| FTBL The "woa is me and Auburn" is heavy in this Phillip Marshall update from their training camp

18Champs

** --Things could change, but I don’t expect defensive lineman Tyrone Truesdell to be part of Auburn’s football team.
** As another college football season rushes closer, spare me, please, from:
--Calling football programs “brands.” I guess people who search for Internet hits need to make their largely meaningless lists, but for me, outcomes are decided on the field and not by some undefined status as a “brand.”
--Gutless wonders who take to social media to rip into college football players because their own self-esteem is wrapped up in how a team of young men performs on the field.

--Coaches who are “too busy” to do anything they don’t want to do.

--Grown-up reporters and broadcasters who try to lead college football players into saying something they will regret and then treating it like it’s news.

--The haughty Big Ten and Pac-12 pretending that their schools and only their schools care about academics.

--Contracts that make coaches wealthy, even if they fall on their faces.

--Men I don’t know calling me “buddy.”

— ESPN's dollars have increased the divide between the Power 5 and everybody else. Its constant promotion of a handful of teams have made it harder for those not chosen to compete. If a high school prospect is watching ESPN, how does he not come away believing that the best players go to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and, maybe, Oklahoma?

— Auburn plays eight SEC games in nine weeks in the coming season, and not one of them is even close to a sure victory.

— Based purely on recruiting rankings, Ohio State quarterback signee Quinn Ewers is said to be in line to get almost a million dollars by skipping his senior year in high school and enrolling at Ohio State. What if he is never the starter? At least Alabama quarterback Bryce Young has taken some snaps and is certain to be the starter.

— Bowden, a Birmingham native, once told me that, early in his career, his goal was to be the head coach at Auburn or Alabama. (Really Phillip? Not sure I buy BB coaching at Auburn*—A1A)

— What if Auburn had hired Kirby Smart instead of Gus Malzahn?

—What if Rich Rodriguez had not backed out after accepting the Alabama job, opening the door for Nick Saban.

--Calling football programs “brands.” I guess people who search for Internet hits need to make their largely meaningless lists, but for me, outcomes are decided on the field and not by some undefined status as a “brand.”
Programs established as "brands" got there because of what they've done on the field, and court, and diamond.

Translated: Why isn't Auburn considered a brand like others is what I'm reading here. 🤷‍♂️

"-Gutless wonders who take to social media to rip into college football players because their own self-esteem is wrapped up in how a team of young men performs on the field."

Hey, Marshall. Make sure you understand your fan base is just as guilty as other fan bases are.

— ESPN's dollars have increased the divide between the Power 5 and everybody else. Its constant promotion of a handful of teams have made it harder for those not chosen to compete. If a high school prospect is watching ESPN, how does he not come away believing that the best players go to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and, maybe, Oklahoma?
How does someone watch ESPN and not come away believing the best players go to those schools? Do what?

The best players are going to those schools. This is a WFT kind of...something.

How does someone watch ESPN and not come away believing the best players go to those schools? Do what?

The best players are going to those schools. This is a WFT kind of...something.
Was going to post this exact thing. The best players do go to those schools. He is butt hurt because the reality of who they are and have always been is starring them in the mirror. They had deceived themselves into believing they were something they are not. Marshall and Barners, your program is what it has always been a 2nd tier program and I am being kind.

--Coaches who are “too busy” to do anything they don’t want to do.

--Grown-up reporters and broadcasters who try to lead college football players into saying something they will regret and then treating it like it’s news.

— What if Auburn had hired Kirby Smart instead of Gus Malzahn?

—What if Rich Rodriguez had not backed out after accepting the Alabama job, opening the door for Nick Saban.

Sounds like he's not getting the access he's accustomed to getting, and he's whining about it. That, and boy is he regretting the last 15 years.

He'll retire (or be further reduced to internet ramblings) before Saban.

Smart instead of Malzahn is the more interesting comment...

If I remember correctly....Smart interviewed....and pulled his name...from consideration....

He wanted control ...and AU wasn’t having any of that.....

but where would AU be...with Smart?

Back
Top Bottom