| FTBL Star vs AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
As '66 was alluding to, this whole race issue is a slippery slope in itself and should not be part of the football forum, imo. I hated all the debates over this subject when Zow and Watts were playing and I hate it now.

I think Saban is going to put the best players on the field....period. Please, let's move on.

Has anyone looked at our team? Majority is black. Why not have a black QB ? As most agree, I think the best QB will win the job. Not just best on the field but best "All Around" guy. Meaning on and off the field.

Bama1966 said:
I don't know what to say here really, other than I hope the better QB wins, I don't care if he is black, white, or polka-dotted. Lets move on, or carry your debate to the smack forum please.

Bingo!

bamafan4ever said:
As '66 was alluding to, this whole race issue is a slippery slope in itself and should not be part of the football forum, imo. I hated all the debates over this subject when Zow and Watts were playing and I hate it now.

I think Saban is going to put the best players on the field....period. Please, let's move on.

;tr

bamafan4ever said:

AIGHT?! 8)

As Terry pointed out earlier, Star will get some reps this season burning his redshirt. AJ (assuming he doesn't go pro) WILL redshirt in '09 while Star will be a sophomore.

This puts Star Jackson as a junior in '10 while AJ will be a redshirt freshman. Honestly, I don't see a redshirt AJ beating out a Junior QB with experience.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to spark a race debate. The only reason I included it is because that's the first thing that came to my mind when reading about how "Star will get beat out by AJ."

I didn't know that Star wouldn't redshirt. Thanks for the info. I know we're playing the "what if" game now, but if they were in the same recruiting class, why would be more highly sought after?

TideAlum05 said:
I didn't know that Star wouldn't redshirt. Thanks for the info. I know we're playing the "what if" game now, but if they were in the same recruiting class, why would be more highly sought after?

Well, it's not written in stone that Star won't redshirt. I think there's a good chance he won't redshirt though.

As for your question about which would be more sought after....I can't answer. McCarron has the better arm. Star has better wheels. The main difference in the two for me is size. I think Star has the size to take SEC hits now. McCarron will need a redshirt year to put some weight on.

TideAlum05 said:
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to spark a race debate. The only reason I included it is because that's the first thing that came to my mind when reading about how "Star will get beat out by AJ."

That opinion is my/our speculation. I base my opinion on two things.

One, if last season would have gone differently we would have seen Fanuzzi getting more reps as well as Greg Mc. Fanuzzi got reps the first game of the year and if we were consistent he would have had more...at least that was the plan.

Two, at LSU, Saban played

'02
Randall
Mauck
Claussen

'03

Mauck
Randall
Clayton
Bech (smallest contributor, 6 games)

'04

Randall
Russell
Flynn (smallest contributor, 8 games)

You can see, based on his history, he likes for his backups to get reps in games.

The question right now, in my mind, is IF it is Fanuzzi or Jackson that sees the field.

This is just a guess, but I feel that eventually Fanuzzi is going to be the odd man out.

I've mentioned it and so has Argo in this thread.

The biggest question with AJ is going to be his MLB draft status. He has a good chance to go in the first round or early second. If he's drafted that high, he's going to play baseball.

TerryP said:
TideAlum05 said:

That opinion is my/our speculation. I base my opinion on two things.

One, if last season would have gone differently we would have seen Fanuzzi getting more reps as well as Greg Mc. Fanuzzi got reps the first game of the year and if we were consistent he would have had more...at least that was the plan.

Two, at LSU, Saban played

'02
Randall
Mauck
Claussen

'03

Mauck
Randall
Clayton
Bech (smallest contributor, 6 games)

'04

Randall
Russell
Flynn (smallest contributor, 8 games)

You can see, based on his history, he likes for his backups to get reps in games.

The question right now, in my mind, is IF it is Fanuzzi or Jackson that sees the field.

This is just a guess, but I feel that eventually Fanuzzi is going to be the odd man out.

I've mentioned it and so has Argo in this thread.

The biggest question with AJ is going to be his MLB draft status. He has a good chance to go in the first round or early second. If he's drafted that high, he's going to play baseball.

Knowing Coach Saban knows this, why are we not pursuing another QB if this happens? What am I missing here and I know about the Scolly limits. Surly signing one less DB to get a QB in the 2009 class is not a bad thing, right?

Crimson Grin said:
Knowing Coach Saban knows this, why are we not pursuing another QB if this happens? What am I missing here and I know about the Scolly limits. Surly signing one less DB to get a QB in the 2009 class is not a bad thing, right?

While Shula did sign a lot of DB's, very few of them meet the "Saban test" when it comes to talent. Right now, even with what seems like a deep position (in terms of numbers) it isn't that deep in terms of talent.

We've been open to signing another QB this season but it had to be a special one. One of those just hasn't come along that has been worth the effort to pursue him.

Assuming AJ takes the MLB route, we'll still have 5 QB's on campus next season...3 on Athletic Scholly, one walk-on and one on Bryant Scholly.

TerryP said:
Assuming AJ takes the MLB route, we'll still have 5 QB's on campus next season...3 on Athletic Scholly, one walk-on and one on Bryant Scholly.

Ugh, I don't like this one bit. I never heard about the possibility of MLB til last nt. :roll:

Terry, please review the QB's available if this does happen. I know the obvious ones on scholly - McElroy, Fanuzzi and Jackson. Can't recall the other 2 you mentioned. If AJ doesn't sign then that really puts us in a must need QB situation for the 2010 class. Actually it puts us in a must need for another QB for 2009, but you make it sound like that won't happen.

Remember the Brandon Avalos experience? If you lived through that you'd recognize my concern here. :?

Not Terry, but Major Ogilvy's son Morgan is the Bryant scholarship player. I think Darrah is the walk on.

Darrah looked as good as any of them at the spring game. he didn't look all that athletic, but he has a cannon and was accurate.

i wouldn't be surprised if he was a factor in the #3 spot this year.

imatigerfan said:
Is it just a race thing?

Is that meant because Star is black??? I highly doubt people will hold being black against a football player. If anything I would think it would work for him, not against him.

It's true. Alabama fans only care about one color....Crimson. I don't care if the Qb is a GIRL as long as they are putting points on the board. I don't think race will effect this competition one way or another.

It is somewhat depressing to find out about the whole MLB thing. AJ said himself that if he did fo first round he would follow the MLB route. Scares me for this reason: high school kid throwing at or around 90mph, that is felt has not peaked at this point in his career almost certainly = first round. I hope we are recruiting other QB's for this class. I like AJ and feel he is a great athelete with an ever better head on his shoulders. He is a can't miss in the MLB draft if he has a good season. I hope he has a awful baseball season and I know that is selfish, but he will be one of the better QB's Bama has seen when it is all said and done imho. :twisted:

I hate to say this from our football team's point of view, but if he is that kind of baseball prospect he needs to distance himself from football as soon as he can. Freddy Kitchens is a classic example. Out of HS he had a fastball in the nineties and was likely to have been a high draft pick. He took up baseball again after he finished football eligibility and the fastball topped out at around 85 (after four years of taking a lot of hits because of weak offensive lines). If baseball doesn't work out he can always come back and give football another shot.

This is all speculation...And the racist thing is so ridiculous, it does not warrant a response. A coach will put in the guy who gives his team the best opportunity to win. Period. This is not park ball, where favorites are played. These coaches get paid. Their jobs depend on wins and losses.
As far as AJ playing baseball, I would think that decision will depend on his performance this year on the baseball field. Either way...He is out talking up the Alabama program to the other athletes, which helps us in recruiting. ALL of these kids are on a mission to build a winning program. None of them know what the future holds, but they do know that the University of Alabama has a spot for them should they decide to play college football. If AJ should get drafted, he has already helped ALabama more than most know.

I'm like the great majority of posters here and Alabama fans in general. I don't care if a player is black, white, red, blue, green, pink, or purple. If he's the best at a position, play him.

If memory serves (and many times mine doesn't), we've had two black starting QBs: Walter Lewis and Danny Woodson. One was pretty dang good; one was not. So what does that say? Not a dang thing.

Btw, do we have to learn that dang texting lingo to post here, now? Some of this stuff is unreadable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom