| FTBL Serious questions from a Dolphins fan.

lol @ Auburn fans putting Nick Saban on the hot seat.

Anyone that says we want him gone are beyond retardation. :roll:

LOL @ Miami. That is all.

The author of the article PT posted might have more credibility if he'd get his words in an order than makes sense.

He said:
It has been fascinating to watch Saban since his arrival at Alabama, because never has a more desperate school for wins ever been paired with a man . . .

It should be "because never has a school more desperate for wins ever been paired with a man . . ."

But then, I'm being picky. :roll:

I'm chiming in late I know but there was one comment I wanted to say something on. That was the one about the Miami Dolphins being a far better job than any college job. I have to strongly disagree with that statement. Saying that is assuming that all sports fans and athletes and coaches think alike, which isn't the case. I feel like a lot of that is perpetuated by the media (predominantly those in major metro areas) that consider the pros to be the be all, end all of a coaching career. They perpetuate this partly becuase many of them have lousy college athletics programs so the pro game is in their eyes the ultimate.

I've grown up watching and playing football and I know many other people that feel the same way I do; I would watch a college game every day and twice on Sunday, if given the option, before ever watching an NFL game. The NFL is a watered-down, copy-cat league in my opinion where you can watch one game and essentially watch them all. They're all the same with no variety IMHO. While in college you get the variety of watching a spread option attack or a pro-set or even a wishbone. That's far more exciting to me than watching the same ol same ol on Sundays. The only exciting thing about the NFL in my opinion is when you get a team that has a dynamic offense and is innovative i.e. the Pats, the Colts or the Rams teams from a few years ago. Other than that it's the same old 3 yard run, play-action pass, 1 yard run over and over and over again all day long.

As far as the pros being the pinnecle, I think it depends on the coach's opinion. I would wager that while guys like Saban want to take a stab at the NFL to measure themselves they seem to enjoy the college game with the tradition and atmosphere that goes along with it far more than the pro game. Saban strikes me as one of those coaches that truly enjoys molding young men and preparing them for life beyond college. You can't do that in the NFL.

porkchop said:
I'm chiming in late I know but there was one comment I wanted to say something on. That was the one about the Miami Dolphins being a far better job than any college job. I have to strongly disagree with that statement. Saying that is assuming that all sports fans and athletes and coaches think alike, which isn't the case. I feel like a lot of that is perpetuated by the media (predominantly those in major metro areas) that consider the pros to be the be all, end all of a coaching career. They perpetuate this partly becuase many of them have lousy college athletics programs so the pro game is in their eyes the ultimate.

I've grown up watching and playing football and I know many other people that feel the same way I do; I would watch a college game every day and twice on Sunday, if given the option, before ever watching an NFL game. The NFL is a watered-down, copy-cat league in my opinion where you can watch one game and essentially watch them all. They're all the same with no variety IMHO. While in college you get the variety of watching a spread option attack or a pro-set or even a wishbone. That's far more exciting to me than watching the same ol same ol on Sundays. The only exciting thing about the NFL in my opinion is when you get a team that has a dynamic offense and is innovative i.e. the Pats, the Colts or the Rams teams from a few years ago. Other than that it's the same old 3 yard run, play-action pass, 1 yard run over and over and over again all day long.

As far as the pros being the pinnecle, I think it depends on the coach's opinion. I would wager that while guys like Saban want to take a stab at the NFL to measure themselves they seem to enjoy the college game with the tradition and atmosphere that goes along with it far more than the pro game. Saban strikes me as one of those coaches that truly enjoys molding young men and preparing them for life beyond college. You can't do that in the NFL.

Solid post. I remember a situation in his first year at Miami when he was trying to instruct one of their DB's and the DB told him "They are paying me this many millions because of what I have been doing." When I heard about that I didn't expect him to be in the NFL that long.

Yeah, I have heard similar stories. It's hard to be a coach in the NFL if you have a personality like Saban when the players make more money than you. I mean, what can you really say? What can you do? Nothing. And the owners only care about the bottom line. If there is a bad apple in the bunch that has no effect on the owner unless it effects the bottom line. The coach has little real power unless he happens to be coaching a team of solid, law-abiding, pillars of the community which isn't normally the case.

There are even ownership issues with certain pro teams that make their coaching jobs undesirable. The Falcons under Rankin Smith and the Cardinals when the Bidwell family owned them were a graveyard for coaches because of meddling owners.

Saban was not the first coach to come back to the college ranks, as South Carolina can attest.

I am with Chop 100% on the issue of watching college games versus pro games. NFL offenses and defenses are all pretty much the same thing. I rarely watch an NFL game unless a former Bama player is involved.

Let us remember that Florida is the only state with it's own FARK tag.

Please, come on now. Is anyone else tired of hearing Miami b%^$# about Saban leaving?

Miami, have one on me.

absolut_stfu.png

psychojoe said:
Saban was not the first coach to come back to the college ranks, as South Carolina can attest.
I seem to remember a another Dolphin coach that left Miami to go to the college ranks. Does Dave Wannstedt at Pitt ring a bell? He left the Fins for college; Saban left the Fins for college. Hmmmm. That speaks volumes to me.

Back
Top Bottom