| FTBL Top 10 Toughest Coaching Jobs in Sports

Ok, it is a given that this is a tough job with a tough fan base to please but that is why we now pay the big bucks for someone that is capable to lead this program.

Did Ms. Curry really feel her kid's life was in danger or is this more self propagated BS by Bill Curry?

The negative ones are throwing bricks or planting stories or doing whatever they can to make you uncomfortable.

Is he saying that 5% of our fans throw bricks? Only if they are masons. I have never seen a fan base so villanized over the actions of one supposed individual in my life!

"My wife is a strong, intelligent woman," Curry once said. "She has a Ph.D.; she's not someone who is going to be intimidated. But she felt like our children were at risk. Those kinds of things just wear on you. Ninety-five percent of Alabama people are wonderful. The negative ones are throwing bricks or planting stories or doing whatever they can to make you uncomfortable. And when they want to make your life miserable, they work at it."

Bill Curry is still a loser.

bamafan4ever said:
Ok, it is a given that this is a tough job with a tough fan base to please but that is why we now pay the big bucks for someone that is capable to lead this program.

Did Ms. Curry really feel her kid's life was in danger or is this more self propagated BS by Bill Curry?

The negative ones are throwing bricks or planting stories or doing whatever they can to make you uncomfortable.

Is he saying that 5% of our fans throw bricks? Only if they are masons. I have never seen a fan base so villanized over the actions of one supposed individual in my life!
I agree Mrs. Curry probably had no need to fear for her kids safety.

I am also tired of seeing the laundry list of coaches that have passed through Alabama since the departure of Coach Bryant over the last 25 years. We did not run them all off because of losing!

Perkins: left for the NFL
Curry: Couldn't beat AU so he left for UK. After all, they don't throw bricks in Kentucky! :roll:
Stallings: 7 years and he retired.
Dubose: Any coach would/should lose their job after getting the program slammed with eternal probation.
Francione: Mama...errr...money called.
Price: :roll:
Shula: 4 years of attempting to rebuild. Program needed to go another direction.

So, we ran off how many for losing? I guess you could say 2 (Curry and Shula) although Curry is a bit of a stretch in my book.

2 coaches in 25 years we have "run off" for losing. How many programs can say the same?

Oz said:
porkchop said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7316552?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10539

Guess where we rank. :)
You're proud of this?

It's just a listing of those places with very high expectations (like Bama), or those places with huge ownership or financial obstacles. National exposure can be positive or negative. For some programs, it doesn't have to be curried by whining on ESPN.

As to Curry's comment:

"My wife is a strong, intelligent woman," Curry once said. "She has a Ph.D.; she's not someone who is going to be intimidated. But she felt like our children were at risk. Those kinds of things just wear on you. Ninety-five percent of Alabama people are wonderful. The negative ones are throwing bricks or planting stories or doing whatever they can to make you uncomfortable. And when they want to make your life miserable, they work at it."

I think there's a typo in there. It should be "those planting stories about throwing bricks". He's also getting his fake stories mixed up. The threats against wife and kids story was used at Kentucky. The fake brick story was used at Bama. I know forearms to the head were legal when he played for the Packers, but he should still keep his stories straight.

RTR,

Tim

bamafan4ever said:
I am also tired of seeing the laundry list of coaches that have passed through Alabama since the departure of Coach Bryant over the last 25 years. We did not run them all off because of losing!

Perkins: left for the NFL
Curry: Couldn't beat AU so he was ran out of town and went to UK. After all, they don't throw bricks in Kentucky! :roll:
Stallings: 7 years and he retired after a lot of pressure during probation.
Dubose: Any coach would/should lose their job after getting the program slammed with eternal probation.
Francione: Mama...errr...money called.
Price: :roll:
Shula: 4 years of attempting to rebuild a sunken ship. Program needed to go another direction because he didn't beat Auburn.

?

I agree Bama is naturally a hard job but the bama nation does not make this job any easier.

Curry had a new contract on the table that provided at least a small raise when he left for UK.

As for "The Brick", I don't have any sure inside info, but from what I understand, the brick incident never happened. It was as story fabricated by Curry to gain sympathy.

It Takes Eleven said:
Oz said:
I agree Bama is naturally a hard job but the bama nation does not make this job any easier.

What makes it "naturally" a hard job, Oz?

well it's in the SEC so you're going to lose some games, you guys claim 12 national titles which makes the job resemble mount Everest, and every single coach has to stand in Bryant's shadow.

It's a lot like whats happening in New York right now. No matter if it's Larussa, Mattingly, or Billy Martin himself that takes over for Torre they will be standing in a great coaches shadow and everything they do, great or bad, will be measured to what Torre did.

This all makes bama naturally a very hard job....Oh yeah and the hardest thing about the Bama job is you have to play Auburn :D

Oz said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Oz said:

well it's in the SEC so you're going to lose some games, you guys claim 12 national titles which makes the job resemble mount Everest, and every single coach has to stand in Bryant's shadow.

It's a lot like whats happening in New York right now. No matter if it's Larussa, Mattingly, or Billy Martin himself that takes over for Torre they will be standing in a great coaches shadow and everything they do, great or bad, will be measured to what Torre did.

This all makes bama naturally a very hard job....Oh yeah and the hardest thing about the Bama job is you have to play Auburn :D

Bad analogy with regard to Torre. We didn't run our "great coach" off like George Steinbrener.

Oz said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Oz said:

Those are some of the nicest backhanded compliments I think I’ve ever heard. :wink:

bamafan4ever said:
Oz said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Oz said:

Bad analogy with regard to Torre. We didn't run our "great coach" off like George Steinbrener.
I believe you were focusing on the wrong point in the analogy but....

rammajamma said:
How many coaches has LSU had in the past 25 years?

Jerry Stovall LSU 1980 1983 4 45 22 21 2 0.511
Bill Arnsparger Miami University 1984 1986 3 36 26 8 2 0.750
Mike Archer Miami 1987 1990 4 46 27 18 1 0.598
Curley Hallman Texas A&M 1991 1994 4 44 16 28 0 0.364
Gerry DiNardo Notre Dame 1995 1999 5 58 33 24 1 0.578
Hal Hunter Northwestern 1999 1999 1 1 1 0 0 1.000
Nick Saban Kent State 2000 2004 5 64 48 16 0 0.750
Les Miles Michigan 2005 Present 2+ 32 29 4 0 0.906

See just like I thought, they have had just as many coaches as we have had over the past 25 years but no one ever jumps on them. Why is that?

Oz said:
bamafan4ever said:
Oz said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Oz said:

I believe you were focusing on the wrong point in the analogy but....

No, most coaches that cast a "large shadow" are not replaced by another coach due to percieved poor performance.

To make it simpler for the simple folk, if I am replacing a guy that is fired, the shadow cast is not nearly as great as the "shadow cast" by a legend who bowed out on his own. (see Bryant, Spurrier, etc.)

Bama Bo said:
As for "The Brick", I don't have any sure inside info, but from what I understand, the brick incident never happened. It was as story fabricated by Curry to gain sympathy.

He came on the Bill Curry Show the Sunday after the Auburn game, single shot of him (no host), he delivered a prepared statement. Basically saying the brick through the window was the last straw and he was leaving.

Who did he need sympathy from?

Back
Top Bottom