| CURRENT EVENTS UA loses respected Earth Science professor in part due to ‘hijacked science’

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Meant to post this a couple days ago and it slipped my mind until tonight. Thought some may find it interesting… the news got quite a bit of attention on social media when he tweeted it out… [click tweet to read entire tweet thread]

Whatever you think of his views, I always have some respect for anyone who at least is willing to interact with others and explain/defend their views… seems he’s not afraid to do that on Twitter, and he does it in a respectful way.

Here’s an article on him that a friend of mine wrote…

<Twitter thread unfurled>

Why I am leaving the University of Alabama:

Some internet sleuths have discovered that I will be leaving my faculty position in the Department of Geological Sciences after this semester so I thought I should tell you why. As with most large decisions, the reasons...

...are mainly personal. COVID made me realize that we were really far from our families in CA and the travel on our elderly parents was taking a toll. The result was that our children were not seeing their grandparents very often. As a Polish immigrant I know what it's like...

...to live far from family and I started to resent myself for choosing my career over my family's time together. Furthermore, over the last decade or so, but especially the last few years, the obsession with universities and grant-funding institutions...

...on immutable characteristics of faculty and students and the push for equity in science above all else has dramatically changed the profession of an academic professor. The rise of illiberalism in the name of DEI is the antithesis of the principles that universities...

...were founded on. These are no longer places that embrace the freedom of exchanging ideas and will punish those that go against the narrative. Although I had worked from an early age to earn a Ph.D. and become a professor, like my father, I feel the profession...

...is no longer worthy of my efforts. Contributing to this is the earth science communities silence on the false "climate emergency" narrative. Members of the community routinely discuss the mental health effects of climate catastrophism but dare not speak out...

...lest they lose their positions and research funds. I will continue to objectively review the current state of the science and provide my expert opinions through social media and a future podcast and book (hopefully, coming soon). I appreciate all of the support I have...

...received from followers here and members within the community (who shall remain nameless). If you live in CO get ready for the Wielicki Whirlwind! Excited about this new chapter in my life. #climate #Wokeness

Just want to say thank you for the out pouring of support. 😊

Back
Top Bottom