| FTBL what kind of qb does bama have for next year

though i've never been a big john parker fan he has set most bama records. who starts next year? anyone know anything about his style? does bama use a more traditional qb or one of the "newer" type qbs that seem to run more than throw?

It will either be Greg McElroy, Star Jackson...or both.

Greg is a pocket passer like JPW, and Star is a run/throw guy like Tebow...just to give an example.

In a thread titled, "Freshman" you can get more info on this question and see a highlight package on Star.

~Bryan :)

honestly... i don't think any of us have any idea what kind of qb we'll be getting next year as they don't get many snaps to amount to anything even when we're up by 21+ points against lesser opponents. and what snaps they do get are running plays.

i'm eager to see the A-Day game next spring.

While Star is more mobile than JP, he's not a dual-threat kind of QB...comparisons to Tebow?

He does do well at reading defenses in the pocket, and when he's forced out of the pocket he's done well finding a receiver. He moves well.

Eugene Smith was on campus recently, a true dual threat kind of QB. But, he realized that his talent was better off served with an offense that features a QB that runs the ball as part of their package. And, there's the primary reason he's headed to WVU.

Kodi Burns is more of a dual threat QB than Star...than Star will ever be.

It's not our system.

TerryP said:
While Star is more mobile than JP, he's not a dual-threat kind of QB...comparisons to Tebow?

He does do well at reading defenses in the pocket, and when he's forced out of the pocket he's done well finding a receiver. He moves well.

Eugene Smith was on campus recently, a true dual threat kind of QB. But, he realized that his talent was better off served with an offense that features a QB that runs the ball as part of their package. And, there's the primary reason he's headed to WVU.

It's not our system.

I know Tebow was a bad example on my part, but I'm not gonna compare him to Kodi Burns. I'd like to think he's a little better than Burns.

At any rate...

Let's just hope for a smooth transition.

~Bryan

I just long for the day we have a NFL-calibre QB on the team with some NFL-calibre OLmen in front of him and a few NFL-calibre RBs and WRs for him to use.

In the past it seems we have had one but not the other, or the other but not the one. And, sadly, more recently we have had 'none of the above' more often than not.

I wish we had a Matthew Stafford type. I know I'm gonna get stoned for saying this, but I would take Stafford over Tebow.

Tebow is AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING, but if we are talking "true QB"...then I'd go with Stafford hands down.

RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:

It's not our system.

I know Tebow was a bad example on my part, but I'm not gonna compare him to Kodi Burns. I'd like to think he's a little better than Burns.

At any rate...

Let's just hope for a smooth transition.

~Bryan

That's exactly the point though Bryan. Both Tebow and Burns are dual-threat QB's. To make a comparison of Star to either is an apple and oranges situation.

Just using this as an example. When Saban had both Marcus Randall and Matt Flynn in his backfield at LSU Flynn ran the ball more times than Randall. Those runs were forced 99% of the time by the pocket breaking down.

Here's the difference I think is easy for everyone to see.

If you take JP and take say 3 times he's thrown the ball away. When you put a guy like Star in, one out of every 3 of those passes thrown away Star would likely run.

At LSU, if you look at Saban's entire time there, his QB ran about 5X a game. Right now, JP is averaging about 4.

I'm pretty sure it will be McElroy. If our offensive line can look good next year, McElroy will be a PERFECT fit. We've seen this year that we don't need too much at the quarterback position. Just smart playing. McElroy is a coolheaded qb that understands the ins and outs of this offense. He threw for well over 4,000 yards in one season in high school (behind Chase Daniel) so he obviously knows how to throw a ball and control a game. He had 56 Tds (1st all-time in the Texas 5A classification and 2nd all-time in Texas high school football history) and ONLY 9 interceptions. The guy can ball and has had plenty of time to practice against a stingy Alabama secondary. I know everyone is excited about Star Jackson, but I'm pretty sure his time will come AFTER GMac has had his chance.

from what i'm reading i would rather see McElroy than Star Jackson. i prefer a more traditional qb. i believe the running backs should do the running not the qb. with that said a qb that can scramble when it is neccesary is important.

I've heard horror stories about Greg since he's been at 'Bama. His INT against Arkansas this year looked down right scary.

I'll give the young man his rightful and respectful shot, but he needs to do better than what most have seen.

When JPW was going through his nightmare last season, and never got pulled, I think that showed most people all they needed to know.

Just my thoughts. :)

~Bryan

RollTide1980 said:
I've heard horror stories about Greg since he's been at 'Bama. His INT against Arkansas this year looked down right scary.

I'll give the young man his rightful and respectful shot, but he needs to do better than what most have seen.

When JPW was going through his nightmare last season, and never got pulled, I think that showed most people all they needed to know.

~Bryan

I can't recall the play Greg threw an INT on vs Arkansas. I remember he had the INT, but don't recall the circumstances.

Greg is a smart one. I say that because some of the mistakes we saw out of JP when he was hurried aren't the kind of mistakes I would expect to see out of Greg.

FWIW, and I know it was against WKU, he looked pretty damn good in that game.

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:

~Bryan

I can't recall the play Greg threw an INT on vs Arkansas. I remember he had the INT, but don't recall the circumstances.

Greg is a smart one. I say that because some of the mistakes we saw out of JP when he was hurried aren't the kind of mistakes I would expect to see out of Greg.

The pick against the Hogs was the first snap he took if memory serves. It was a 7-10 yard route that was right to the DB. It was a joke. He never threw a pass again in the game.

Not saying he can't be great, but he will take the controls with a shaky hand.

~Bryan

RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:

~Bryan

The pick against the Hogs was the first snap he took if memory serves. It was a 7-10 yard route that was right to the DB. It was a joke. He never threw a pass again in the game.

~Bryan

From what I know of GM, I can't put shaky hand in the same sentence.

Right after he signed he shot me an email one day asking about people I knew in the business community around the SE. Literally, before his first day of classes he was looking to establish networks (in the business world) for after his collegiate days.

I mention that because it goes a long way to describing the head he has on his shoulders. Granted, never talked to him in person, but I can say by his written words via email he comes across like a very stable guy (mentally.)

Simply put, he's not made of the same cloth as JP.

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:
TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:

~Bryan

~Bryan

From what I know of GM, I can't put shaky hand in the same sentence.

Right after he signed he shot me an email one day asking about people I knew in the business community around the SE. Literally, before his first day of classes he was looking to establish networks (in the business world) for after his collegiate days.

I mention that because it goes a long way to describing the head he has on his shoulders. Granted, never talked to him in person, but I can say by his written words via email he comes across like a very stable guy (mentally.)

Simply put, he's not made of the same cloth as JP.

I understand what you mean, but planning his business future after college and sending educated emails will not be what saves him from a 3rd and 12 against Auburn.

My biggest concern is the defensive speed in the SEC. Especially the closing rate of experienced defensive backs in our league.

On the job training will be at hand. I will hang my hat on our running game and defense until Greg gets a feel for live game action.

TerryP said:
RollTide1980 said:

~Bryan

Yeah, I think Greg is the likely starter. A large part of why I think JP was the starter under Saban, was the wide gap in experience. You cannot coach experience and maturity. Next season it will be Greg who has the experience and maturity as a player, but I expect that we will see Star a lot more than we saw Greg this year. As someone mentioned earlier, there may even be a package for him. I think AJ is a shoe in for a redshirt year. He has a tremendous upside, but he will be well served with a year in the weight room.

I think the issue with GMac/Star may be similar to Zow/Watts in one sense...people assume that Star is more of a runner and Greg is the pocket passer - just like people often assumed Zow to be the runner and Watts the passer. That is not accurate. Greg is more of a dual threat. In addition to his passing yards, he ran for over 700 yards as a senior, in a spread offense. Star had quite a bit of rushing yards too, but his were not designed running plays - he would burn defenses when he was left uncovered. As was the case with Zow/Watts, Greg is physically more suited for running, at 225#, and benchpressed close to 300 coming out of high school (I am curious as to his weightroom stats now). Star is around 200#. Gmac ran an electronically timed 4.89 in high school; while people think in terms of 4.4, 4.89 electronically timed is not slow. Tyler Watts is actually a pretty good comparison to Greg, though GMac has a much better release.

Just my thoughts.

Star is not a scarmbling QB, nor is he blazing fast. He has long strides and moves extremely well but he is certainly a pocket passer. I suspect I know why people think the way they do but it isnt correct.

TigerBait3 said:
Star is not a scarmbling QB, nor is he blazing fast. He has long strides and moves extremely well but he is certainly a pocket passer. I suspect I know why people think the way they do but it isnt correct.

The best way to describe him (IMO) is a QB who happens to be athletic, not an athlete who happens to play QB.

Porter said:
TigerBait3 said:

The best way to describe him (IMO) is a QB who happens to be athletic, not an athlete who happens to play QB.
Absolutely. He's more of a D.J. Shockley, not a Brent Schaeffer.

TigerBait3 said:
Porter said:
TigerBait3 said:

Absolutely. He's more of a D.J. Shockley, not a Brent Schaeffer.

Very outstanding points and examples!

~Bryan

Back
Top Bottom