| FTBL Stalling's Defense Vs. Saban's Defense

G

Gene Stalling's 1992 NC team allowed an average of 55 yards per game on the ground.

So far this year, Saban's 2008 team has allowed only 51 yards per game on the ground.

:shock:

Then again, Stalling's defense that year led the nation in several defensive statistical categories. They were #1 in the nation in 3 or 4 different defensive stats.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Gene Stalling's 1992 NC team allowed an average of 55 yards per game on the ground.

So far this year, Saban's 2008 team has allowed only 51 yards per game on the ground.

Then again, Stalling's defense that year led the nation in several defensive statistical categories. They were #1 in the nation in 3 or 4 different defensive stats.

That was one of the greatest college defenses ever assembled back in 1992. That team is pictured next to the phrase "defense wins championships". This year's defense is blue collar-solid all the way. They may not be the most talented group but as a team, you won't find a better outfit in college football this year. That post you made last week with Javier and Kirby Smart was very thought provoking and right down the middle. This team is a team. I don't remember seeing chemistry return so fast to a team devoid of chemistry for so long.

bamafan4ever said:
CtrlAltieDel said:

That was one of the greatest college defenses ever assembled back in 1992. That team is pictured next to the phrase "defense wins championships". This year's defense is blue collar-solid all the way. They may not be the most talented group but as a team, you won't find a better outfit in college football this year. That post you made last week with Javier and Kirby Smart was very thought provoking and right down the middle. This team is a team. I don't remember seeing chemistry return so fast to a team devoid of chemistry for so long.

Very well said, bamafan4ever. I guess maybe they were just hungry. They needed some cohesion so badly they just took to it right away. They wanted to be a team but just hadn't had anyone to allow them and teach them how to be one.

CtrlAltieDel said:
They were #1 in the nation in 3 or 4 different defensive stats.

In that 4th stat (Passing yards as I recall)they finished a very close second. At the time I figured out that it came down to on play late in a blow out where the holder (a fourth year guy) way put in at DB and got beat. I can live with that.

bamafan4ever said:
CtrlAltieDel said:

It's funny to me how there are still so many that look at Shula and say he was fired for his record when it abundantly clear what "addition by subtraction" nets in the end.

One thing you mentioned here that's is worth going into further detail about.

If you look at our defense, right now, we have one player, ONE, that could impact next years draft if he decides to leave. That is Cody.

Compare that to the '92 team that had how many drafted off of that defense? Was it 9 of 11? The rest still getting invites to camps?

As much as I like Rashad I think he'll be lucky if his name gets called in the first 4-5 rounds. But, then again, I'm not a big follower of the NFL. He's not making dramatic waves this year, so far.

Another thing that dawned on me reading this thread is if you remember it was the influx of JUCO talent on the DL that made that '92 DL what it was. Now, with this defense, another JUCO player is making the difference.

TerryP said:
bamafan4ever said:
CtrlAltieDel said:

That was one of the greatest college defenses ever assembled back in 1992. That team is pictured next to the phrase "defense wins championships". This year's defense is blue color-solid all the way. They may not be the most talented group but as a team, you won't find a better outfit in college football this year. That post you made last week with Javier and Kirby Smart was very thought provoking and right down the middle. This team is a team. I don't remember seeing chemistry return so fast to team devoid of chemistry for so long.

It's funny to me how there are still so many that look at Shula and say he was fired for his record when it abundantly clear what "addition by subtraction" nets in the end.

If you look at our defense, right now, we have one player, ONE, that could impact next years draft if he decides to leave. That is Cody.

Compare that to the '92 team that had how many drafted off of that defense? Was it 9 of 11? The rest still getting invites to camps?

As much as I like Rashad I think he'll be lucky if his name gets called in the first 4-5 rounds. But, then again, I'm not a big follower of the NFL. He's not making dramatic waves this year, so far.

Another thing that dawned on me reading this thread is if you remember it was the influx of JUCO talent on the DL that made that '92 DL what it was. Now, with this defense, another JUCO player is making the difference.

Very good point!

Coach Bryant used to love his "'tweeners" and this team is full of them. Coach Saban brought up a good example at one of his press conferences this week when someone asked about Bobby Greenwood..."one of the hardest workers on the team...brings it every day".

bamafan4ever said:
TerryP said:
bamafan4ever said:
CtrlAltieDel said:

That was one of the greatest college defenses ever assembled back in 1992. That team is pictured next to the phrase "defense wins championships". This year's defense is blue color-solid all the way. They may not be the most talented group but as a team, you won't find a better outfit in college football this year. That post you made last week with Javier and Kirby Smart was very thought provoking and right down the middle. This team is a team. I don't remember seeing chemistry return so fast to team devoid of chemistry for so long.

Very good point!

Coach Bryant used to love his "'tweeners" and this team is full of them. Coach Saban brought up a good example at one of his press conferences this week when someone asked about Bobby Greenwood..."one of the hardest workers on the team...brings it every day".

Watching hims play tells me this is true...."Play like you practice." a coach told me....over and over again. He works hard on the field every game. Cody is not the only one making the defense what it is ( but he is helping a lot). We have more push on the DL and defense, this year. Intensity. Drive. Motivation. Three good words to describe our defense so far this year.

Back
Top Bottom