| NEWS USC and UCLA Leaves Pac-12 to Join Big Ten in 2024

Has anyone checked on Lincoln Riley? He's still managed to avoid the SEC grind leaving me wondering if he knew he'd be stepping into the B1G's drama.

I wonder what brought Byrne to mind?

The SEC having a playoff finding the best team out of 22-25 teams. The B1G doing the same. There's your new title game.

For years some of us have begged for the P5 schools to separate and govern themselves. The unintended consequence being college football is now shaped after the NFL model.

Now people on the national stage are seeing the same thing. Herbie commented on the move yesterday:

“And honestly, I think that’s our future. I haven’t spoken with anybody, but I think that’s where this thing, when the dust settles, that’s where we’re going to be. With about 50-55 teams, half of them in the Big Ten, half of them in the SEC. If we’re simplifying it, think AFC, NFC in the NFL. Saturdays, you’re going to have three divisions: West, Middle and East or South, and that’s what it’s going to be. I think there’s going to be some very tough decisions because [it’s] going to keep out a lot of teams that want to be a part of this future and they’re not going to be invited. So it’s going to be more of the haves or the have nots in college athletics.”

Has anyone checked on Lincoln Riley? He's still managed to avoid the SEC grind leaving me wondering if he knew he'd be stepping into the B1G's drama.

I think that it's probably that the PAC had a chance to secure a place in an expanded playoff and, after saying they were open to it, they voted against it to spite the SEC. They no longer have that leverage and will not get an automatic in whatever a future playoff looks like.

Does the new conference championship game language allow for semifinal games or "more than one game to determine a conference champion"? That would ensure mega conferences.

RTR,

Tim

Ha ha, I have been thinking this exact point about Riley. Ole boy dodged the SEC, but now is forced into some semblance of football competition he isn't ready for. Thought he was gonna live the easy life recruiting against Cal, Stanford, Washington, Colorado, and Arizona all while beating up on those teams and looking good. Now he's gonna be dealing with Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn State, as well as hard hat teams like Michigan State, Northwestern, and Iowa.

Think them boys used to LA weather wanna play in 30 degree games in Ann Arbor with snow?

Back
Top Bottom