| FTBL Should Bama Players Be Prohibited From Visiting Casinos?

  • Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date

Should Bama Players Be Prohibited From Visiting Casinos In Shreveport?

  • Only Before The Game Is Played

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, If they are old enough to gamble, they are old enough to make their own decisions

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    236

W8LIFTR

Verified Member
Sideline Club
I think that its okay since they have done all the work up til their arrival anyway.. Like CJK said they are not trying to re-invent the wheel at that point just going through walk throughs.. I think theses guys have been through enough in their four years to earn the right to have a little fun.
 
C

CrimsonPirate

Thread Starter
Whether or not it's okay for a 21 year old to gamble, I think the perception, especially the perception presented in the article, is that Alabama players have been turned loose while the OSU players are on a tight rein. The article makes it sound like our guys are "drinkin' and gamblin' and raisin' hell" while the Cowboys are behaving themselves as representatives of their university should. We fired Mike Price for conduct unbecoming the head coach of the University of Alabama, but we're gonna let our players drink and gamble? Sure is a different day than when Coach Bryant was in charge.

Let me reiterate. There is nothing legally wrong with letting the older players have a little fun at the casinos, but public perception could do damage to Alabama's image.
 

lakemann

Registered
I have been here from Saturday and the team has been busy. I am at Sam's Town (Team hotel) and have not seen a single one of them drinking or in the casino. They may have gone somewhere else but they have not been doing it here. Most have had family here and have been with them when not doing things required. They are representing the University just fine.
 

kudzu

<img class="alignleft" src="http://www.rolltidebam
Century Club
I agree with CP on this. They are there for a reason. To win a bowl game for themselves , their team mates and their university. That is the first order of buisness. It should have everyones 110% focus and energy.
I'm not against them having a little fun but take care of priority number one first. If that means skipping the casinos then so be it. We all know how easy it is to do nothing and get in trouble. Bama doesn't need any more minor incidents. Not saying the guys would be unresposible but that's how sh!t happens.
 

ROLL TIDE FOREVER AMEN

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Considering the fact that over 3/4ths of our team is under the legal age anyway, I can only conclude that it is a small minority of players any way. But if two of those legal aged players spent a few hours in the Casino and had a few cocktails.... the media can say that "Alabama Players" (plural) are out partying it up in the casinos and not they wouldn't be reporting false statements per say. I don't read to much in to this; I mean its not like the media to over-hype an otherwise benign situation. :roll:
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
This is a meaningless bowl game. Bowl games other than the BCS Champ game are supposedly rewards for the players. The players should be allowed to go out and have a little fun, and what the hell else are they going to do in Shreveport? As long as they are not out showing they're butts and staying out all night, what is the problem? Now tonight, they should be at the hotel resting and getting ready for the game. The report says it was Christmas eve when they were seen. I don't see that as any type of problem.
 

AndyBama

Registered
I emphatically say, "YES!!!"

If we are out there living it up and not focusing on the task at hand, the 'Pokes will embarrass us. This program desperately needs some good news right now... even if it is a one point win in the Independence Bowl.
 
C

CrimsonPirate

Thread Starter
I don't have a problem with our guys having a little fun. The media, though, tends to blow everything up to be bigger than it is. And, when it comes to Bama . . . well, you know the bad press we've been getting.

From the article:
Alabama football players in town for the Independence Bowl didn’t waste time getting into one of the prime attractions in Shreveport: Casinos.

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has prohibited his team from visiting the gambling halls. But The Oklahoman newspaper reported Tuesday that some Crimson Tide players spent Christmas Eve in casinos after arriving for the game.

The newspaper said Alabama players age 21 and older were seen ordering alcoholic drinks and betting at blackjack, roulette and poker tables.

This kinda makes it sound like our guys are a bunch of undisciplined party animals while OSU's are as pure as the driven snow. Maybe it's nothing, but we don't need any more bad publicity. If CJK wants to let 'em blow off a little steam after the game, okay. But, keep a lid on it.
 
G

Guest

Thread Starter
Bama Bo said:
This is a meaningless bowl game. Bowl games other than the BCS Champ game are supposedly rewards for the players. The players should be allowed to go out and have a little fun, and what the hell else are they going to do in Shreveport? As long as they are not out showing they're butts and staying out all night, what is the problem? Now tonight, they should be at the hotel resting and getting ready for the game. The report says it was Christmas eve when they were seen. I don't see that as any type of problem.


I agree and Im a huge stickler for discipline. 8)
 

rammajamma

Verified Member
Century Club
Kind of reminds me of the 1990 Sugar Bowl. Bill Curry was the coach and lets the team roam Borbon Street and we get beat by Thug U. Fast forward to 1992, Gene Stallings makes a deal with the team to stay out of the bars and keep their mind on the game and they can have fun after the fact. They did, he let them have fun, we wind up with a player taking money from a agent.... Well anyway team discipline is crucial during bowl games no matter what IMO. Ask yourself WWBD? What would Bear do? I guarantee you if you don't know the answer to that then you don't know Coach Bryant very well.
 
C

CrimsonPirate

Thread Starter
rammajamma said:
Kind of reminds me of the 1990 Sugar Bowl. Bill Curry was the coach and lets the team roam Borbon Street and we get beat by Thug U. Fast forward to 1992, Gene Stallings makes a deal with the team to stay out of the bars and keep their mind on the game and they can have fun after the fact. They did, he let them have fun, we wind up with a player taking money from a agent.... Well anyway team discipline is crucial during bowl games no matter what IMO. Ask yourself WWBD? What would Bear do? I guarantee you if you don't know the answer to that then you don't know Coach Bryant very well.

Ain't that the truth! Ask Joe Namath what Coach Bryant would do.
 

shipley00

Century Club
CrimsonPirate said:
Whether or not it's okay for a 21 year old to gamble, I think the perception, especially the perception presented in the article, is that Alabama players have been turned loose while the OSU players are on a tight rein. The article makes it sound like our guys are "drinkin' and gamblin' and raisin' hell" while the Cowboys are behaving themselves as representatives of their university should. We fired Mike Price for conduct unbecoming the head coach of the University of Alabama, but we're gonna let our players drink and gamble? Sure is a different day than when Coach Bryant was in charge.

Let me reiterate. There is nothing legally wrong with letting the older players have a little fun at the casinos, but public perception could do damage to Alabama's image.

Let's put it this way. From what you've seen over the last few years, Would you do ANYTHING that would tick off Kines? I sure as He!! wouldn't. Discipline is not a concern for me at the moment.
 
C

CrimsonPirate

Thread Starter
shipley00 said:
CrimsonPirate said:
Whether or not it's okay for a 21 year old to gamble, I think the perception, especially the perception presented in the article, is that Alabama players have been turned loose while the OSU players are on a tight rein. The article makes it sound like our guys are "drinkin' and gamblin' and raisin' hell" while the Cowboys are behaving themselves as representatives of their university should. We fired Mike Price for conduct unbecoming the head coach of the University of Alabama, but we're gonna let our players drink and gamble? Sure is a different day than when Coach Bryant was in charge.

Let me reiterate. There is nothing legally wrong with letting the older players have a little fun at the casinos, but public perception could do damage to Alabama's image.

Let's put it this way. From what you've seen over the last few years, Would you do ANYTHING that would tick off Kines? I sure as He!! wouldn't. Discipline is not a concern for me at the moment.

Good point. Ol' Joe is a no-nonsense kinda guy. I was just a little concerned about how the media was gonna play all this up. You know the media (and I work for a paper. Non-news, of course). :roll:
 

W8LIFTR

Verified Member
Sideline Club
In a related article CJK took a dump at 8 pm... Good grief they act like kids are not allowed to have any fun.. And then to top it off they wanna portray BAMA as a bunch of wild casino gamblers.. Heck half of these kids probably havent ever even been too one..
 
Top Bottom