| FTBL UCF hires Gus Malzahn

As a sportsman who's citing this particular rule, I'd like to know the difference in applying the rule between Auburn subbing their punter in at WR, and Alabama subbing Slade Bolden in to play QB?
@OldPlayer covered that.

The answer here is found in your question. Slade was subbed in to play Quarterback. I have a hard time seeing how something so simple can be so convoluted with these examples you're trying to use.

@OldPlayer covered that.

The answer here is found in your question. Slade was subbed in to play Quarterback. I have a hard time seeing how something so simple can be so convoluted with these examples you're trying to use.

Nothing convoluted about it, it's quite simple.

In that same game, you're OK with a WR being subbed in to play QB (with another QB on the field, no less), but not OK with a punter being subbed in to play WR. The similarities are obvious in that both are going in to play positions they don't primarily play, but one plays for the team you cheer for and the other doesn't.

I completely understand if you'd want to call penalties on both parties, but you don't. You're asking the officials to sort through the "intent" of one team, but not the other. (The fact that Mac Jones stayed on the field when Bolden played QB is an obvious signal to the manner in how that "substitution process" was being used... But I digress).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And on a completely different point - Auburn never ran the play. The Punter was clearly motioning into the backfield with 10 seconds on the play clock. The penalty was called on Alabama before they ever ran a play, which quite easily could have been a punt. Now - I'll be the first to admit that I don't know how the "too many men on the field" rule is supposed to be officiated on the defense. Was it supposed to be called that early? Or was it supposed to be called after the play had started, to give the 'D' more time to sub a man off? If it was called incorrectly than there is more of a beef... If it wasn't, then you can't flag Auburn for "confusing" the defense, when you don't know what the play is. At least not objectively.

In that same game, you're OK with a WR being subbed in to play QB (with another QB on the field, no less), but not OK with a punter being subbed in to play WR. The similarities are obvious in that both are going in to play positions they don't primarily play, but one plays for the team you cheer for and the other doesn't.
You're not making the right comparisons here. A punter with a punt team is a lot different than a wide receiver, who has played quarterback, coming in for a Wildcat formation. Apples and oranges. It's not only the punter, it's the special teams unit starting with the punter, the long snapper, the blocking backs...

You're not making the right comparisons here. A punter with a punt team is a lot different than a wide receiver, who has played quarterback, coming in for a Wildcat formation. Apples and oranges. It's not only the punter, it's the special teams unit starting with the punter, the long snapper, the blocking backs...

That's a fair point. I still don't think it overshadows the basic intent/reason both coaches are using both players in those particular substitution patterns. It's certainly to give themselves an advantage and force the defense into a confusing situation. And the vague wording of the rule leaves a lot open to subjectivity.... Which again, is why the rule is rarely (if ever) enforced.

And to the other point - If the penalty was called correctly on the defense, you couldn't call a penalty on the offense until the play is actually ran. Because again, the punter was moving into the backfield when the whistle was blown.

The penalty was called on Alabama because they had too many players on the field. In the clip below (starting at 1:39) Waddle comes in on fourth down because the coaches in the pressbox saw the punter come onto the field. You'll see the referee hold the play to allow Alabama to substitute. Auburn gets ready to run the play but Waddle didn't come off. Penalty flag thrown for 12 men on the field - illegal substitution.

Out of curiosity I jumped over to ourlads to see how they projected UCF's depth chart for next season. He's got a decent QB to work with: we'll see how that goes. His offenses work best with upperclassmen on the offensive line.

The penalty was called on Alabama because they had too many players on the field. In the clip below (starting at 1:39) Waddle comes in on fourth down because the coaches in the pressbox saw the punter come onto the field. You'll see the referee hold the play to allow Alabama to substitute. Auburn gets ready to run the play but Waddle didn't come off. Penalty flag thrown for 12 men on the field - illegal substitution.

Yep. My confusion on the 12-man rule is when it can be called... How many times do we see defensive players scrambling to get off the field right before the snap? I know the 'O' can't break the huddle with 12, but to what point is the D allowed to get off the field? (Perhaps when the officials "allow" subs, after that transition occurs you cannot sub?)

Yep. My confusion on the 12-man rule is when it can be called.
Since that game the rule book has been amended and it's relaxed things a bit for defenses last season.

They are allowed to have 12 on the field, or more, so they can "anticipate the offensive formation." But, they must have 11 when the ball is snapped.

That was part of the rule changes going into last season. I'm sure you can find them...just google with a fall, 2020 parameter. Several things changed like guys ejected for targeting didn't have to go to the locker room, and the "Nick Saban rule."

Out of curiosity I jumped over to ourlads to see how they projected UCF's depth chart for next season. He's got a decent QB to work with: we'll see how that goes. His offenses work best with upperclassmen on the offensive line.

I think too...looking at schedule.....Louisville only power 5...and it aint that much...
But some good group of 5 games...
And their stadium is called "bounce house"?..and 11 games?8A3ECDF3-7CBB-415C-814C-86C864B183A2.png

he beat one rival....3 times.....
That was worth 49 million$$$$$$
...or so.....

Beat Bama....he did and he got one hell of a contract in the process. JMO but I believe the barn is going to miss Gus and his hurry up more than they understand. Auburn has always recruited good talent and will continue but with Kirby locking down Georgia and Nick and his staff taking talent from AU it will be hard for them to beat great teams straight up. The hire of Harsin might turnout to be a great move but I am going to have to see it happen before I believe it.

Beat Bama....he did and he got one hell of a contract in the process. JMO but I believe the barn is going to miss Gus and his hurry up more than they understand. Auburn has always recruited good talent and will continue but with Kirby locking down Georgia and Nick and his staff taking talent from AU it will be hard for them to beat great teams straight up. The hire of Harsin might turnout to be a great move but I am going to have to see it happen before I believe it.

Absolutely agree.

Of the new HCs in the SEC, would you rate Gus as a better HC?

Absolutely agree.

Of the new HCs in the SEC, would you rate Gus as a better HC?
'I keep waiting and even hoping that Gus would totally crash and burn at the Barn (noting against Gus just hate for the barn) but that never really happened. He seemed to escape that losing year that would have seen him fired on the spot (2015 with the hire of Will as his DC might have saved him). The West is a minefield even for the best teams. JMO but Jimbo is one great QB away from being big trouble. I believe Kirby benefits from Sark and Jimbo being in Texas since they will make recruiting the best even more difficult for Nick and staff. You will never out athlete LSU no matter how many hours you work. You don't want to read where LSU has signed a really talented QB from outside their state. Can you feel me on that.

Back
Top Bottom