| FTBL šŸˆ South Carolina at Alabama šŸˆ - Post game press conference posted

Iā€™ll move on as well, but Iā€™m still stunned by the line of thinking. And it isnā€™t just you, youā€™re the only one really responding though.

But were you worried when Bama went into victory formation twice 2 weeks ago against UGA? It was by FAR the safest way to put the game in the books then and yesterday. Iā€™m usually fairly open to opposing views and opinions but Iā€™m fighting back in this one. LOL. It isnā€™t, ā€œBama loses because they donā€™t lift weightsā€ bad like I dove into last week, but stillā€¦

View attachment 29141

I'll still stand that when points are given you take them when you have struggled. I would have never looked back at this game and pointed directly to this play and said "that lost us the game". I would have gone to the pathetic safety or interception in the end zone by Milroe, or the interception at the end of the Half, or the 4th down touchdown play.

It's easy to say this, that, and the other when you're watching the day after or thinking after the fact, but in the moment you take the points and score. Nothing is given with this team and that has shown. A guy taking snaps under center that ain't used to it? I wouldn't put it past anyone with what we have seen the last couple of years. Up eight, I know I cannot lose the game. No one in this fan base thought they would score, but it happened. Pretty certain most felt the onside kick wouldn't work either, it happened. I'm not planning my play off of those small percentage instances. If anything, I blame Jackson for not pressing Harbour closer to the sideline. For goodness sakes, the ball was in the air forever and he had already boxed him in, so finish it.

I'll still stand that when points are given you take them when you have struggled. I would have never looked back at this game and pointed directly to this play and said "that lost us the game". I would have gone to the pathetic safety or interception in the end zone by Milroe, or the interception at the end of the Half, or the 4th down touchdown play.

It's easy to say this, that, and the other when you're watching the day after or thinking after the fact, but in the moment you take the points and score. Nothing is given with this team and that has shown. A guy taking snaps under center that ain't used to it? I wouldn't put it past anyone with what we have seen the last couple of years. Up eight, I know I cannot lose the game. No one in this fan base thought they would score, but it happened. Pretty certain most felt the onside kick wouldn't work either, it happened. I'm not planning my play off of those small percentage instances. If anything, I blame Jackson for not pressing Harbour closer to the sideline. For goodness sakes, the ball was in the air forever and he had already boxed him in, so finish it.

When was the last time you saw a turnover out of the victory formation? Conversely, how many times have you seen a team drive 75 yards in 2 minutes or less and score a TD when they have 4 downs to work with the entire way? I'm honestly amazed at the line of thinking here by some in re: to this. I feel like I'm being punked on one of those practical joke deals.

When was the last time you saw a turnover out of the victory formation? Conversely, how many times have you seen a team drive 75 yards in 2 minutes or less and score a TD when they have 4 downs to work with the entire way? I'm honestly amazed at the line of thinking here by some in re: to this. I feel like I'm being punked on one of those practical joke deals.

How many teams have you seen give up a four touchdown lead in less than a Half of football? I know I have seen MANY fumbles under center from shotgun only offenses the last however many years, so it's all possible. Percentages are low for both of what you just stated, so it really doesn't matter, it's preference basically. I bet it was incredibly slim chance of us giving up 12 points in less than two minutes to end the Half. Why aren't you stating we should have taken a knee there as well to get out of the Half?

You say you can't understand the line of thinking yet we did not lose the game. Your point is no more valid than a comment about the defense not sending more pressure or my opinion on how it should have been handled.

How many teams have you seen give up a four touchdown lead in less than a Half of football?

The 2nd half of the UGA game is a perfect example of why the game didn't need to be in the hands of the defense when the team could have already been in the locker room enjoying the win.

I know I have seen MANY fumbles under center from shotgun only offenses the last however many years, so it's all possible.

I don't recall ever seeing a turnover out of the victory formation either.

Percentages are low for both of what you just stated, so it really doesn't matter, it's preference basically.

No, percentages are somewhat low on one end, yet it still happen most every week. On the other option, the percentage is so miniscule it rounds to 0.

I bet it was incredibly slim chance of us giving up 12 points in less than two minutes to end the Half. Why aren't you stating we should have taken a knee there as well to get out of the Half?

Because taking a knee at that point doesn't guarantee victory.

You say you can't understand the line of thinking yet we did not lose the game.

And still don't. Just because Bama dodged 2 bullets and got the win doesn't justify the line of thinking. (again though, I get why Bernard did it, it wasn't on him... though I saw one play in the NFL just today where a guy in a similar situation slid down inside the 5 instead of scoring)

Your point is no more valid than a comment about the defense not sending more pressure or my opinion on how it should have been handled.

The validity of my point rests on the fact that there was a much greater chance to win the game by running out the clock than giving the ball back to a team, with time on the clock, who only needed to score once (plus the conversion) to tie it. And in that actual example that played out before our eyes, they failed the conversion and still got another opportunity with the ball, but with a chance to win that time. If you believe that your opinion on it is better, or even equal somehow, that's fine. And if this is indeed an elaborate and coordinated prank that is causing me to waste time with the back and forth... well, bully for you.

The 2nd half of the UGA game is a perfect example of why the game didn't need to be in the hands of the defense when the team could have already been in the locker room enjoying the win.

