Thanks alot Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley!

RollTideinGA

Proud Bama Grad
I mean really, where is the common sense with this moron? I believe he showed poor judgement in alienating any portion of the people he was elected to represent. He has just showed poor leadership on his first day at work.

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.
DUH! Idiot! How could he not realize as an elected official that his words in whatever setting would be printed for all to see or hear? People of other faiths or those that are athiest (sp?) could possibly see it in a negative light. So why even have the possibility of any misunderstanding?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

Go ahead people flame away, I put my firesuit on. I dont believe he should apologize for his religion, but maybe for a poor choice of words. I dont believe he meant to insult anyone but chose a poor way to express himself.

*** OMG he is a Univ of Alabama grad....:frown:

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, he is accurate as to who his brothers and sisters in Christ are. While speaking in a minority church, he was trying to find common ground with Christians of all races, but in having it picked up by the press he did alienate nonbelievers.

Your understanding of the separation of church and state is flawed. Leaders are not prohibited from espousing or practicing their religion.

It's always funny that the left preaches tolerance for "unique" lifestyles, but is categorically intolerant of Christian beliefs. Calling for a leader's resignation because of accurate statements made before a congregation is laughable, but the very definition of intolerance.

RTR,

Tim

If he said this during his inauguration speach, I could see it as a POSSIBLE problem. Nothing I'd want him to resign over, impeached, or anything like that, I'd just think it would be wrong.

Saying it in church? Not a thing wrong with that.

Strictly speaking, he is accurate as to who his brothers and sisters in Christ are. While speaking in a minority church, he was trying to find common ground with Christians of all races, but in having it picked up by the press he did alienate nonbelievers.

Your understanding of the separation of church and state is flawed. Leaders are not prohibited from espousing or practicing their religion.

It's always funny that the left preaches tolerance for "unique" lifestyles, but is categorically intolerant of Christian beliefs. Calling for a leader's resignation because of accurate statements made before a congregation is laughable, but the very definition of intolerance.

RTR,

Tim

You nailed it.

... he did alienate nonbelievers.

Nice...no comment.

Actually you are correct I should not have included sep of church & state because I was wrong on that count. I do think he was wrong for alienating people he is supposed to be representing no matter where he said it. I stand alone and figured I would on this board but I say poor judgement on his part.

And I'm not left or intolerant. But thanks for judging. I just have an opinion.

After all shouldnt we all look at each other as brothers and sisters rather than infidels, nonbelievers, or whatever other insult you choose based off your religious beliefs? Maybe we should spend a little more time getting along rather than trying to convert everyone to our own beliefs.

Last edited:
Nice...no comment.

Actually you are correct I should not have included sep of church & state because I was wrong on that count. I do think he was wrong for alienating people he is supposed to be representing no matter where he said it. I stand alone and figured I would on this board but I say poor judgement on his part.

After all shouldnt we all look at each other as brothers and sisters rather than infidels, nonbelievers, or whatever other insult you choose based off your religious beliefs? Maybe we should spend a little more time getting along rather than trying to convert everyone to our own beliefs.

The Bible clearly states that you're supposed to witness and spread the Gospel. I don't see where he insulted anyone.

Nice...no comment.

As to judging, you made the clear statement that the governor should resign over his statements made in church. That's either an overreaction on your part, or you're intolerant of him espousing his religious beliefs.

His statements are accurate. Again, the media seized on his followup comments after he had noted that faith crosses all racial and socioeconomic lines and binds believers together. Omitting that initial statement, upon which the other statements were based, didn't suit their purposes so it wasn't mentioned.

We should all show love, consideration and kindness to others, regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe the Governor has done that in his life, and will do it throughout his term. However, if a Christian has a relationship that is life-changing and free to all, there is (and should be) an urging to share it with others. His last statement was that he wanted everyone to be his brother and sister, and that it's an opportunity available to all. The message that God's grace is available to all is normal language in a church, and it's not incendiary.

RTR,

Tim

As to judging, you made the clear statement that the governor should resign over his statements made in church. That's either an overreaction on your part, or you're intolerant of him espousing his religious beliefs.

His statements are accurate. Again, the media seized on his followup comments after he had noted that faith crosses all racial and socioeconomic lines and binds believers together. Omitting that initial statement, upon which the other statements were based, didn't suit their purposes so it wasn't mentioned.

We should all show love, consideration and kindness to others, regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe the Governor has done that in his life, and will do it throughout his term. However, if a Christian has a relationship that is life-changing and free to all, there is (and should be) an urging to share it with others. His last statement was that he wanted everyone to be his brother and sister, and that it's an opportunity available to all. The message that God's grace is available to all is normal language in a church, and it's not incendiary.

RTR,

Tim

Well put, Tim. In Christ's last words to his followers before his ascension he commanded them to "make disciples of all nations". Christianity is an inclusive religion. The last part of John 3:16 is "that whosoever believes on him shall not perish but have eternal life.

It is a tenet of Christian beliefs that those without Christ are destined for hell. Out of love for the unsaved the gospel is shared and unbelievers are urged to come to Christ.

You are all missing my point. You cant see past the religion. I said the sep of church and state was wrong. It was a knee jerk reaction and I apologize for that. The resign comment was an overaction I agree. And I'm absolutely not intolerant.

I still say that he was wrong to alienate any segment of the people he is supposed to represent. My concern is as a leader he alienated portion of people on the first day in office. That is just plain poor leadership.

Any conversation involving religion or politics is a lost cause because people are so hardcore on their beliefs and unwilling to see any other side. All you see is religion, I am talking about his lack of vision of how his words would be taken as a leader. I could care less about his faith.

* BTW I just edited the initial post, see if that makes you feel more warm and fuzzy. Its how I feel and agree to never post on a knee jerk reaction. The backgorund is this guys I had a co-worker (Hindu) ask me if I heard what that new Alabama govener said. And I had to explain that not all of us Southerners are over zealous people that are trying to convert everyone to a certain religion or lifestyle.

Last edited:
You are all missing my point. You cant see past the religion. I said the sep of church and state was wrong. It was a knee jerk reaction and I apologize for that. The resign comment was an overaction I agree. And I'm absolutely not intolerant.

I still say that he was wrong to alienate any segment of the people he is supposed to represent. My concern is as a leader he alienated portion of people on the first day in office. That is just plain poor leadership.

Any conversation involving religion or politics is a lost cause because people are so hardcore on their beliefs and unwilling to see any other side. All you see is religion, I am talking about his lack of vision of how his words would be taken as a leader. I could care less about his faith.

* BTW I just edited the initial post, see if that makes you feel more warm and fuzzy. Its how I feel and agree to never post on a knee jerk reaction. The backgorund is this guys I had a co-worker (Hindu) ask me if I heard what that new Alabama govener said. And I had to explain that not all of us Southerners are over zealous people that are trying to convert everyone to a certain religion or lifestyle.

There's nothing wrong with knee-jerk responses - my post count would about 75% lower without those.

I can indeed see past the issue of religion. The new guv is not a polished politician, and while in speaking in a church the Baptist deacon said what he's said and heard most of his life. He could have said it differently and still have shared his faith without offending.

As to the intolerant comment, it wasn't directed to your post as much as it was a general assessment all of the uproar that followed on TV. Perhaps that comment a bit knee-jerkish, or maybe just jerkish. I actually watched a clip from The View of them discussing this, and I'm now even stooooopider for having done so.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom