The supa slam {Thread has gone political and it's been moved to non-sports}

Looks like this hit is getting a good amount of pub. http://espn.go.com/college-football/

Exactly - can't compare this to a hit on a QB because QB's are a whole different story nowadays. Look, this wasn't a clean tackle, no doubt. That's why he got flagged. The main reason why everyone's even talking about it is because there was only a few minutes left in the game, and we had the game well in hand. Missouri was ready to be in the locker room, and Fanning was excited to be playing and took the tackle too far.

While this tackle wasn't clean, I've seen worse. Check out this hit from Rolando.

Why would he be excited about playing in this game versus any of the others he's played?

i notice its on the front page of espn's college section

i-m25dNs2.jpg

Tackle was uncalled for. It was a fortunate thing it happened without injury. I'm sure Fanning didn't mean anything by it, and got caught up in the moment. I don't think he's a dirty player or anything, just needed to make a better judgement about something like that. This isn't the WWE, there's a reason they get paid good money for that kind of stuff. It's easy enough for players to get hurt just playing normally.

Last edited:
And that's not the way we play football at Alabama...

No defending the act, no excuses...

I already said I didn't care about the hit, it didnt bother me, had he hit him late or seemed to be TRYING to injure him and even if he does it a 2nd time after knowing not to do it now Id agree. Saban didnt like it, so he handled it his way. Still doesnt change my feeling on it.

And your feeling was what, because I may have misunderstood what you meant? It sounded like you thought what he did was okay just because he was excited? It made Alabama look bad IMO...

That I didn't think the hit was dirty... it didn't make anybody on planet Earth think differently about Alabama... the people that thought it was dirty and he was trying to hurt the other player already think Saban is the devil and we are dirty. Noone is even talking about it anymore, its over.

As they say, y'all just agree to disagree :a:

Fanning has done the formal apologies and probably has some other internal actions Saban will keep between the staff and Fanning, so it's taken care of from our end and ready to move on. Whether the SEC does anything we will just have to see.

I'm just wondering what would have been the proper way to get that guy down. Fanning is holding him around the waist. I guess he picked him up, so maybe lay him down more gently? Or, hold him there like that until the whistle blew?

Perhaps he was he trying a WWF move on the guy? I know it looked like it. But maybe the ball carrier wasn't as heavy as he thought, and when he picked him up the guy just flipped over Fanning's back.

In all seriousness, how should he have gotten him down once he had him around the waist? I don't think Fanning was trying to hurt him. How do you judge intent?

If you say no one is talking about it, look again. It was just a segment on Around the Horn on ESPN at 5:20pm today and coming up on PTI. Just saying. Anytime Bama does something that could be construed as bad, people talk about it. My coworkers that are ACC folks brought it up first thing Monday morning.

Last edited:
Oh, it's going to lead to something, and it isn't going to be good, you can count on that...

I doubt we will see Fanning coming in the game for a while...

Or as my Old Coach used to say, "I am pretty sure, but I doubt it..."

You're making more of this than there is CC.

They been wanting Fanning to be more aggressive in his play. They got it, just not how they wanted it.

The number of results that come up on a search of a database mean nothing. It's a story being repeated. If you look at those links you'll see a lot of Gannett papers reprinting articles.

Sure, it's getting press. It was going to happen regardless.

What you said was,
"Oh, it's going to lead to something, and it isn't going to be good, you can count on that...

I doubt we will see Fanning coming in the game for a while..."

That is making more of it that it truly is.

Back
Top Bottom