| FTBL What will the offense next season look like?

• Thread starter imported_porkchop
  • Start date

Will Shula spice the offense up any next year?

• Are you kidding me? This is Mike Shula we're talking about.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This offense is already like a big ole flaming Jalapeno pepper it's so spicy!

• Never cared for spicy food myself.

• Total voters
I

imported_porkchop

I saw this question posed on another site and thought it might make a good poll.

Do you think that Shula will spice up the offense any next season or not?

I personally think that if the last several years are any indication, there is no way Shula goes from his conservative play calling to an all-out attack.

Plus you have to factor in the QB situation. With JPW being a first year starter in the SEC I tend to think that Shula gets even more conservative next season. He does have a stable of runningbacks to lean on and take some of the pressuure off of JPW.

Just my thoughts. What do you guys say?

:lol: not sure exactly which option best represents my opinion.

i don't expect any profound changes to the offense next season. with a new starter at QB and an OL that is still young i'm thinking next season would be an ideal time to incorporate new features, in particular for the nationally televised FSU game.

i'll say this though, any good coach needs to continue learning and allowing his strategy to evolve. there is no better example of a coach, already considered one of the best in his profession, successfully reacting to the changes within college football than Coach Bryant. a most recent example are the ways in which Paterno has modified his coaching orthodoxy. good coaches know that the game is bigger than them, and if they are to remain successful they must change with the game.

porkchop said:
With JPW being a first year starter in the SEC I tend to think that Shula gets even more conservative next season. He does have a stable of runningbacks to lean on and take some of the pressuure off of JPW.

well, that's true however there is NO GREATER pressure for a first year starting QB than regularly facing 3rd and longs against SEC defenses. i think we could see at the end of this season 50 more rushing attempts than last season, but in the SEC everyone knows that your offense must be balanced. for example, the best rushing SEC team last year didn't even go to a bowl.

As Chop has said, if the 1st 3 years is any indication, I don't see the offense being very spicey.

Shula's conservative style offense makes Gene Stallings offense look the fun & gun.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with this as long as we win games. I do wish he would institute a plan that would run outside the tackles everyonce in a while though.

I believe the case with play calling with Shula has not been determined by style rather than personell. When we had Prothro doing miracles on the carpet, I believe shula was opening the playbook and was not as conservative...The key will be QB and playmakers at the reciver position....I personally believe JPW will suprise a few folks with his knowledge of the game. Add that to an extra year of development to the already deep core of recivers and I believe we could be on track to have a dynamite year offensively....The younger recuits (athletes) will push the previous recievers to perform or sit the bench, so I will have to say we will look alot better...As for the offensive line, i believe they found something out in the cotton bowl and we will have a much improved line....Just my opinion...Defense has me worried

For a minute there I thought we were going to be talking about new uniforms and pants again. :lol:

Bo, no way Shula's O is equivalent to that of Stallings. Stallings' ideal play was four yards and a cloud of dust, but he'd settle for three in a pinch. :D

Shula's ideal play is an 80-yard pass to a player like Prothro to open the game. Not to mention 4th down and throwing into the end zone. What are you talking about?

If Shula was as conversative as you say we would have won the LSU game 'cause he would have kept running Darby.

Maybe I was exagerating just a tad. :wink:

I guess my main point with CMS's O is that he doesn't seem to have a wide range of play selections. Even when Prothro was in, it was pretty much the same plays. With Prothro in, they just worked.

I think the USC and UF games are the best examples of what our O is designed to be. In fact, until our receivers developed a severe case of the drops, I thought our O was great!

The only thing I might like to see added (besides rec's holding on the the rock) is the power sweep on occasion.

Bama Bo said:
Even when Prothro was in, it was pretty much the same plays. With Prothro in, they just worked.

lol - that is a true and accurate statement. Prothro has the ability to turn an ordinary incomplete pass into the greatest catch you ever saw in your life--literally!

The thing about Shula's offense....sometimes I get the feeling it doesn't exploit our players' unique strengths. They must fit the system, which is a straight pro-set attack. He seems determined to call certain plays regardless of the inevitable outcome (11 sacks, anyone?).

Coaches like Stallings and Spurrier will find what works, and keep doing it until the defense stops it. How many times at Florida did Spurrier find the weaklink DB and pick on him all day? Similarly, Stallings would pound and pound at the LOS, playing field position. Both approaches won lots of games.

But to answer the original question, our 2006 offense will be as spicy as a plain baked potato with no toppings . . . UNLESS some Tabasco sauce of a player like Tyrone Prothro rises to the fore.

Gary hit on my thoughts. JPW ,I believe,knows this offense.He needs reps and he'll get them in the sping and fall with the first string.When Pro was in and on we had a great looking offense.Expect to see more of it. You can bet Shula has a couple Lil' Pros lined up! I'll put money on it.
So yea we will see a little bit more spice to it.How much will depend on the success of the recieving core naturally but expect to see a couple all purpose type players to emerge on the offensive side.

i think he will HAVE to open it up, because the defense is going to be a long way off from the 05 team, therefore the offense will have to keep us in the games.

now the schedule is kinda weak, so the defense may look better than i expect, but they still have some good match-ups.

I think it will appear to be spiced up once the O-line takes hold then Shula won't have to use his FB and TE to block so much.

The addition of Stover should give the O the playmaker they need to keep the D off balance.

I have a feeling its going to be just like the last few years....pro style using the run to set up the pass but with a few more carries because we have such a loaded backfield. Nikita Stover could end up stepping in nicely (I'm not saying for Prothro because nobody could do that) at WR. We'll see on April 1st a little of what Shula wants to do.

I still believe that one of the main reasons for the lack of "Spice" is due to the lack of consistency in execution and fundamentals. Once the offense is able to execute the plays on consistent bases the offense will definitely stop looking vanilla and more flashy.

When Tyrone Prothro was healthy everyone was always waiting for him to get the ball and just watch what would happen, then TP went down and there just wasn't that caliber of a player that could make the plays TP could. Eventually the Depth chart will be full of players like TP and execution will come as natural as the fundamentals.

BamaDelta said:
For a minute there I thought we were going to be talking about new uniforms and pants again. :lol:

Bo, no way Shula's O is equivalent to that of Stallings. Stallings' ideal play was four yards and a cloud of dust, but he'd settle for three in a pinch. :D

Shula's ideal play is an 80-yard pass to a player like Prothro to open the game. Not to mention 4th down and throwing into the end zone. What are you talking about?

If Shula was as conversative as you say we would have won the LSU game 'cause he would have kept running Darby.

3rd and 2 from their 20 or something like that, Darby has ran the ball like 25 times and had great numbers. We decided to run a fade (that play never works). Incomplete, we hit the field goal and lose to LSU in OT. Such BS, I wish we would have ran the ball in that instance. I about had a heart attack when i saw Brodie fade back and im only 23. Shula needs to learn when its time to be aggresive and when its time to sit on it.

I always thought the fade was about the most overrated pattern in football. Man I hate that pattern (especially when we run it). Some teams seem to have a knack for it and they run it well but I've never in my life seen it be a highly succesful play for most teams. It just doesn't strike me as being a high percentage route.

Back
Top Bottom