| FTBL Vote for who you want to replace Saban!

Who do you prefer as our new HC?

• Lanning

• Kiffin

• Sark

• Dabo

• Norvell

• DeBoer

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
All of this is just so far off the mark its not even funny. It begs the question if you are being serious or trolling?
Actually am serious.. the only coach listed I see could be Sark.. Internet rumors said Lanning told his team he wasn’t coming… Kiffin not too popular to most people.. I just wonder if the target may be someone we’re not focusing on..in most cases it usually is..

Actually am serious.. the only coach listed I see could be Sark.. Internet rumors said Lanning told his team he wasn’t coming… Kiffin not too popular to most people.. I just wonder if the target may be someone we’re not focusing on..in most cases it usually is..
Did he do this by text because, at the time of this post, its 744 am in Eugene, OR? If not Lanning, it could very well be someone we are not focusing on but I would be surprised if that's the case. I really feel it will be a proven commodity whoever we reach out to. We are replacing the "CEO of a major organization". 20mil is not squat.

Why all the Lanning love? He spent a couple years as a GA here and that's it. Sure, he's got a natty as a DC under Kirby...

But he only has TWO YEARS of HEAD coaching experience...

I'd bet my farm that we won't roll the dice on a thin resume like that.

You don't replace the GOAT with somebody that has a paltry 2 years experience.

This ain't a on-the-job-training gig.

Did he do this by text because, at the time of this post, its 744 am in Eugene, OR? If not Lanning, it could very well be someone we are not focusing on but I would be surprised if that's the case. I really feel it will be a proven commodity whoever we reach out to. We are replacing the "CEO of a major organization". 20mil is not squat.
Who knows how this will end up..but there was chatter about Mr. Knight ready to sweeten his pot.. all rumor, of course.. but its a thought..

Why all the Lanning love? He spent a couple years as a GA here and that's it. Sure, he's got a natty as a DC under Kirby...

The 2 years of HC experience is a big concern for sure. But, I'd say all realistic hires have concerns, some just more than others. From where I sit, Lanning doesn't have too many others, certainly not major ones.

The 2 years of HC experience is a big concern for sure. But, I'd say all realistic hires have concerns, some just more than others. From where I sit, Lanning doesn't have too many others, certainly not major ones.
Devils advocate of a plot twist proposal:

Let's say in an alternate universe, we DO roll the dice on Lanning.

Does Phil Knight get pissed and pull our contract with Nike? 😂

You wanna find a guy that will set roots at Alabama and stay if he wins. With any option out there, there are no true proven winners that can do what Saban did or live up to that type of bar. Impossible. So you try and find a young guy that can maneuver the Portal, work NIL, and that has something to lose.

Sarkesian is an alcoholic. He has seemed to have softened that part of his life and that is amazing. I just don't see him with the reactive instead of proactive approach. Can he change with college football and be on the front end of it all like Saban was and what we have come to expect? Can he handle the demands Alabama has built up to? Can he build an elite defense? offensively he's got it handled, but there is more to it than just offense. It's a business, so it takes a CEO mindset, not just a Department Manager.

Kiffin is immature. He hasn't shown to me he can be serious long enough to finish a season and step up when the game is on the line and demand more of your guys to pull off the victory. Saban had us believing until you saw all 0's at the end of the fourth quarter, we weren't out of it. I don't get that by simple body language from Kiffin. Is his own ego going to allow him to bend to what Alabama demands, the sport demands, NIL, portal etc? Can he honestly maintain year after year? I like the guy, but see him more as a guy I could go on a guy's weekend with, not a guy to run a ~$150M program.

Lanning is more of an unknown compared to the two mentioned above. He is a young guy that has seen success everywhere he's been. he's been at Alabama just like the others. Saw a lot of success at Georgia, won a Natty. Went to Oregon and turned Bo nix into a possible 1st Round NFL quarterback. His offense was exciting, like Sarkesian's, and he did it with speed. #2 Total Offense in the country, albeit in the Pac-12, but nonetheless he accomplished it. His defense gave up two more yards per game than we did, but also saw more plays ran against them than our defense did, so effectively less yards given up per play. Alabama #18, Oregon #22. He can recruit and I have no doubt he can recruit the South and now has his hands out West while being at Oregon. Biggest factor is his Youth and the fact if the hire is a homerun you have longevity that can make the Alabama base very happy. I think he stacks up well against the other candidates being discussed and think he is the best option with Kalen DeBoer being the next.

You wanna find a guy that will set roots at Alabama and stay if he wins. With any option out there, there are no true proven winners that can do what Saban did or live up to that type of bar. Impossible. So you try and find a young guy that can maneuver the Portal, work NIL, and that has something to lose.

Sarkesian is an alcoholic. He has seemed to have softened that part of his life and that is amazing. I just don't see him with the reactive instead of proactive approach. Can he change with college football and be on the front end of it all like Saban was and what we have come to expect? Can he handle the demands Alabama has built up to? Can he build an elite defense? offensively he's got it handled, but there is more to it than just offense. It's a business, so it takes a CEO mindset, not just a Department Manager.

Kiffin is immature. He hasn't shown to me he can be serious long enough to finish a season and step up when the game is on the line and demand more of your guys to pull off the victory. Saban had us believing until you saw all 0's at the end of the fourth quarter, we weren't out of it. I don't get that by simple body language from Kiffin. Is his own ego going to allow him to bend to what Alabama demands, the sport demands, NIL, portal etc? Can he honestly maintain year after year? I like the guy, but see him more as a guy I could go on a guy's weekend with, not a guy to run a ~$150M program.

Lanning is more of an unknown compared to the two mentioned above. He is a young guy that has seen success everywhere he's been. he's been at Alabama just like the others. Saw a lot of success at Georgia, won a Natty. Went to Oregon and turned Bo nix into a possible 1st Round NFL quarterback. His offense was exciting, like Sarkesian's, and he did it with speed. #2 Total Offense in the country, albeit in the Pac-12, but nonetheless he accomplished it. His defense gave up two more yards per game than we did, but also saw more plays ran against them than our defense did, so effectively less yards given up per play. Alabama #18, Oregon #22. He can recruit and I have no doubt he can recruit the South and now has his hands out West while being at Oregon. Biggest factor is his Youth and the fact if the hire is a homerun you have longevity that can make the Alabama base very happy. I think he stacks up well against the other candidates being discussed and think he is the best option with Kalen DeBoer being the next.

Glad I typed all of this out as the news of Lanning declining was coming out. :cautious:

Yep.

so did Lanning actually decline our offer, or was he ever seriously offered? Big difference in "declining" and saying "I'm not going to be the next Alabama HC"

Saban said he wasn't going to be the next Alabama coach 17 years ago, too LOL

so did Lanning actually decline our offer, or was he ever seriously offered? Big difference in "declining" and saying "I'm not going to be the next Alabama HC"

Saban said he wasn't going to be the next Alabama coach 17 years ago, too LOL

I personally don't know enough to say right now, but I'll lay this out there. If they are the same media who were reporting that Lanning was in Tuscaloosa, dismiss it. Also, it became pretty apparent late last night and early this morning that Lanning's name was being leaked on purpose. I'm still not for certain which side did the leaking, but if it was from the UA side as I suspect, it was done for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom