The supa slam {Thread has gone political and it's been moved to non-sports}

Consider this officially old news now that the SEC has spoken http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1423084&PT=4&PR=2

fanning will of learned his lesson by this weekend. He doesn't have a history to base any of this other than he made an isolated mistake, has made the formal apologies, CNS has done the same with Pinkle and I'm sure Fanning got some internal medicine ugh is week on how to control his emotions better on the field.

I don't think anyone here really was accepting or supportive of this tackle. But what is done is done and what's been said has been said by fans, coaches and SEC officials. Time to take the focus to our opponent this week, the ugly pumpkins in the hills.

I am not one of those Alabama fans that think when some other team does something that it is bad, but if our guys do it then it is okay...

That's the kind of attitude most Tennessee, Auburn and LSU fans have. If their players get in trouble or play dirty they defend them, but if someone else's players play dirty or get into trouble they raise hell about it...

If it wrong for someone like Nick Fairly picks someone up and throws them down on their head, then its wrong if one of our guys does it...

I am not going to defend a player for something I know is wrong period!

The only time I ever complained about Fairley were his LATE hits, and the time he tried to bloody Aaron Murray by grinding his facemask into his chin, and when he would Spear players in the back... I dont even recall seeing him make a tackle like Fannings' so I have no clue what you're talking about (not saying he didnt) but if I dont even remember it that should tell you how much it bothered me...

You're trying REALLY hard to keep this going and make it bigger than it is... you've already seen that he wasnt suspended by the SEC, doubt Saban does anything further either.

What this means the SEC approved of Alabama's (Saban's) handling of this situation and even though we don't know what Saban did aside from making him apologize, I am positive Saban will handle this internally and an apology was not the end of this situation for Fanning.

Listen, the problem I have with all of this is not what happened or how Fanning ends up getting punished for the foul, my problem is the way some members thought what Fanning did was cool and others defended what was obviously a dirty play.

That is my opinion and nothing that has been addressed here has changed my opinion.

A player picking up another player and attempting to slam him down on his head has no place in football and I still have the lingering neck injury to prove it...

For the love of god! LET. IT. GO!!!

Maybe, but we will see...

I will be very surprised to see him back in a game for a while, even if the SEC lets it slide, which I doubt...

I know this, if the kid had landed on his head instead of his shoulder and broke his neck we would be having a whole different discussion here...

The link showing the SEC isn't going to suspend him has already been posted. They made this known hours before someone linked it here. I'll take fault for that because it was known roughly about lunch time.

Monday night it was clear they weren't going to take action. In suspension situations you'll find those announcements coming on Sunday; Monday morning at the latest.

That said, it's important to note those suspension predominately follow cases where rules are seriously broken. Just as one example, Swearinger's helmet to helmet vs Vandy.

What this means the SEC approved of Alabama's (Saban's) handling of this situation and even though we don't know what Saban did aside from making him apologize, I am positive Saban will handle this internally and an apology was not the end of this situation for Fanning.

Listen, the problem I have with all of this is not what happened or how Fanning ends up getting punished for the foul, my problem is the way some members thought what Fanning did was cool and others defended what was obviously a dirty play.

That is my opinion and nothing that has been addressed here has changed my opinion.

A player picking up another player and attempting to slam him down on his head has no place in football and I still have a lingering neck injury to prove it...

I understand where your frustration comes from based on what you've experienced.

However, I also believe you are making more of the tackle than is there. Just as one point to consider, Nico gets underneath the runner when Fanning has barely lifted him in the air and pushes him up and back. That move makes Fanning's tackle look that much worse.

Your assertion that Fanning was "picking up another player and attempting to slam him down on his head" is saying Fanning did what he did on purpose in a premeditated move. It wasn't. In fact, like I've mentioned earlier, if you watch the clip I'm going to post you'll see he would have landed to the right of Fanning until Nico gets involved.

ncQ2x.gif

The unnecessary roughness flag could have gone on Nico as much as it did on LaMichael.

FWIW, it wouldn't surprise me if Fanning didn't travel to Knoxville considering we can only take 65. Hell, we're allowed more than 85 on the sidelines, dressed and eligible to play, when we're at home. He didn't see a snap against Ole Miss.

I look at the tackle like this, LaMichael rarely gets in, gets his big paws on a ballcarrier that is almost a foot shorter than him and gets him to the ground the best he can. I don't think there was any intent to harm the RB but then again, it is tackle football and people will get injured. Younger guys often get caught up in the moment and get carried away.

Your assertion that Fanning was "picking up another player and attempting to slam him down on his head" is saying Fanning did what he did on purpose in a premeditated move. It wasn't. In fact, like I've mentioned earlier, if you watch the clip I'm going to post you'll see he would have landed to the right of Fanning until Nico gets involved.

ncQ2x.gif

The unnecessary roughness flag could have gone on Nico as much as it did on LaMichael.

Pretty sure that was Tyler Hayes (36) not Nico.

Yes. It's a penalty if it's further than five yards past the line of scrimmage—if I recall the rules wording correctly.

I don't know what the LOS was for that play. But, clearly a cut block at the knees.

looking at the game replay posted earlier in this thread, the LOS looks to me like its on the 25 yl and the block happened at the 31 or 32 yl, but I guess the spectacle of a full body slam took the attention away from the ref in position to make that call

Hey, I thought this was what a forum was all about, to question and discuss BOTH sides of an issue?

If it's not, lets call it something else...:icon_scratch:

I know, lets call it an Obama press conference...:rofl:

Since this is about Mizzou, would it be "the middle class being buried?"

Or would that game fall more into the "war on poverty?"

There r great points all the way around on this. Community of smartasses, huh CC? Hahaha....just a little poke. Lol. :chat2_cheers: my friend. But ive been reading all of this and i figured SOMEBODY would ask what im about to ask. Which im glad yall havent cause that gives me something to say. :pinkbiggrin:
When i heard that Fanning wrote an appology letter to the coach and player, it made me wonder exactly what went through the player's mind. I mean, being a young man, that has to be a blow to ur ego. Lol. Receiving a letter from a player appologizing for tackling u so hard. I would REALLY like to know we he thought.

I also wondered if Fanning wasnt expecting him to be so light and he just wrapped up the rb and was just gonna pick him up and fall backwards just to get the guy down. He was a squirmy dude. Lol

Everyone has made a valid point. It was uncalled for, but its not gonna make Bama look any worse to the people who already think the worst of us. That tackle was just another grain of salt in the massive salt shaker of hate that people already have for us.

Last edited:
I am almost afraid to answer your question because of the, (it is over and let it go crowd will chastise me again)...

jocephus8179, I have traveled all over this country and you are right, nobody likes Alabama except for Alabama fans and its Alumni. Having said that they do respect us because our fans, players and coaches have always conducted themselves with class.

We have had a few fringe fans embarrass us over the past year or so and that has hurt our reputation. I visit other boards and the one thing that always gets under my skin is when other fans try to defend their coaches/team/fans when they do something that is obviously out of line.

I always thought that sort of thing was beneath Alabama fans.

I am sure it made Fanning feel bad to have to apologize, but Saban knows how important it is to convey that at Alabama we do things the right way. Now there have been some here and there that said it wasn't a dirty play and some have stated that it was just an accident or just a player who just got a little too excited. That doesn't really matter because it was the impression that it left that needed to be addressed and Saban addressed it with the apology and what ever else he and the SEC agreed on...

I feel bad for Fanning, but the needs of the University and the program outweigh the needs of one player.

As for how everyone else feels about us I don't want us to fall into the everyone is against us so lets do what we want to do like teams like Auburn or LSU. That is why Chizik has lost control of his program. Maybe if he had gotten on Fairley's ass when he first started playing dirty his team would being the undisciplined mess that it is today, the same goes for LSU and Les Miles...

I had this theory when my kids were growing up. If I made them ashamed to bring home a (C) on their report card then I knew that I would never have to worry about them bringing home an (F).

Now that may seem harsh to this new live and let live, lets be friends with our kids generation, but give it a try because it works...

Saban runs his football program the same way, if you don't believe me then ask Sentimore:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/53166/vols-sentimore-i-want-to-beat-saban

Im not worried about the (let it go crowd). Just like how we disagreed with my thread about being bored.....i didnt ask for anyone to let it go. I posted it to get opinions, whether i aggreed with them or not. Fanning is ur typical young and dumb teenager, but this whole ordeal is his defining "lesson learned" moment. And for that reason, i can see why we should let it go and move on. But at the same time, i understand ur awarness of how we might be judged. We all have opinions on this and everything else. But like u said....CNS is the type of coach to tackle this issue head on with the player. I would still like to have known the mizzou player's reaction to an appology letter for being tossed like a sack of taters. :icon_lol:

BTW CC, i wasnt bored saturday. Hahahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom