| FTBL The Punt

• Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date

What About the Punt on 4th and 10 with 2 and a half minutes left?

• Wrong Call

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard to say since I know the outcome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
bamafan4ever said:
reger60 said:
I missed the whole series, I was on my way to the hockey game.

Just curious, what were the three plays called previously that put us in a 4th and 10 situation? Any KD runs up the middle?

Predator fan, Rege?

Yep. Especially when the tix are free. My daughter loves the hockey game.

Best part was, when I got home I had no idea what had happened on the World Series, so I watched the whole game on TiVO and fast forwarded through the commercials. Sweet win.

AlaphaMale said:
reger60 said:

Just curious, what were the three plays called previously that put us in a 4th and 10 situation? Any KD runs up the middle?

Wilson ran for zero.

Wilson Incomplete.

Wilson Incomplete.

Punt.

Why do I feel you already knew this?

I seriously did not know, but I'm always curious why people are quick to second guess a coaches decision to punt or go for it, yet rarely examine the decisions that put them in the position in the first place.

reger60 said:
bamafan4ever said:
reger60 said:

Predator fan, Rege?

Yep. Especially when the tix are free. My daughter loves the hockey game.

Best part was, when I got home I had no idea what had happened on the World Series, so I watched the whole game on TiVO and fast forwarded through the commercials. Sweet win.

Sweet win by the Cards, indeed!

I have actually gotten hooked on Thrasher Hockey myself. The game is much more entertaining in person than on TV.

BTW, TiVO is the best!!! I am a TiVO addict!

billfish said:
Simple.......field position and the punt return man could fumble. It was the right call with 2 TO's left. Pro/College/Pop Warner.....it was right.

I voted that it was the right call. The only reason I could possibly second-guess the call is because of the new clock rules in college football. If it wasn't for UT breaking the huddle with 12 men, it would not have yielded us enough time. I still think it was the right call at the time, especially given the way UT has played special teams this year.....until they played Bama that is.

I would like to clarify my stupidity. I was thinking of the drive before the one we are talking about when Bama WAS at the 41:

Alabama at 7:48
1st and 10 at ALA 20 John Parker Wilson pass complete to DJ Hall for 19 yards to the Alab 39 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at ALA 39 Kenneth Darby rush for 2 yards to the Alab 41.
2nd and 8 at ALA 41 John Parker Wilson pass incomplete.
3rd and 8 at ALA 41 John Parker Wilson pass incomplete.
4th and 8 at ALA 41 P.J. Fitzgerald punt for 29 yards punt out-of-bounds at the Tenn 30.

I think we should've gone for that one, but that's beside the point. I'm dumb and I'm going to bed :D :D

Don't know if there is a "right" call in a situation like that. However, the viles did help us out a little by getting a procedure penalty before they could run a 1st down play. That saved us an extra 15 seconds to try and come back. I hate the new clock rules by the way.

reger60 said:
AlaphaMale said:
reger60 said:

Wilson ran for zero.

Wilson Incomplete.

Wilson Incomplete.

Punt.

I seriously did not know, but I'm always curious why people are quick to second guess a coaches decision to punt or go for it, yet rarely examine the decisions that put them in the position in the first place.

I agree. The 4th and goal situation really should never have happened. 3rd and goal from the seven and we run a draw play??????? Shula was playing for the FG before the 4th down ever became a factor. :cry:

Lenny Kozlowski said:
reger60 said:
AlaphaMale said:
reger60 said:

Wilson ran for zero.

Wilson Incomplete.

Wilson Incomplete.

Punt.

I agree. The 4th and goal situation really should never have happened. 3rd and goal from the seven and we run a draw play??????? Shula was playing for the FG before the 4th down ever became a factor. :cry:

I am just wondering if anyone here saw the pressure that was/has been on JPW everytime he dropped back to pass. The best way to counter that pressure is with screens and draws. I thought the draw play was a GREAT call. It damn near worked. That's one of those calls that if it works, you're a genius. I think Shula at first was running it to get closer so he could go for it, but then talked himself out of going for the TD. I could see him doing it on TV. He wanted to go, but didn't pull the trigger.

All that said, we had the lead the whole game. Shula coached the whole game. It's the players that play the game. It's the players that determine the winner of the game. If we are gonna praise JPW, DJ Hall, Darby, Johns, and the defense when we win, we need to blame them a little when we lose. I am not naive enough to think that it is all the players fault. However, I am certainly not naive enough to think it is ALL the coaches fault either. The blame lies with the WHOLE team. They win as a team and they lose as a team. Period. This season is not over. We can still beat LSU and Auburn. Which at the beginning of the year was the ones I was hoping we would win anyways. I have almost forgotten what it's like to beat AU and/or LSU. Also, not to mention that MSU is starting to play a little better. We better be ready for that game. That is, as long as we can get by FIU without getting all our players thrown in jail for inciting a riot on the field.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
So a draw play on 3rd and goal from the 7 is a good call in your opin? Tells me a lot. :shock:

The best thing to do in that situation is not be predictable. What would you have ran. The big side of the field was on the right side. Everyone knows this is our weakest side. The defense was caught completely off guard and Darby got the ball to the one yard line.

Listen closely....

THE ABSOLUTE BEST TIME TO RUN A DRAW PLAY IS IN OBVIOUS PASSING SITUATIONS WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THAT WAS!!!

There was no guarantee that the line could even keep JPW upright, so Shula made an outstanding call there considering the alternatives. Now, if he would have only backed that up with the stones to go for the touchdown we would have been better off.

DirtyDave said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:
So a draw play on 3rd and goal from the 7 is a good call in your opin? Tells me a lot. :shock:

The best thing to do in that situation is not be predictable. What would you have ran. The big side of the field was on the right side. Everyone knows this is our weakest side. The defense was caught completely off guard and Darby got the ball to the one yard line.

Listen closely....

THE ABSOLUTE BEST TIME TO RUN A DRAW PLAY IS IN OBVIOUS PASSING SITUATIONS WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THAT WAS!!!

There was no guarantee that the line could even keep JPW upright, so Shula made an outstanding call there considering the alternatives. Now, if he would have only backed that up with the stones to go for the touchdown we would have been better off.

It was a very good call, for all the reasons you mention above. Nice post.

Listen guys a draw play on 3rd and goal from the 7 might work 1 outta 50. Its too cramped, the dbs can make the play because they arent ran downfield. It was a give up call.
In Daves orginal post he said "we caught the defense completely off guard" IT STILL DIDNT WORK! How is that a good call?

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Listen guys a draw play on 3rd and goal from the 7 might work 1 outta 50. Its too cramped, the dbs can make the play because they arent ran downfield. It was a give up call.
In Daves orginal post he said "we caught the defense completely off guard" IT STILL DIDNT WORK! How is that a good call?

So the ONLY good calls are the ones that are successful?

Of course, those statistics aren't real. You pulled them right out of your baxter.

It Takes Eleven said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:

Of course, those statistics aren't real. You pulled them right out of your baxter.

Thats why I said might, I never claimed that to be a true stat. (it would be hard to find enough plays to make it a stat because most coaches arent gonna run that) Some calls that dont work are good ones. This wasnt one of them.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:

Thats why I said might, I never claimed that to be a true stat. (it would be hard to find enough plays to make it a stat because most coaches arent gonna run that) Some calls that dont work are good ones. This wasnt one of them.

An additional gain of 39 inches would've made it a good call, or just Bama getting away with a bad call?

It Takes Eleven said:
Lenny Kozlowski said:

Out of your baxter.

Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom