| NEWS USC and UCLA Leaves Pac-12 to Join Big Ten in 2024

Wait, I thought the Big 12 was dead and the other 4 P5 would be the super conferences. So now the PAC 12 is dead, the Big 12 is dead, and no one cares about the ACC? Now it's just the Big 10 and the SEC? It's all happening so fast. LOL

Think it may be about time for a name change for the Big Ten. You would think being of higher education they could at least count. Either that or maybe they think of themselves as the B1G and the little 4. :p

I wonder if there is any buyer's remorse by the Big 10 with bringing in Rutgers, and if there is any chance that the weakest members of the surviving conferences get booted in favor of the best of the dying conferences.

Also, the PAC 12's statement: "The Pac-12 is home to many of the world's best universities, athletic programs and alumni, representing one of the most dynamic regions in the United States. We've long been known as the Conference of Champions, and we're unwavering in our commitment to extend that title."

Are they going to extend it to "The Former Conference of Champions"?

I wonder if there is any buyer's remorse by the Big 10 with bringing in Rutgers, and if there is any chance that the weakest members of the surviving conferences get booted in favor of the best of the dying conferences.
Or Minnesota, and then Purdue. We can't just stop with those in the B1G. At least the Mississippi schools are bringing the conference championship hardware but as this favors the rich and powerful where does that leave a Vanderbilt? The MS schools aren't bringing in a ton of conference revenue: more than some but they're still in the "have-nots."

Or Minnesota, and then Purdue. We can't just stop with those in the B1G. At least the Mississippi schools are bringing the conference championship hardware but as this favors the rich and powerful where does that leave a Vanderbilt? The MS schools aren't bringing in a ton of conference revenue: more than some but they're still in the "have-nots."
I've read, but not personally verified, that having at least one private school in the conference gives them disclosure protections compared to being a group of state schools. Ours is Vandy, but it could be Miami or Notre Dame (unlikely). ACC is covered up with them (Duke, Wake, BC come to mind). USC satisfies it for Big 10, but Northwestern was already there.

I reached out to a half dozen Pac-12 Conference athletic directors early Thursday morning. I was poking around football season-ticket sales trends and trying to figure out why they’re soft in some places.

Nobody answered me.

Not a one.

It was unusual. It raised some red flags. Within 90 minutes, the news broke that UCLA and USC were defecting to the Big Ten Conference as soon as 2024. The move was later finalized when the Big Ten presidents and chancellors voted unanimously to approve the addition.

Paging George Kliavkoff to a courtesy phone…

Some questions (and my answers):

Question: Did the rest of the Pac-12 Conference see this coming?

Answer:
Nope. A source told me that Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens and his staff had no indication the USC/UCLA news was coming. Nor did Scott Barnes at Oregon State. In fact, nobody in the conference outside of USC and UCLA knew. They all learned like you did — via news reports. The conference and its ADs have scheduled a meeting for Friday, per a source.

Q: Is it possible this is a consequence of Larry Scott’s mismanaged tenure as the Pac-12 commissioner?

A:
Yup. The Pac-12 has fallen behind with exposure, media rights’ revenue and finds itself scrambling to keep pace with the Big Ten and SEC. Larry Scott was in charge when that all happened. USC and UCLA are in the Los Angeles media market and knew the television value they’d bring to any conference that would have them. The table was set here years ago when Scott’s attempts to monetize the conference’s football games fell woefully short of the Pac-12’s peers. UCLA and USC, for example, received $20 million less in media rights fees in the last fiscal year than Ohio State and Michigan. I’m told FOX initiated this conversation. Their executive team has a heavy USC contingent.

Said one source: “No way USC or UCLA reached out first.”

A: They’re the two most attractive programs left to the Big Ten. Both fit the mission of the Big Ten Conference and have AAU status, which the Big Ten covets. Washington brings the Seattle television market. Oregon is a national brand. It feels like the Pac-12 has to play good defense with the Huskies and Ducks right now. Said one conference insider: “Can’t have every USC/UCLA road game be a four-plus hour flight.”

Q: Who else?

A:
I could imagine a Big Ten “West” division that might include USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington… after that? Maybe the Big Ten would consider Arizona, Colorado, Utah Stanford or Cal but none of them add value like the Ducks and Huskies. Clemson, North Carolina, Duke and Florida State are still out there, too.

Q: What happens to West Coast football?

A:
The entire Pacific Time zone is already feeling left out of major college football. Just look at the recent College Football Playoff matchups. I think the LA market would get a boost, but everywhere else? Probably not in the best interest of a healthy college football model to lop off a significant part of the country, but I doubt the Big Ten viewed that as its primary mission.

Q: What are Mike Bohn (USC AD) and Martin Jarmond (UCLA AD) thinking here?

A:
Neither one of them got their start in the Pac-12. Jarmond previously worked at Michigan State and Ohio State. Bohn grew up in Colorado and was the AD in Boulder when the Buffaloes joined the Pac-12. But I doubt either put much weight in the intangible or historical effect of a USC/UCLA defection to the Big Ten. This is a business move all the way. One driven by FOX, who was looking to replace the loss of the Texas/Oklahoma inventory.

Q: Would the presidents at USC and UCLA veto the move?

A:
The Pac-12 CEO Group fashions itself as a cohesive entity. They move like bison on the prairie. This kind of defection is unusual and will be met with a definite reaction from the other university presidents and chancellors. I’m sure George Kliavkoff has already been on the phone with Oregon president Michael Schill and WSU president Kirk Schultz, who are persuasive allies on this front. Bohn and Jarmond didn’t act alone here, though. They had the blessing of campus leadership at USC and UCLA. This is done.

Q: What do you really think of this Canzano?

A:
I don’t like it one bit. I’m an old-fashioned purist. I like the Rose Bowl being a Big Ten vs. Pac-12 matchup, for example. I realize college athletics is amid a major transition but I’d prefer to see the core of the Pac-12 stay unified amid that transition. USC and UCLA are tentpoles in football and men’s basketball. I like the early part of Kliavkoff’s leadership, but he’s now in the biggest fight of his tenure. I’ll have more on the statewide radio show and here in print soon.

Q: What happens next?

A:
The Pac-12 has to retain Oregon and Washington at all costs. That’s priority No. 1. Meanwhile, the Ducks and Huskies have to think about what’s best for them. Is that joining the Big Ten? Staying put in the Pac-12? Something else? The SEC? You’d better believe Phil Knight has his checkbook out.

Also there are now questions about what connects Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah to the Pac-12 after 2024? That glue used to be the Los Angeles programs But they’re gone in 2024. Would any of the others now leave for the Big 12?

Q: What about Oregon State and Washington State?

A:
Those two are in the most precarious position. They aren’t going to be attractive additions to the Big Ten and SEC. The best-case scenario for the Beavers and Cougars is that Oregon and Washington stay put in the Pac-12. The worst case? They wake up soon and find that they’ve been abandoned by their rival universities and see Arizona/ASU, Colorado/Utah gone to the Big 12. Right now, OSU and WSU are in a tough spot because they don’t have a proactive move. They have to wait and hope.

Kinda makes you wonder what are they gonna do with the Rose Bowl now?
The Rose Bowl will continue to be an attractive post season event. But, since its inclusion in the CFP, and the mediocrity of the Pac12, the appeal of the B1G - Pac12 matchup is gone. It wouldn’t surprise me if the traditional matchup is tossed and they somehow go for “best available matchup.” Conference tie-ins for other bowls will make that difficult, everything is changing so bowls will need to change as well.

I heard Herby say something this morning about the Big Ten and SEC being super conferences with 24 to 26 teams and setting up divisions like the NFL does. I guess three divisions or maybe even four. Of course this is all conjecture but if that were to happen you would think that the current playoff system would not really work anymore, on the other hand if the schools decided to break away from the NCAA that would have to include all sports so I wonder if that makes it a bit more difficult?

Back
Top Bottom