No, percentages are somewhat low on one end, yet it still happen most every week. On the other option, the percentage is so miniscule it rounds to 0.

And still don't. Just because Bama dodged 2 bullets and got the win doesn't justify the line of thinking. (again though, I get why Bernard did it, it wasn't on him... though I saw one play in the NFL just today where a guy in a similar situation slid down inside the 5 instead of scoring)

The validity of my point rests on the fact that there was a much greater chance to win the game by running out the clock than giving the ball back to a team, with time on the clock, who only needed to score once (plus the conversion) to tie it. And in that actual example that played out before our eyes, they failed the conversion and still got another opportunity with the ball, but with a chance to win that time. If you believe that your opinion on it is better, or even equal somehow, that's fine. And if this is indeed an elaborate and coordinated prank that is causing me to waste time with the back and forth... well, bully for you.

No, it's just letting you know there are multiple ways to skin a cat. He was not wrong for scoring. To be fair, if both of us had all the right answers we'd be making millions on the sideline instead of talking about differing opinions on rolltidebama. You talk about the one play you saw today, but not the MANY other times NFL players aren't sliding or taking the knee. I can't recall any stories off the top of my head where not scoring costed a team. Once again, anyone can spin a point to justify their stance. I'll leave it at that and let you have the last word if you would like.

Brandon, I was at a high school game a few weeks ago. Home team needed a 1st down & could run out the clock. Home team ran 50+ yards for td. Visiting team got the ball & scored quickly (less than 1 minute left in game), got onside kick, scored & went for two - they didnā€™t make it, but all could have been avoided by making 1st down & then running out the clock - situational awareness

No, it's just letting you know there are multiple ways to skin a cat. He was not wrong for scoring. To be fair, if both of us had all the right answers we'd be making millions on the sideline instead of talking about differing opinions on rolltidebama. You talk about the one play you saw today, but not the MANY other times NFL players aren't sliding or taking the knee. I can't recall any stories off the top of my head where not scoring costed a team. Once again, anyone can spin a point to justify their stance. I'll leave it at that and let you have the last word if you would like.
actually he was wrong... and there is no other way to look at it. Zero...Nada... you take a knee on the 1 yard line, line up in victory formation and end the game. You can argue that it was not the WRs fault... I can agree with that, the coaches should have been telling the players if you get a first down get down and stay inbounds.... They should have told the players not to score. This is just basic football stuff. It's not complicated. You can have a difference of opinion, but your opinion would just be wrong. The right answer to that play was to take and knee and run the clock out, regardless of how things actually turned out or may have turned out.

From ChatGPT
Instances of teams fumbling and losing possession during the victory formation in college football are extremely rare. Victory formation is specifically designed to minimize the risk of losing possession by simply kneeling down to run out the clock. However, on very rare occasions, teams have fumbled or lost the ball due to mishandling the snap or unusual defensive actions.

While there is no comprehensive database tracking every instance, a few specific cases are often cited as notable examples:

Miami vs. Duke (2015) - In a controversial game, Miami lined up in victory formation, but Duke managed to force a fumble that led to a chaotic sequence. However, Miami ultimately held on to the ball, and the game ended on a Miami kickoff return touchdown.

USC vs. Arizona State (2014) - USC attempted a kneel-down, but there was a mishap with the snap. Arizona State did not recover the fumble, but it caused a scare for USC.

Rutgers vs. Purdue (1997) - In this case, Rutgers was in a victory formation but managed to fumble the snap. However, Rutgers recovered the ball, so possession was not lost.

Northwestern vs. Stanford (1995) - Northwestern, during victory formation, fumbled the ball but retained possession.

Because these events are so rare and generally happen under exceptional circumstances, theyā€™re often memorable but not statistically common. Victory formation is nearly foolproof as long as the snap is handled cleanly, and the offensive team follows standard procedures.

Granted driving 75 yards in the final 2 minutes is not common either; however, it is seen much more frequent. It has happened at least 3 times so far this year...

USC's Quinten Joyner ran for a 75-yard touchdown late in a game against Penn State

Alabama's Ryan Williams scored on a lengthy touchdown against Georgia with under two minutes remaining, securing a win

Georgia Techā€™s Jamal Haynes managed a 68-yard touchdown run with seconds left against North Carolina, capping off a dramatic late-game drive

Last edited:
actually he was wrong... and there is no other way to look at it. Zero...Nada... you take a knee on the 1 yard line, line up in victory formation and end the game. You can argue that it was not the WRs fault... I can agree with that, the coaches should have been telling the players if you get a first down get down and stay inbounds.... They should have told the players not to score. This is just basic football stuff. It's not complicated. You can have a difference of opinion, but your opinion would just be wrong. The right answer to that play was to take and knee and run the clock out, regardless of how things actually turned out or may have turned out.

From ChatGPT

Granted driving 75 yards in the final 2 minutes is not common either; however, it is seen much more frequent. It has happened at least 3 times so far this year...

USC's Quinten Joyner ran for a 75-yard touchdown late in a game against Penn State

Alabama's Ryan Williams scored on a lengthy touchdown against Georgia with under two minutes remaining, securing a win

Georgia Techā€™s Jamal Haynes managed a 68-yard touchdown run with seconds left against North Carolina, capping off a dramatic late-game drive

I never said it was THE answer, I simply said I'm never telling a kid to not score. Awareness is key, no doubt, but you see it one way and I see it another. We can argue till we're blue in the face, but until you're in that situation and making every perfect call, it's all speculation. You providing every decision you make strictly on analytics? Analytics do fail, although they have the privilege of changing at every moment, and you see if often simply by looking at ESPN's Win Predictor for an easy one to track.

USC's touchdown you speak of was in the 1st quarter.

Alabama had all three timeouts and a two minute warning with 2:30 seconds left. Also went up by seven.

North Carolina was losing when they scored to give Tech the ball back, so telling him not to score makes no sense. Georgia Tech also had two timeouts to play with.

South Carolina had to go 75 yards with no timeouts with 1:47 left. 98.4% win probability for Alabama after they scored that was 94.2% before the touchdown on 2nd and 9 (closest I could get it on my phone). That states we had a better shot to win when we scored than before we scored. Obviously that goes down as we continue to let them drive the ball downfield, but I'm just presenting the information.

Alright I reviewed the game-tape - All-22 for the game and put in some information on all the glaring issues and questions I had. It's a breakdown of possessions on offense and defense with some small stuff about Special Teams.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or comments.
1st Quarter

Offense:
1st possession
  • Great Scripted Start - Moved the ball laterally and found soft spots in zone coverage. Great Drive to start game
2nd possession
  • Negative play on first down, WR screen they had 4 guys in position to defend 2 blockers and 1 WR. Shouldā€™ve checked out of this or gone with the inside handoff. This was likely an RPO read that was misread by Milroe.
  • 2nd play, Milroe doesnā€™t sell the fake on the read and Kennard closes inside instead of staying on Milroe, tackled for a short gain.
  • Shot play doesnā€™t work, but was open, shouldā€™ve gone back to this later in the game. Milroe had 0 spies here, shouldā€™ve also made note of the ability to run here.
  • Saved by a penalty on the punt
  • Penalty on Brenard for ā€œIneligible Downfieldā€ is bogus - He was off the line, bad call eliminates a 20 yard play.
  • 3rd and 9 - Something that happens a few times in this game. South Carolina puts 6 at the line forcing Bamaā€™s block scheme to shuffle inwards. Leaving Kennard completely unblocked, easy sack. I think here you gotta adjust and say the edge should be blocked, if the LB comes, Milroe will have to deal with it.
Defense:
1st possession
  • Great individual play by Justin Jefferson on first play, 2nd play he doesnā€™t cover the RB out of the backfield and they pick-up an easy 12 on a dump off pass that couldā€™ve been easily caught behind the line or for a short gain.
  • 2nd and 6 at 9:40 left in the 1st - Lawson is keyed on the QB run, but still bites on the inside handoff and Sellers gets a free 4 yards before he slides down. Jefferson and the D-line have the run stuffed easily. Donā€™t get sucked inside here and you probably take him down for a loss of 2-3 setting up 3rd and long early in their 1st drive.
  • Great stop on 3rd down, D-line had pressure and didnā€™t let the O-line push them in a direction.
2nd possession
  • Solid defense on 1st play
  • 2nd and 8 they run a misdirection option play and gap discipline isnā€™t there. Campbell tries to fight through a block to get wide, and doesnā€™t trust his over the top defender. They wall him off and get 9 yards
  • Justin Jefferson takes a bad angle in coverage and gives up a big pass play, couldā€™ve been tackled for 3-4 yard gain on 2nd and 8. Follows it up with a perfect play with a 3-4 yard loss on 1st down. (Jekyll and Hyde)
2nd Quarter

Offense:
3rd possession
  • South Carolina still running man coverage with safeties high but there is still plenty of room in the middle of the field here.
  • Good start to drive - two 8 yard gains in a row
  • 2nd and 5 - Tunnel screen needs to be thrown lower. It should never be attempted over a defender here or you just blow the play up and run it. That being said, it was likely a touchdown if itā€™s completed. There was nothing but green grass and blockers ahead of Williams here.
  • 3rd and 5 - Same as before, 6 on LoS and Kennard is left unblocked free to the QB flushes Milroe and they finish him off here as he rolls away from his receivers. In these situations I would definitely put the RB as a checkdown to block pass protection instead of the swing pass here.
4th possession
  • Wheel route has been open all game, we use it for a free 12 yards
  • 2 really good runs in a row to get us past the 50.
  • Jalen Milroe great read and run. - Miller is hit with a targeting but doesnā€™t get reviewed or called.
  • Great possession here, running the ball for a TD
5th possession
  • Safety. Backed up because of penalty, Milroe has to be aware here and throw this ball away early if itā€™s just not going to work. He canā€™t roll that deep and take the sack there.
6th possession
  • QB Draw play to start, seems kinda dumb if youā€™re going to run why not run a power or a read play. 2nd once this play was a negative play for 3-4 yards we shouldā€™ve taken this into the half instead we took a timeout when South Carolina was happy to go into the half. Coaching issues: Clock Management
  • Sacked - 3rd and 20 - Terrible Coaching decision to throw it and it gets picked off. We should be punting or letting the clock run out after that last play. Inexplicably bad use of clock and situational awareness here by the staff. Bad throw by Milroe, this wasnā€™t even going to be a 1st down it was 8 yards shy of the 1st,I donā€™t understand the decision by anyone here.
Defense:
2nd possession Continued
  • 2nd and 14 sack for -7 yards - Good coverage and good pressure.
  • 3rd and 21 - Penalty for Roughing the Passer - 2nd week in a row that someone raises their hands instead of just tackling him in the gut. Gotta teach these guys that once theyā€™re committed to the sack, they shouldnā€™t be raising their hands anymore.
  • 2nd Great Individual play by Domani Jackson
  • 3rd Great Play by Tim Smith and LT Overton, getting pressure and a sack and good call on stunting them here.
  • 4th and 11 - Good defense and coverage, great idea to blitz and force a quicker throw.
3rd possession
  • Ashford in at QB
  • 1st and 15 QB run - Multiple issues here. Russaw lets himself be scooped from the outside. This can never happen as a D-lineman, canā€™t let the outside guy get inside leverage on you here. Mbakwe is slow to respond from the back-end he should be closing down faster here and Campbell after seeing the play does not attack the hole. Instead he squats in a catching position and lets the play come to him 5 yards down the field which results in a big gain.
  • 2nd and 13 (After Holding Call) - Good defense
  • 3rd and 9 - Good pressure, need to get the QB to the ground here, LT overton tackled in the back field here but was uncalled. Didnā€™t end up mattering.
4th possession
  • Bad Tackling takes a run on 2nd and 4 that wouldā€™ve been for no gain and gets a 1st down
  • 1st and 10, nobody covers the RB swing again, thankfully he falls down for a short gain.
  • 2nd and 7, youā€™re calling a 6 man blitz for 5 blockers - You line-up in man press coverage. Instead of pressing you bail out and give free release to the inside. This is something that Georgia and Vandy realized and took advantage of. Easy completion for the first down on the inside slant. Press them and force them outside, donā€™t give up the inside leverage on plays like this. Make the QB make a hard throw to the sidelines instead of giving them 8-10 yards if they run an inside slant. This is a coaching issue, this was executed perfectly, coaches HAVE to fix this, 3 teams in a row using it against us is a pattern.
  • 1st and 2nd later in the drive good job getting pressure and forcing 2 bad plays.
  • 3rd and 8 - Great design and great individual play by Mbakwe, attacking the blockers and slipping behind making a negative play.
  • 4th and 9 - Drop back, only rush 4 again..Sellers is a 20% completion percentage player when faced with blitzes. I donā€™t understand this. Coverage bust, wide open TD throw. Double move slow developing route give him way too much time and you pay for it.
5th possession
  • Fumble recovery by Bama
6th possession
  • FG
3rd Quarter

Offense:
7th possession
  • Positive start to the drive.
  • 2nd and 6 - Run blitz stops us short
  • 3rd and 5 - Great play for 1st down - Fixed the protection this time and covered the outside guys. Good job by the OL coach here.
  • 1st and 10 - Play Action - Throwback screen. Hereā€™s another screen that was not executed correctly. Dippre gets too wide on the catch and ends up past the hash. Proctor canā€™t get to the outside defender who just tackles him for a big loss. If Proctor gets out faster or if Dippre stays tucked inside more so Proctor can block him. Itā€™s a Touchdown here. There was 1 blocker in front and 0 defenders in the picture.
  • 2nd and 17 - Bad read by Milroe here, forced the ball into Bernard, if he hits Jam on the swing pass that gets us at least 10 yards there all the defenders were in zone 10 yards down the field or more and Miller didnā€™t have anyone to account for him.
  • 3rd and 17 - Bad read by Milroe again - Williams was open over the middle for 12-13 yards wouldā€™ve put us in FG range. Instead tried to force an out route to the sidelines to Brenard. He isnā€™t progressing through his reads right here at all. Heā€™s just picking a guy and pre-determining a throw. - PUNT
Defense:
7th possession
  • 2nd and 9 - Campbell and Lawson catch Sanders 3 yards down the field, couldā€™ve plugged the hole and stopped it at the LoS.
  • 3rd and 5 - Obvious missed holding call on South Carolina on the guard here. Shouldā€™ve been 3rd and 15 or a sack really and 4th and long.
  • 1st and 10 further on the drive. Pressure on Sellers - He gets a 1st down by scrambling wide. Latham (For like the 6th or 7th time in the last 3 games) Doesnā€™t hold the edge and lets him escape outside. Couldā€™ve still been a sack if he holds that edge. Still think Latham should not be on the field, heā€™s a liability every time heā€™s out there.
  • 2nd and 7 - Latham makes a good sack here after being swapped sides. Goes inside and gets past him on the blindside.
  • 3rd and 15 - 3 man rush and a wide open soft spot in the zone. Nobody covers #3 over the middle, bad execution here but once againā€¦probably should be blitzing and forcing earlier throws
  • 3rd and 2 - Shovel pass again, not sure how many times this year we will get beat on it but I think itā€™s just a really good call to beat this defense. We might want to adjust though and disguise stuff on 3rd down like we did vs Georgia to confuse the blockers. - TD eventually
8th possession
  • Good defensive possession. Blitzes on 3rd and 5, 2 decent stops on 1st and 2nd and forces early throw short of the line to gain here.
4th Quarter

Offense:
8th possession
  • 1st and 10 run play - Run blitz from South Carolina - Need to throw some play action intermediate throws in here. They are constantly selling out on 1st for run and then pass for 2nd and 3rd. Or a double move here would easily catch them.
  • 2nd and 9 - Great screen play call here by Sheridan, defenders went deep and easy 15 yards.
  • Good Milroe Run on 1st down, picks up the 1st on 2nd but if he hands that to the RB, it might be 6. Needs to trust his reads. They were not crashing down but he just beat the guy to the edge because of his speed.
  • Another good run on first 2nd and 1. Kind of a Roll out shot play, Milroe looked at Odom on the Out but Bernard on the Seam was 6 points all day, nobody within 10 yards of him.
  • 3rd and 1 - Jam Miller good run and blocking
  • 1st and 10 - Big run blitz by south carolina here. Seemed obvious they had 8 guys in the box here but even with that a whiffed block by Cuevas is the real problem. They had it blocked but he missed the edge defender. Wouldā€™ve been 5-6 yards likely. Next play is an INT int he back of the end zone.
  • INT - Milroe stared down Bernard all day, and does it again here. Williams was open on the back side, if he goes through his reads he likely finds 6 points here. Milroe gets rattled by sacks and struggling to complete passes and he starts regressing to staring down targets and making poor decisions. He was baited with the defense here though, it was a underneath robber that was designed to work back to the deep route. The issue is that this guy likely doesnā€™t work backwards if Milroe doesnā€™t stare down Bernard.
9th possession
  • 2nd and 3 - Great job by Milroe calming down and rolling through progression and finding Williams in a very tight window of the secondary. This is a PRO throw here and read of the defense.
  • TD Milroe
10th possession
  • 1st and 10 - QB sprint to the sideline? Not really sure what call this was, South Carolina in a heavy run blitz right now, they didnā€™t even put a guy on one of our receivers here.
  • 2nd and 10 - Terrible offensive protection from the line again. They line Stewart outside of Dippre and instead of sliding outwards they leave Dippre on an Island. Jam Miller gets a chip thankfully and Milroe scrambles and saves the play here.
  • 1st and 10 + 2nd and 6 - Good run play into good play to Ryan Williams for 8 yards.
  • Good few plays to pick up the first. 2:36 left on the clock here. Need to understand the timeout situation here.
  • 2nd and 9 - QB sweep is read and 3rd and 10 coming up. 2 minute timeout
  • 3rd and 10 - Bernard needs to be coached to take a knee at the 1 here, I know itā€™s tough to tell the kids that, but they had the 2 minute timeout to let them know if they have a 1st just take a knee and we can put in Victory formation.
Defense:
9th possession
  • 1st and 10 - Incomplete pass, pass interference penalty on Moore. Needs to take the hand off the hip here, if he just plays the ball itā€™s fine.
  • Fumble Recovery
10th possession
  • 1st and 10. Lawson doesnā€™t trust guys to hold the edge and gets caught stepping outside, huge run for South Carolina 25 yards. Was easily set-up to be a 2-3 yard run here. Latham also gets way too wide making the hole 3-4 yards instead of like 3 feet wide.
  • 1st and 10 - Latham doesnā€™t contain the edge and lets himself be washed inside another 8 yard run.
  • 2nd and 2 - Great play by Mbakwe, cuts in from the opposite side and makes the tackle 1 yard short.
  • 1st and 20 after holding - Swing pass check down, great tackle, great coverage, had some pressure here which forced the earlier throw. Good tackle.
  • 2nd and 18 - Sellers has a terrible throw and seems rattled..
  • 3rd and 18 - Good coverage and a short play. Long FG attempt is missed.
11th possession
  • Not a good start, huge cushion to all receivers only rushing 4 and LBs backed up away to give space.
  • 2nd and 6 a huge hold in the middle of the line here that shouldā€™ve been called. Incomplete pass but backing them up 10 yards here wouldā€™ve been very helpful. It honestly stopped the sack from happening which wouldā€™ve run more clock.
  • 3rd and 6 - Sellers scrambles for a first down. Flag for offsides here is huge because it wasnā€™t offsides and it stopped the cloak and saved them about 15 seconds. Bad call by the referees here.
  • 1st and 10 - Too much time, not enough pressure and playing soft coverage allows for a 15 yard zone completion.
  • Double facemask call gets missed - Bama gets screwed by the refs again (This is becoming a theme for Bama lately)
  • Touchdown throw - Pretty much the picture perfect look for the referee here to throw the flag for OPI here. Clear extension of the arms, Jackson wasnā€™t handfighting either, he was off him but Habor made contact and pushed off to create separation. Great catch, but shouldā€™ve been a penalty.
12th possession
  • Good defensive calls and execution to get the interception here. Saved the game by having him run out of the end zone. I know people say itā€™s supposed to be a touchback. Thatā€™s correct the rules interpret it to be a touchback but with those referees and the way shit has gone, it was smart to run it out and make 100% sure we didnā€™t get a safety call there because it would not be reviewable.

Special Teams
  • Need to stop returning Kickoffs - Should Fair Catch it every time. Henderson has 2 fumbles on 3 returns so far this year and weā€™re very lucky we havenā€™t lost any of those yet. Iā€™ve said it for 2 games straight please stop returning them, we have only ended up with better field position 1 time this season past the 25 yard line the majority have ended up inside the 20 losing field position each time.
  • Onside kicks, we probably shouldā€™nt be putting the TEs on the hands team, Iā€™d rather have some RBs and receivers there. Outz shouldnā€™t be one of the guys who is receiving for sure either.

Alright I reviewed the game-tape - All-22 for the game and put in some information on all the glaring issues and questions I had. It's a breakdown of possessions on offense and defense with some small stuff about Special Teams.

1st Quarter

Offense:
1st possession
  • Great Scripted Start - Moved the ball laterally and found soft spots in zone coverage. Great Drive to start game
2nd possession
  • Negative play on first down, WR screen they had 4 guys in position to defend 2 blockers and 1 WR. Shouldā€™ve checked out of this or gone with the inside handoff. This was likely an RPO read that was misread by Milroe.
  • 2nd play, Milroe doesnā€™t sell the fake on the read and Kennard closes inside instead of staying on Milroe, tackled for a short gain.
  • Shot play doesnā€™t work, but was open, shouldā€™ve gone back to this later in the game. Milroe had 0 spies here, shouldā€™ve also made note of the ability to run here.
  • Penalty on Brenard for ā€œIneligible Downfieldā€ is bogus - He was off the line, bad call eliminates a 20 yard play.
  • 3rd and 9 - Something that happens a few times in this game. South Carolina puts 6 at the line forcing Bamaā€™s block scheme to shuffle inwards. Leaving Kennard completely unblocked, easy sack. I think here you gotta adjust and say the edge should be blocked, if the LB comes, Milroe will have to deal with it.
Defense:
1st possession
  • Great individual play by Justin Jefferson on first play, 2nd play he doesnā€™t cover the RB out of the backfield and they pick-up an easy 12 on a dump off pass that couldā€™ve been easily caught behind the line or for a short gain.
  • 2nd and 6 at 9:40 left in the 1st - Lawson is keyed on the QB run, but still bites on the inside handoff and Sellers gets a free 4 yards before he slides down. Jefferson and the D-line have the run stuffed easily. Donā€™t get sucked inside here and you probably take him down for a loss of 2-3 setting up 3rd and long early in their 1st drive.
  • Great stop on 3rd down, D-line had pressure and didnā€™t let the O-line push them in a direction.
2nd possession
  • 2nd and 8 they run a misdirection option play and gap discipline isnā€™t there. Campbell tries to fight through a block to get wide, and doesnā€™t trust his over the top defender. They wall him off and get 9 yards
  • Justin Jefferson takes a bad angle in coverage and gives up a big pass play, couldā€™ve been tackled for 3-4 yard gain on 2nd and 8. Follows it up with a perfect play with a 3-4 yard loss on 1st down. (Jekyll and Hyde)
2nd Quarter

Offense:
3rd possession
  • South Carolina still running man coverage with safeties high but there is still plenty of room in the middle of the field here.
  • 2nd and 5 - Tunnel screen needs to be thrown lower. It should never be attempted over a defender here or you just blow the play up and run it. That being said, it was likely a touchdown if itā€™s completed. There was nothing but green grass and blockers ahead of Williams here.
  • 3rd and 5 - Same as before, 6 on LoS and Kennard is left unblocked free to the QB flushes Milroe and they finish him off here as he rolls away from his receivers. In these situations I would definitely put the RB as a checkdown to block pass protection instead of the swing pass here.
4th possession
  • Jalen Milroe great read and run. - Miller is hit with a targeting but doesnā€™t get reviewed or called.
5th possession
  • Safety. Backed up because of penalty, Milroe has to be aware here and throw this ball away early if itā€™s just not going to work. He canā€™t roll that deep and take the sack there.
6th possession
  • QB Draw play to start, seems kinda dumb if youā€™re going to run why not run a power or a read play. 2nd once this play was a negative play for 3-4 yards we shouldā€™ve taken this into the half instead we took a timeout when South Carolina was happy to go into the half. Coaching issues: Clock Management
  • Sacked - 3rd and 20 - Terrible Coaching decision to throw it and it gets picked off. We should be punting or letting the clock run out after that last play. Inexplicably bad use of clock and situational awareness here by the staff. Bad throw by Milroe, this wasnā€™t even going to be a 1st down it was 8 yards shy of the 1st,I donā€™t understand the decision by anyone here.
Defense:
2nd possession Continued
  • 3rd and 21 - Penalty for Roughing the Passer - 2nd week in a row that someone raises their hands instead of just tackling him in the gut. Gotta teach these guys that once theyā€™re committed to the sack, they shouldnā€™t be raising their hands anymore.
  • 3rd Great Play by Tim Smith and LT Overton, getting pressure and a sack and good call on stunting them here.
  • 4th and 11 - Good defense and coverage, great idea to blitz and force a quicker throw.
3rd possession
  • Ashford in at QB
  • 1st and 15 QB run - Multiple issues here. Russaw lets himself be scooped from the outside. This can never happen as a D-lineman, canā€™t let the outside guy get inside leverage on you here. Mbakwe is slow to respond from the back-end he should be closing down faster here and Campbell after seeing the play does not attack the hole. Instead he squats in a catching position and lets the play come to him 5 yards down the field which results in a big gain.
  • 3rd and 9 - Good pressure, need to get the QB to the ground here, LT overton tackled in the back field here but was uncalled. Didnā€™t end up mattering.
4th possession
  • Bad Tackling takes a run on 2nd and 4 that wouldā€™ve been for no gain and gets a 1st down
  • 1st and 10, nobody covers the RB swing again, thankfully he falls down for a short gain.
  • 2nd and 7, youā€™re calling a 6 man blitz for 5 blockers - You line-up in man press coverage. Instead of pressing you bail out and give free release to the inside. This is something that Georgia and Vandy realized and took advantage of. Easy completion for the first down on the inside slant. Press them and force them outside, donā€™t give up the inside leverage on plays like this. Make the QB make a hard throw to the sidelines instead of giving them 8-10 yards if they run an inside slant. This is a coaching issue, this was executed perfectly, coaches HAVE to fix this, 3 teams in a row using it against us is a pattern.
  • 1st and 2nd later in the drive good job getting pressure and forcing 2 bad plays.
  • 3rd and 8 - Great design and great individual play by Mbakwe, attacking the blockers and slipping behind making a negative play.
  • 4th and 9 - Drop back, only rush 4 again..Sellers is a 20% completion percentage player when faced with blitzes. I donā€™t understand this. Coverage bust, wide open TD throw. Double move slow developing route give him way too much time and you pay for it.
5th possession
6th possession
  • FG
3rd Quarter

Offense:
7th possession
  • 3rd and 5 - Great play for 1st down - Fixed the protection this time and covered the outside guys. Good job by the OL coach here.
  • 1st and 10 - Play Action - Throwback screen. Hereā€™s another screen that was not executed correctly. Dippre gets too wide on the catch and ends up past the hash. Proctor canā€™t get to the outside defender who just tackles him for a big loss. If Proctor gets out faster or if Dippre stays tucked inside more so Proctor can block him. Itā€™s a Touchdown here. There was 1 blocker in front and 0 defenders in the picture.
  • 2nd and 17 - Bad read by Milroe here, forced the ball into Bernard, if he hits Jam on the swing pass that gets us at least 10 yards there all the defenders were in zone 10 yards down the field or more and Miller didnā€™t have anyone to account for him.
  • 3rd and 17 - Bad read by Milroe again - Williams was open over the middle for 12-13 yards wouldā€™ve put us in FG range. Instead tried to force an out route to the sidelines to Brenard. He isnā€™t progressing through his reads right here at all. Heā€™s just picking a guy and pre-determining a throw. - PUNT
Defense:
7th possession
  • 2nd and 9 - Campbell and Lawson catch Sanders 3 yards down the field, couldā€™ve plugged the hole and stopped it at the LoS.
  • 3rd and 5 - Obvious missed holding call on South Carolina on the guard here. Shouldā€™ve been 3rd and 15 or a sack really and 4th and long.
  • 1st and 10 further on the drive. Pressure on Sellers - He gets a 1st down by scrambling wide. Latham (For like the 6th or 7th time in the last 3 games) Doesnā€™t hold the edge and lets him escape outside. Couldā€™ve still been a sack if he holds that edge. Still think Latham should not be on the field, heā€™s a liability every time heā€™s out there.
  • 2nd and 7 - Latham makes a good sack here after being swapped sides. Goes inside and gets past him on the blindside.
  • 3rd and 15 - 3 man rush and a wide open soft spot in the zone. Nobody covers #3 over the middle, bad execution here but once againā€¦probably should be blitzing and forcing earlier throws
  • 3rd and 2 - Shovel pass again, not sure how many times this year we will get beat on it but I think itā€™s just a really good call to beat this defense. We might want to adjust though and disguise stuff on 3rd down like we did vs Georgia to confuse the blockers. - TD eventually
8th possession
  • Good defensive possession. Blitzes on 3rd and 5, 2 decent stops on 1st and 2nd and forces early throw short of the line to gain here.
4th Quarter

Offense:
8th possession
  • 1st and 10 run play - Run blitz from South Carolina - Need to throw some play action intermediate throws in here. They are constantly selling out on 1st for run and then pass for 2nd and 3rd. Or a double move here would easily catch them.
  • 2nd and 9 - Great screen play call here by Sheridan, defenders went deep and easy 15 yards.
  • Good Milroe Run on 1st down, picks up the 1st on 2nd but if he hands that to the RB, it might be 6. Needs to trust his reads. They were not crashing down but he just beat the guy to the edge because of his speed.
  • Another good run on first 2nd and 1. Kind of a Roll out shot play, Milroe looked at Odom on the Out but Bernard on the Seam was 6 points all day, nobody within 10 yards of him.
  • 1st and 10 - Big run blitz by south carolina here. Seemed obvious they had 8 guys in the box here but even with that a whiffed block by Cuevas is the real problem. They had it blocked but he missed the edge defender. Wouldā€™ve been 5-6 yards likely. Next play is an INT int he back of the end zone.
  • INT - Milroe stared down Bernard all day, and does it again here. Williams was open on the back side, if he goes through his reads he likely finds 6 points here. Milroe gets rattled by sacks and struggling to complete passes and he starts regressing to staring down targets and making poor decisions. He was baited with the defense here though, it was a underneath robber that was designed to work back to the deep route. The issue is that this guy likely doesnā€™t work backwards if Milroe doesnā€™t stare down Bernard.
9th possession
  • 2nd and 3 - Great job by Milroe calming down and rolling through progression and finding Williams in a very tight window of the secondary. This is a PRO throw here and read of the defense.
  • TD Milroe
10th possession
  • 1st and 10 - QB sprint to the sideline? Not really sure what call this was, South Carolina in a heavy run blitz right now, they didnā€™t even put a guy on one of our receivers here.
  • 2nd and 10 - Terrible offensive protection from the line again. They line Stewart outside of Dippre and instead of sliding outwards they leave Dippre on an Island. Jam Miller gets a chip thankfully and Milroe scrambles and saves the play here.
  • 1st and 10 + 2nd and 6 - Good run play into good play to Ryan Williams for 8 yards.
  • Good few plays to pick up the first. 2:36 left on the clock here. Need to understand the timeout situation here.
  • 3rd and 10 - Bernard needs to be coached to take a knee at the 1 here, I know itā€™s tough to tell the kids that, but they had the 2 minute timeout to let them know if they have a 1st just take a knee and we can put in Victory formation.
Defense:
9th possession
  • 1st and 10 - Incomplete pass, pass interference penalty on Moore. Needs to take the hand off the hip here, if he just plays the ball itā€™s fine.
  • Fumble Recovery
10th possession
  • 1st and 10. Lawson doesnā€™t trust guys to hold the edge and gets caught stepping outside, huge run for South Carolina 25 yards. Was easily set-up to be a 2-3 yard run here. Latham also gets way too wide making the hole 3-4 yards instead of like 3 feet wide.
  • 1st and 10 - Latham doesnā€™t contain the edge and lets himself be washed inside another 8 yard run.
  • 2nd and 2 - Great play by Mbakwe, cuts in from the opposite side and makes the tackle 1 yard short.
  • 1st and 20 after holding - Swing pass check down, great tackle, great coverage, had some pressure here which forced the earlier throw. Good tackle.
11th possession
  • Not a good start, huge cushion to all receivers only rushing 4 and LBs backed up away to give space.
  • 2nd and 6 a huge hold in the middle of the line here that shouldā€™ve been called. Incomplete pass but backing them up 10 yards here wouldā€™ve been very helpful. It honestly stopped the sack from happening which wouldā€™ve run more clock.
  • 3rd and 6 - Sellers scrambles for a first down. Flag for offsides here is huge because it wasnā€™t offsides and it stopped the cloak and saved them about 15 seconds. Bad call by the referees here.
  • 1st and 10 - Too much time, not enough pressure and playing soft coverage allows for a 15 yard zone completion.
  • Double facemask call gets missed - Bama gets screwed by the refs again (This is becoming a theme for Bama lately)
  • Touchdown throw - Pretty much the picture perfect look for the referee here to throw the flag for OPI here. Clear extension of the arms, Jackson wasnā€™t handfighting either, he was off him but Habor made contact and pushed off to create separation. Great catch, but shouldā€™ve been a penalty.
12th possession
  • Good defensive calls and execution to get the interception here. Saved the game by having him run out of the end zone. I know people say itā€™s supposed to be a touchback. Thatā€™s correct the rules interpret it to be a touchback but with those referees and the way shit has gone, it was smart to run it out and make 100% sure we didnā€™t get a safety call there because it would not be reviewable.

Special Teams
  • Need to stop returning Kickoffs - Should Fair Catch it every time. Henderson has 2 fumbles on 3 returns so far this year and weā€™re very lucky we havenā€™t lost any of those yet. Iā€™ve said it for 2 games straight please stop returning them, we have only ended up with better field position 1 time this season past the 25 yard line the majority have ended up inside the 20 losing field position each time.
  • Onside kicks, we probably shouldā€™nt be putting the TEs on the hands team, Iā€™d rather have some RBs and receivers there. Outz shouldnā€™t be one of the guys who is receiving for sure either.
Great stuff. Thanks for all the work.

It is going to be so difficult for this defense to have to overcome the play of 0-11-15. That is like the entire 2nd level is playing at a below average level way too often.

Milroe mentally is like a 2-year starter at a 6A level high school.

1st Quarter

Offense:
1st possession
2nd possession
Defense:
1st possession
2nd possession
2nd Quarter

Offense:
3rd possession
4th possession
5th possession
6th possession
Defense:
2nd possession Continued
3rd possession
  • Ashford in at QB
4th possession
5th possession
6th possession
  • FG
3rd Quarter

Offense:
7th possession
Defense:
7th possession
8th possession
4th Quarter

Offense:
8th possession
9th possession
  • TD Milroe
10th possession
Defense:
9th possession
  • Fumble Recovery
10th possession
11th possession
12th possession

Special Teams

Shwew, that's a lot of work right there. Thinks for offering that up, good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom