| FTBL Some great incites revealed on Saban’s radio show.

Good summary of CNS radio show. For me this summary:

Last year’s group had more experience and played fast. He said this year’s team has less “competitive maturity” and it is more challenging to get them to play consistently. The players in 2020 had something to prove after how 2019 ended, Saban noted. Saban said there were six true freshmen who played on the 2017 championship team who came back for a final year in 2020, earning more value in the draft in the process.

This team is just immature but just a thought that we forget about...The 2017 National Champion team has got to be CNS best coaching job. Between changes in coaching, injuries, & then young true freshman (see last quarter of NCG) playing impactful football, that was truly rare.

Good summary of CNS radio show. For me this summary:

Last year’s group had more experience and played fast. He said this year’s team has less “competitive maturity” and it is more challenging to get them to play consistently. The players in 2020 had something to prove after how 2019 ended, Saban noted. Saban said there were six true freshmen who played on the 2017 championship team who came back for a final year in 2020, earning more value in the draft in the process.

This team is just immature but just a thought that we forget about...The 2017 National Champion team has got to be CNS best coaching job. Between changes in coaching, injuries, & then young true freshman (see last quarter of NCG) playing impactful football, that was truly rare.
You think by CNS saying that he doesn't think any of this is an ability issue? I have been assuming it was as much that as competitive maturity. To me the latter is what drives your preparation but the physical maturity well is what it is and only off season and different players will fix that. I guess competitive maturity also impacts the off season program in terms of how hard you work. Either way does not seem like an easy fix that would generate consistency but of course any one game I guess they could play lights out.

You think by CNS saying that he doesn't think any of this is an ability issue? I have been assuming it was as much that as competitive maturity. To me the latter is what drives your preparation but the physical maturity well is what it is and only off season and different players will fix that. I guess competitive maturity also impacts the off season program in terms of how hard you work. Either way does not seem like an easy fix that would generate consistency but of course any one game I guess they could play lights out.

Yes I think that is exactly what he is saying. We all know this team is extremely talented. But there is definitely an immaturity to this team. And in all fairness it should be expected to some degree because the absolutely fantastic team leadership that graduated last year left a BIG hole in this team. I think what we are seeing now was impossible to avoid because of how good the 2020 unit was.

Now, granted that 2020 unit was good because of what they experienced in 2019 (see CNS comments on that). And, frankly, the NON-easy fix, involves this team losing again & missing the playoffs. I truly think that is what it will take & will happen. I don't like it. But failure can be the best teacher. It sure matured that 2020 team for sure. That 2020 team understood that the standards at Alabama are not Championships by default but Championships by mature leadership & doing the little things right.

To me, the defense is performing well in this new age of offense.

The offensive issues stem from two places.

1. RT. That spot is putrid IMO. Not sure how/why we have whiffed and are using Owens… but his “mistakes” screw up a lot of drives.

2. RB. This really should be Trey sanders year to shine sans his accident. That changed the dynamic of the RB rotation for this year.

If we had a dynamic and powerful RB as Trey was starting to show pre-accident and a solid RT… this offense would be as magical as last year.

There are other issues, but that’s normal for every year. The 2 I noted above are the major ones I see that are holding us back.

Yes I think that is exactly what he is saying. We all know this team is extremely talented. But there is definitely an immaturity to this team. And in all fairness it should be expected to some degree because the absolutely fantastic team leadership that graduated last year left a BIG hole in this team. I think what we are seeing now was impossible to avoid because of how good the 2020 unit was.

Now, granted that 2020 unit was good because of what they experienced in 2019 (see CNS comments on that). And, frankly, the NON-easy fix, involves this team losing again & missing the playoffs. I truly think that is what it will take & will happen. I don't like it. But failure can be the best teacher. It sure matured that 2020 team for sure. That 2020 team understood that the standards at Alabama are not Championships by default but Championships by mature leadership & doing the little things right.

I agree. I think next year's team is a National Championship caliber team. We should see growth in every position and a year within the program helping those Freshmen and Sophomores not on the field currently. William Anderson will be a Junior and leader of that defense. Bryce will have a year under his belt and maybe even a Heisman Trophy to his name.

I bought into the pre-season hype narrative from our own boosters that this would be the best defense we've seen in years. It hasn't been, but also the offense has been much better than expected from those same folks. Just think of how good we'd be if we had a Right Tackle. The defense is finally showing it's ability, albeit against inferior opponents, but you can only dominate who is in front of you, and I'm glad to see that because it wasn't the case early in the season. We still have a puncher's chance this year because we are so talented, but I feel next year we have absolutely no excuses to go undefeated with our weaker schedule and win the National Championship.

1. RT. That spot is putrid IMO. Not sure how/why we have whiffed and are using Owens… but his “mistakes” screw up a lot of drives.

2. RB. This really should be Trey sanders year to shine sans his accident. That changed the dynamic of the RB rotation for this year.

If we had a dynamic and powerful RB as Trey was starting to show pre-accident and a solid RT… this offense would be as magical as last year.

There are other issues, but that’s normal for every year. The 2 I noted above are the major ones I see that are holding us back.
I agree with everything except that a pre-accident Trey and a great RT would make this offense as magical as last year’s. Bama would also need another dynamic receiver and a QB who can hit the over 20 yard passes more consistently. Young has the talent, just not the experience. Plus, last season, the receivers didn’t drop passes left and right. At least that’s my two cents.

1. I can see where you are coming from with that.
2> not sure if it makes sense. Robinson has done well this year. The issue is with OL and Robinson missing Key blocks. If Sanders played, he was gonna whiff on blocks as well. not sure if it matters whos back there. We lost Jase... and he was real good at blocking.

2> not sure if it makes sense. Robinson has done well this year. The issue is with OL and Robinson missing Key blocks. If Sanders played, he was gonna whiff on blocks as well. not sure if it matters whos back there. We lost Jase... and he was real good at blocking.
The point was IF the accident never happened, Trey would be in his third year now and would have developed a lot more then where he is today. He was looking really good his 2nd year before the accident and I believe would have taken over the rains from Najee much more so than Robinson... not that Robinson is bad, but he's not what Sanders was projected to be nor what Najee was. IE, the drop off from Najee to Robinson is a lot larger than what I would have expected/forecasted the drop off to be between Najee and a no-accident-Trey. That's just speculation for sure, but it does have some grounds to be believable.

Sanders in no world was going to start over Robinson this year, injury or not.

Robinson has one of, if not the highest broken tackle rate in the SEC. He is playing really well. The only thing he can't do (and no RB I've ever seen can) is catch passes like a WR like Najee. That opened up tons in the offensive gameplan.

Sanders should've been 2nd string this year and a very explosive complement to BRob if not for the injury. As it is, he's probably just about back to 100% and can run well, but hasn't been reliable in pass pro yet. And with this line and a young QB, that's not a recipe for playing time.

@mando I’d probably say it isn’t a “quick fix”. It’s one of those things that takes time. We can’t replace all of those experienced guys from last year and think it’s just a plug and place kind of deal. Those freshmen on that ‘17 title team were more exception rather than rule. CNS has spoiled us though in that thinking.
To go back and look at the '17 class is amazing. They hit on almost everyone

Winning is also a habit. I see the team anticipation of a win without a sticking to plan to win. They are more reactive to what happens. That is why they look unorganized.

incite - verb
  1. encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).
    "the offense of inciting racial hatred"

Insight - noun
    1. the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing.
      "this paper is alive with sympathetic insight into Shakespeare"
My bad!!! That’s so embarrassing!!!

Back
Top Bottom