Weather Issues

pump for your backyard? Holds water because it's too flat?
Bottom line is there are a few little things that create an issue with drainage. High tide, a lot of the area below sea level, around 2.5" of rain according to my gauge, you don't have to dig far to hit the water table, I'm less than a mile from one of the inlets/outlets to the ocean...

I dropped a sump-pump basin in a few years ago along with a sump pump...a lot of 1.5" PVC underground that runs to the street...pumps 3650+ gallons per hour. I turned it on when I got home this morning (3'ish) and it is still running a little. And, there's still a little water back there.

When I left downtown this morning there are a half of a dozen or so streets closed and they'll be that way for another hour or so.

We're getting snow today, probably get 2-4" of snow.

Just got a recorded call from our school district, they aren't releasing early as the roads are already getting bad. Said it didn't make sense to make things worse. If conditions persist, high schoolers with cars aren't going to be able to drive home, parents must pick them up as well.

@Bamabww That snow looks awesome! Is that an small observatory in your backyard?

Last edited:
So we've had a few inches. I put up 300' of fence last year...still need to cover up a few of the metal posts with some wood on the backside (something I'll be doing in two weeks).

20150227_151139_zps4wkjdoel.jpg

Is that an small observatory in your backyard?

Yes it is. Since the kids have grown we don't use it as much as we used to but still have an occasional scout troop or Sunday school class ask for a night of viewing. I have a Meade 12" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and it will reach way on out there, depending on atmospheric conditions. I have the Solar System set up through my backyard and into the field on a scale of 1 foot equals 10,000 miles and with that scale a mini mag lite is the approximate size of the sun. I set one up on my back porch and show them what the sun looks like from Pluto, just a speck.

pb212425.jpg pb212430.jpg

Matt, I am guessing your weather and travel situation has eased a bit. I have a good friend from church who was flying with her 85 year old father into DFW Friday, then renting a car to travel 150 miles to a family funeral. The report we got back was that she made it in on Friday, but it took 8 hours to drive the 150 miles because of the icy road conditions. They were supposed to fly out of DFW today at 130 and get back to this area by six, and since I have not heard otherwise I assume that they made it back.

We are looking at a possible ice storm in these parts Wednesday night into Thursday morning. If it were up to me I would rather have that foot of snow you had, Wayne, than deal with an ice storm.

Matt, I am guessing your weather and travel situation has eased a bit. I have a good friend from church who was flying with her 85 year old father into DFW Friday, then renting a car to travel 150 miles to a family funeral. The report we got back was that she made it in on Friday, but it took 8 hours to drive the 150 miles because of the icy road conditions. They were supposed to fly out of DFW today at 130 and get back to this area by six, and since I have not heard otherwise I assume that they made it back.

We are looking at a possible ice storm in these parts Wednesday night into Thursday morning. If it were up to me I would rather have that foot of snow you had, Wayne, than deal with an ice storm.

Yup, things are much better now. Snow and ice came down again on Friday/Saturday morning. Saturday temps got up to the mid/high 30's so that helped clear most of the roads. Last years ice storm in December was probably the worst one we've experienced. Luckily this year it wasn't that bad. I'm going to be building a solid fence around the pool equipment in the coming months to keep ice off the equipment during the 1-4 ice storms we get yearly.

Ice storms suck...

Yeah I've been wondering about that possibility. My follow up MRI and etc is scheduled for 11 on Thursday in Vestavia. No doubt about it, snow problems are much better than ice problems.

Neat setup, Wayne, and from what I remember of Lawrence County, city lights would not be much of an issue to impair your sky watching.
Thanks. The last 5 or 6 years, the East Lawrence community has boomed and with it the light pollution. But luckily that area is directly east and most of the time you can avoid looking that way.

We still have 3-5 inches on the ground from our snow last week. I havent seen the grass in over a month. Today into tonight, we are to get 2-3 inches of rain, turning colder, 35 now and then 6-10 inches of snow Wed. night into Thursday morning. Fun stuff!

More sleet/ice in Dallas today/tonight. Hope my flight from Salt Lake City doesn't get screwed up Thursday evening to Dallas.

Here's what it looks like in downtown Salt Lake City looking southeast. I love seeing mountains like this.

Had some great sushi tonight at Takashi, if you're ever in SLC and you like Sushi, I'd recommend them.

20150304_163944_zps7bcsxpqa.jpg

Last edited:
We have almost an inch of sleet and ice pellets today, Thursday and 28 degrees. Everything is shut down. Temps falling all day to 17 degrees tonight. Warm up predicted for tomorrow and thru the weekend. 42 Friday and mid 50's Saturday and Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_7030.JPG
    IMG_7030.JPG
    746.7 KB · Views: 2
Got on an earlier flight outta Salt Lake City, there is a Bama fan from Florence on the row in front of me...we're everywhere :)

Hopefully the roads are thawed out by the 12pm or so.

Dallas got up to 8" of snow and 1"-2" of ice/sleet. DFW got 3" of snow and flights are getting impacted

Well, they missed on the 6-10 inches of snow for last night. When we measured this morning we had 16.5 and it snowed until about noon, so add another inch or two. I love snow but I can say with 100% certainty that I am ready for warm weather. Today, the snow shovel and I spent too much time together and then I still had to plow the driveway.

Yup, I got home just fine, roads still had some ice/snow in some areas, but I drove slow the whole drive (which isn't my norm). Looks like my original flight would have only be delayed by 40-45 mins.

My area dodged the bul let. Cold rain and a few snow flakes yesterday. Cold this morning but warming up to 47.

The next several days are forecast to be in the sixties. :hurray:

Back
Top Bottom