improve on the defensive end after (our last game), but just didn't have enough to beat a team as good as Auburn."

Team Stats​

• The loss snaps a 17-game home winning streak, which was the sixth-longest in the nation entering the contest
  • The contest featured 10 ties and eight lead changes throughout
  • Alabama's 24 made free throws matched the most in a game this season while the 82.8 percent shooting from the charity stripe (24-of-29) was the second best in a game this year
  • The Crimson Tide's 22.6 percent shooting from beyond the arc (7-of-21) matched a season-low mark
  • UA's top three scorers (Shackelford, Quinerly and Ellis) combined to hit 9-of-38 (23.7 percent) from the field and 5-of-22 (22.7 percent) from beyond the arc

First Half​

• The two teams fought for control in the opening 14 minutes of play as the game saw seven ties and eight lead changes in that span
  • Auburn was the first to create a gap, going on a 11-2 run for a 34-25 lead with 3:51 on the clock
  • The Tide responded with a 10-4 run to cut the lead to three, but a last-minute layup from Devan Cambridge pushed the Tigers out to a 40-35 edge at the half
  • Eight players contributed to Alabama's 35 points with Gurley pacing the squad with seven
  • UA shot 11-of-31 from the floor while Auburn made 16-of-37

Second Half​

• After UA closed the gap to two, 42-40 at the 18:46 mark, Auburn pushed out to a 12-point lead with a 19-9 run for a 61-49 lead with 13:13 to play
  • Miles sparked an 8-0 run to bring the Tide within four 61-57 with 11:09 on the clock
  • Auburn would respond with a 12-2 spurt to take its largest lead of the game at 73-59 with just under eight minutes to play
  • The Crimson Tide would not go away and scored 14 consecutive points as part of 16-3 run, including an emphatic dunk by JD Davison, to tie the game at 73-73 with under five minutes to play
  • The two teams traded points in the final minutes but four consecutive free throws in the waning second by the Tigers would prove to be the final margin
  • Both Shackelford and Quinerly had nine points in the half to lead UA, while Miles posted six points, five rebounds and a block

• Both Shackelford and Quinerly had nine points in the half to lead UA, while Miles posted six points, five rebounds and a block
1. It's good that Miles has worked his way into a lot more playing time. He does, however, commit a lot of fouls. More experience can help there, however.

2. Shackleford had nine points in the second half...All nine points came when Bama went on that huge run late in the game. Before that though? This isn't the first time he's played a second half like this. He's gotta start coming through earlier.

Because I'm not wound up like you are when it comes to Auburn. They live rent free in your head as they say. They have a much more athletic team than we do right now. They remind me of Memphis when Derrick Rose played there. A lot of swag and athleticism. Our guys went on a 14-0 run like you said and didn't give up like it felt in the other losses.

It's ok to beat the #3 team, but not ok to lose to #4? You gotta quit being a blind homer and find the positives from what was a good game. I absolutely hate losing as much as anyone here, but I'll take this over that bullcrap we saw against Missouri and Davidson. It showed we belonged just as it was seeming like we didn't in the last few games.

Men, I can't put my finger on it exactly but I just have a feeling that there is some bad mojo or team chemistry going on that we know nothing about. Maybe its just me but has anyone else have similar feelings?

Hard to imagine a better basketball team than auburn right now... Also hard to figure what JQ was thinking by passing up that open 3. Jeebus
This was the first time I've watched them play. Previous post I had stated their OOC schedule was weak, and it is. I was thinking that might have been the reason for their success, but after seeing them play, that was a swing and a miss on my part :) (especially Jabari Smith).

This was the first time I've watched them play. Previous post I had stated their OOC schedule was weak, and it is. I was thinking that might have been the reason for their success, but after seeing them play, that was a swing and a miss on my part :) (especially Jabari Smith).

I've watched a few of their games and they play hard. Lots of depth too. Obviously at home, they are a juggernaut, but they have a team that can win anywhere. Kessler has been really, really good when I've seen them and I was worried about him dominating us last night. He didn't, foul trouble helped, but I didn't expect Smith to play quite as well has he did either. Whatever they paid for him, he's worth every penny.

Men, I can't put my finger on it exactly but I just have a feeling that there is some bad mojo or team chemistry going on that we know nothing about. Maybe its just me but has anyone else have similar feelings?

I think they got a little too full of themselves after the Gonzaga and Houston wins. As much as I like Oats, he is the exact opposite of a guy like Saban who goes with the process mentality and doesn't emphasize outcomes. Would imagine it's hard to preach blue collar mentality and keep the kids hungry when the coach is in front of the microphone reading off the team's projections and saying some of the things he says. While the honesty can be refreshing, it's probably a good idea to turn that confidence into results. Also, the bigs that this team added are shockingly weak (at this point anyway).

Because I'm not wound up like you are when it comes to Auburn. They live rent free in your head as they say. They have a much more athletic team than we do right now. They remind me of Memphis when Derrick Rose played there. A lot of swag and athleticism. Our guys went on a 14-0 run like you said and didn't give up like it felt in the other losses.

It's ok to beat the #3 team, but not ok to lose to #4? You gotta quit being a blind homer and find the positives from what was a good game. I absolutely hate losing as much as anyone here, but I'll take this over that bullcrap we saw against Missouri and Davidson. It showed we belonged just as it was seeming like we didn't in the last few games.
Hard to explain Bama tradition from the perspective of a life long Bama fan. Excellence is demanded in Tuscaloosa (certainly in football but Bama has some Basketball tradition). I can and do find positives in losses but it is ok to do it w/o lowering the expectation. BTW this is not just about the Barn. For that matter the Barn is below my level if disgust in terms of opponents. The Viles are at the top.

Hard to explain Bama tradition from the perspective of a life long Bama fan. Excellence is demanded in Tuscaloosa (certainly in football but Bama has some Basketball tradition). I can and do find positives in losses but it is ok to do it w/o lowering the expectation. BTW this is not just about the Barn. For that matter the Barn is below my level if disgust in terms of opponents. The Viles are at the top.

Being a "lifelong" Bama fan is no different than being a "newer" fan. You still love your school and will do anything for it regardless. I hate Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, and Georgia. Can't stand them, but I don't lose my shit over any of them. Just because you have years and years more under your belt doesn't somehow give you anymore hatred or respect than a guy with a few years under his belt. If going through the bad years makes you feel like you have some kind of more notches on your belt, that's on you, not me or anyone else. I haven't experienced the bad years, but Lord knows I dealt with nothing but growing up a Georgia fan. Before you attempt to push the Georgia narrative on me, my son was born an Alabama fan. He never knew anything other than Alabama. Does that somehow make you anymore of a fan than him, or does that not make him as good of a fan as you?

That same excellence you speak of is where I get lost because you failed to understand why an Alabama fan could pick another school to beat us or that another player could beat us like Georgia did. You brought up DNA and all of that, but that's all folklore and fandom. Saban is a winner. He was a winner before he came to Alabama. He recruits talent, but that talent has to buy in to HIM and HIS Process. It's not Alabama's process for winning tradition they are buying into. They dig the fandom and love for them and the team, but they aren't buying into Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas' foundation set forth almost 100 years ago, or Bear Bryant's dominance in the 60's and 70's. It's not just something they receive once they arrive at Alabama, like a shot or something. I still can't wrap my mind around how you justify your thinking based off of that. Oh, Alabama is good because it's in our DNA. No, it's the type of culture a coach brings, and Alabama has just found multiple that have won it all. It ain't the school, it's the coach. Bear and Saban both changed the narrative at the school. They found weak spots in the school and changed the school for the better, not the other way around. Alabama molds to it's coaches, not the other way around. Luckily we did in fact bring in those coaches, one just happened to go to Alabama (momma called) and the other just so happened to have a money truck park in his yard.

For the record, I did not lower expectations. We lost to the #4 team in the country that very well could be #1 or #2 once the rankings change after Baylor lost. I wanted to win, but with the team that has jogged out onto the court the last few games I wasn't expecting us to win. There's a major difference in fandom and reality. We played hard and I can appreciate that a lot more than the Missouri team that came out.

Also, I knew you were messing with me before the National Championship game. I wasn't taking you seriously and knew you were ribbing me. We have that playful banter between us!

Last edited:
@BamaFan334 tradition is indeed hard to explain and defies what you might think is logic. None the less it creates intangibles that in my view causes Bama to attract better quality players, coaches and administrators. Also, drives them to have the will to prepare to win and never quit. Nothing is guaranteed but you can't tell me Vandy prepares the same way or is as attractive as the excellence that is Bama. I argue no other school does that but yes I am biased .

Bama is bigger than one coach. They have been winning since the 1920's so this did not just start with Bear and/or Saban.

Is there anything to the Yankees mystique or is that just folk lore? Do not interpret this to mean I think you just have to show up.

This is just one of the reasons I loathe the barn. Classless.
Well we did do that to them in the cow pasture but I get your sentiment. I thought it was cute that the announcer said one of Pearle's goals was to make the basketball game equivalent to the iron bowl when he took the position. He went on to say that he had achieved it. Just really silly talk.

@BamaFan334 tradition is indeed hard to explain and defies what you might think is logic. None the less it creates intangibles that in my view causes Bama to attract better quality players, coaches and administrators. Also, drives them to have the will to prepare to win and never quit. Nothing is guaranteed but you can't tell me Vandy prepares the same way or is as attractive as the excellence that is Bama. I argue no other school does that but yes I am biased .

Bama is bigger than one coach. They have been winning since the 1920's so this did not just start with Bear and/or Saban.

Is there anything to the Yankees mystique or is that just folk lore? Do not interpret this to mean I think you just have to show up.

The Yankees aren't good because Babe Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, Maris, Bera, and others played there. They are good because they spend the most money in baseball and possess the most talent. Just like the Lakers, Celtics, Heat, and any other dynasties in sports. Just like Alabama spends the most in football, coaching, recruiting, facilities etc. None of the players care about the past at Alabama. It doesn't magically create some extra spirit inside of them to compete, it's the environment Saban, Bear, Stallings etc created. You're right, you can't explain it, because it doesn't exist. Alabama doesn't breed excellence, the coaching and it's staff do. Does Saban come to Alabama for $1M a year from the Dolphins because Alabama is guaranteeing him a Championship, good players, and that extra spirit that helps guys be better? No, he came because Mal Moore offered him more than he could refuse and then said you have everything at your disposal to get us back on track. He was doing the same at LSU before he left, so are you saying it's LSU's tradition that helped Saban win?

We're going round and round here. You can keep believing in things that you can't express or explain, and I will keep believing in what I can explain and actually see. Teams don't run away because of the uniforms.

Back
Top Bottom