| FTBL Thoughts on game

Ark WR's pushing off w/o getting a OPI did not help
THANK YOU!!! One of the TD's the WR with the hurt shoulder made was directly d/t him pushing the DB 3 yards off of him.

There was a play later that was an incomplete pass to the Ark WR where he pushed off and CNS was having a come apart with the official about it. ( I think we would have declined it, b/c it was 4th down deep in arky territory), but the fact that it happened quite a bit and never got called.

To be fair, it looked like Hellams had a real shot at picking that off - or at the very last making the tackle - if not for the referee throwing a block there. Hellams immediately recognized it was a fake.
Saban talked about that play. They knew it was coming and had called the D for it. Had rep’ed it in practice. Hellams just got picked by the ref.

I agree. On another related subject - 5 Star players are by definition able to start or at least contribute in a meaningful way as Freshmen. That means the 2021 class shouldn’t have been rated as such … right? Anyway, it appears all of that great O-line haul are being redshirted.
I always thought 5star is just trying to predict who will be a 1st round draft NFL pick?

Saban talked about that play. They knew it was coming and had called the D for it. Had rep’ed it in practice. Hellams just got picked by the ref.

Watched the CNS show and the film showed he did get picked but Hellams was still going to be late getting to the TE so it would have been a completion for a first down. Seemed like Hellams got caught with his eyes in the backfield instead of his assignment.

I always thought 5star is just trying to predict who will be a 1st round draft NFL pick?

You’re correct … I was going by a Tom Luginbill article I read several years ago and that’s how he defined a 5 Star. I tried to find the article but couldn’t do so quickly. However, I did find several articles that said 247 and Rivals consider 5 Star players as those who have the talent to be 1st team AA’s and 1st Round picks. The ESPN recruiting site says they may also be impact players as Freshman. So I stand corrected … thanks for setting me straight!

I like how Saban said "we got rubbed off there" lol Yeah, the official "rubbed off" the defender.

He was covering the eligible blocker from the backfield and/or the running punter.
Must have been his assignment, but there was a lot of beef up there filling those lanes. If that was his assignment, he did his job. Looked like he bit on a play action when the line had the run covered, and left the middle wide open. But just my observation.

Back
Top Bottom