| NEWS USC and UCLA Leaves Pac-12 to Join Big Ten in 2024

We all knew things haven't been great for the schools in the PAC. I didn't realize UCLA had taken the hits they've endured. The LA Times reports:

Over the last three fiscal years, UCLA’s athletic department had run up a $102.8-million deficit that figured only to worsen given the school’s sagging football attendance and paltry Pac-12 payouts that lagged behind its major conference counterparts. Now it’s conceivable that the Bruins could receive $100 million from the Big Ten per year if the expanded conference can snag the projected $1-billion media rights deal that’s set to begin in 2024.

Gov Newsome inserts himself into the discussion

Its a public university. No way should not board of regents not be part of decision making process

Ucla does not belong to AD or school prez
and such decisions should be run through public system and should have a period of public comments Just as bama or AU would have to

Big 10 may not get ucla and have to settle for Stanford, Oregon, Washington etc

Which big 10 would be better off for instead of 2 LA area schools. If expanding the footprint is important to big 10

Its a public university. No way should not board of regents not be part of decision making process

Ucla does not belong to AD or school prez
and such decisions should be run through public system and should have a period of public comments Just as bama or AU would have to

Big 10 may not get ucla and have to settle for Stanford, Oregon, Washington etc

Which big 10 would be better off for instead of 2 LA area schools. If expanding the footprint is important to big 10
Reports within the last week state there was no requirement for UCLA to notify the Cal system of their move. If that is truly the case, it all falls back on the bylaws of the Cal school system.

Just as bama or AU would have to

Why would Auburn have to run anything by the public to make a move?

Reports within the last week state there was no requirement for UCLA to notify the Cal system of their move. If that is truly the case, it all falls back on the bylaws of the Cal school system.

Why would Auburn have to run anything by the public to make a move?
Rumor has it, 2/3 majority of the herd is required in Auburn's bylaws

Doesnt AU have a BOD?
AU is a public university!
They have a board, yes. They don't have to get public approval of any move, hire, fire, promotion, etc. Neither does Alabama. (The last time UA went a similar route was with DuBose and we see what the public knows about coaching hires.)

Moreover, and back to the point of UCLA, why should Cal have any say so on moves UCLA makes? Better yet, why would UCLA want any input from anyone from Berkley? (Cal-Berkley is one of nine other schools in that system so their opinion is likely moot.)

They have a board, yes. They don't have to get public approval of any move, hire, fire, promotion, etc. Neither does Alabama. (The last time UA went a similar route was with DuBose and we see what the public knows about coaching hires.)

Moreover, and back to the point of UCLA, why should Cal have any say so on moves UCLA makes? Better yet, why would UCLA want any input from anyone from Berkley? (Cal-Berkley is one of nine other schools in that system so their opinion is likely moot.)

Why. Because its part of the U of Cal system of education....funded by thestate of California for the people of California with tax payer money.

But bama does send coaches raises through the BOD .....the governing arm...
Hires are sent for approval through theBOD.
All which-it should be

If the BOD of the UC system Should approve all such activities even if "rubber stamping" it...

The Governor should invalidate UC @LA move to Big 10....
I want to see the chaos

Why. Because its part of the U of Cal system of education....funded by thestate of California for the people of California with tax payer money.

All which-it should be

If the BOD of the UC system Should approve all such activities even if "rubber stamping" it...

I want to see the chaos

Tsar Newsom has presidential aspirations to think of.

All which-it should be

I want to see the chaos
Do you have any idea how many public universities are in the state of California and how many different athletic conferences they represent? So that would mean that if the Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros wanted to leave the California Collegiate Athletic Association in Div. II to go join the Cal Poly Humboldt Lumberjacks in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference they would have to get Governor Gavin Numbnuts' permission?

Do you have any idea how many public universities are in the state of California and how many different athletic conferences they represent? So that would mean that if the Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros wanted to leave the California Collegiate Athletic Association in Div. II to go join the Cal Poly Humboldt Lumberjacks in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference they would have to get Governor Gavin Numbnuts' permission?
That's the synopsis of my reply except it's "why should UC Merced have any say over UCLA?"

They, UCLA, could come close to being a solvent athletic department. I suspect they don't spend more but hopefully won't have to rely on subsidy. And I have my doubts there...

I dont know.....but the University’s system is not owned and operated by the school president or AD.... they report to a higher authority....

And there MAY be a lot of universities....and i dont really know....but i doubt they all fall under one BOD....

The "university of California " is a system.... and MAYBE those schools fall under one BOD.... UC @ LA.... UC @ Berkley....UC @Davis....etc..

Thats my only point.... but may be off base

That's the synopsis of my reply except it's "why should UC Merced have any say over UCLA?"

They, UCLA, could come close to being a solvent athletic department. I suspect they don't spend more but hopefully won't have to rely on subsidy. And I have my doubts there...
But the school is more than an athletic department

But maybe it all works different than what i think...it’s California..".land of fruits and nuts"

Back
Top Bottom