| FTBL SEC schools have spent $178 million on HC buyouts since 2007

There was some discussion of doing a plaza a few years ago, but it got nixed. Wish it would go back on the table. If done correctly, it would be a really cool area, IMO.

It won't happen. Making football the centerpoint of campus - over academics - diverts the school from its mission. Yes, football has done a lot for the school, but it's still a institute of higher learning.

Pulling the captains' blocks up runs the risk of damage. Many of those people are no longer with us. The blocks are irreplaceable.

A Mal Moore statue would be great in front of the Mal Moore building.

And a plaza is already in front of Bryant-Denny. There's lots of room for expansion to the opposite side of the coaches statues. They could build a nice wall to house all the plaques. They've run out of room on the walkway (especially with them having to take a few of them up for the tunnel), so they need to come up with something. And it wouldn't be taking away anything from academics. It'd just be in a spot that's already there and already has items showcasing the history of the program.

They're

And a plaza is already in front of Bryant-Denny. There's lots of room for expansion to the opposite side of the coaches statues. They could build a nice wall to house all the plaques. They've run out of room on the walkway (especially with them having to take a few of them up for the tunnel), so they need to come up with something. And it wouldn't be taking away anything from academics. It'd just be in a spot that's already there and already has items showcasing the history of the program.

They're

I bet sooner or later, something similar happens... down the line after the Coleman rebuild and such... That area you pointed out was the area that was originally earmarked for the plan, and IMO, would be a perfect spot.

I bet sooner or later, something similar happens... down the line after the Coleman rebuild and such... That area you pointed out was the area that was originally earmarked for the plan, and IMO, would be a perfect spot.

I would like to see something that is part Parthenon and part Mayan Temple with all of the statues lining each side and then culminating at the far end with a wall that has all the significant awards, achievements etc displayed in a chronological history.

yeah I know it ain’t gonna happen but that would be my “dream”

I would like to see something that is part Parthenon and part Mayan Temple with all of the statues lining each side and then culminating at the far end with a wall that has all the significant awards, achievements etc displayed in a chronological history.

yeah I know it ain’t gonna happen but that would be my “dream”

And a volcano fountain in the middle that erupts real crimson dyed lava after every touchdown.

They're

You may think a wall would look nice, but it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen. A hundred yards away from the proposed wall is The Strip. I’m sure that there are usually several students that enjoy themselves on The Strip and walk (since they are responsible citizens and won’t drink and drive) past the stadium on their way back to their residence. What do drunk people do? Stupid stuff. Like climb a wall they shouldn’t be climbing. Why didn’t the university do something to prevent little Johnny from climbing on the wall? The other walls in the plaza (near the statues) are low to prevent injuries.

Plus, it gives the Harvey Updykes of the world a target. Some of the statues have already been targeted (nothing major, yet).

And a volcano fountain in the middle that erupts real crimson dyed lava after every touchdown.

tenor.gif

You may think a wall would look nice, but it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen. A hundred yards away from the proposed wall is The Strip. I’m sure that there are usually several students that enjoy themselves on The Strip and walk (since they are responsible citizens and won’t drink and drive) past the stadium on their way back to their residence. What do drunk people do? Stupid stuff. Like climb a wall they shouldn’t be climbing. Why didn’t the university do something to prevent little Johnny from climbing on the wall? The other walls in the plaza (near the statues) are low to prevent injuries.

Plus, it gives the Harvey Updykes of the world a target. Some of the statues have already been targeted (nothing major, yet).

What if a fan, drunk or sober, decides to climb up on the edge of the upper deck in the stadium and then falls to their death? Who's at fault? The idiot climbing up on the edge or the University for not making it impossible for them to do so?
What if someone, drunk or sober, decides to try and climb one of the thousands of trees on campus, but then falls out and breaks a limb...or their neck? Who's at fault? The idiot for climbing the trees or the University for having trees on their property?
What if one of the many convenience stores gets robbed and the clerk gets shot? Who's at fault? The robber/shooter or the University for allowing it to happen by having a target for robbers on their property?

Drunk people do stupid shit all the time. Hell, sober people do stupid shit all the time. You can't appease everyone and you can't keep everyone safe. It's just not possible. And you can't live in fear that someone will get hurt. Someone will always get hurt.

If someone trespasses on my property and decides to climb one of my trees and they fall and get seriously hurt, who's fault is it? Is it theirs since they were trespassing in the first place? Or is it mine for having trees on my own property.

What if a fan, drunk or sober, decides to climb up on the edge of the upper deck in the stadium and then falls to their death? Who's at fault? The idiot climbing up on the edge or the University for not making it impossible for them to do so?
What if someone, drunk or sober, decides to try and climb one of the thousands of trees on campus, but then falls out and breaks a limb...or their neck? Who's at fault? The idiot for climbing the trees or the University for having trees on their property?
What if one of the many convenience stores gets robbed and the clerk gets shot? Who's at fault? The robber/shooter or the University for allowing it to happen by having a target for robbers on their property?

Drunk people do stupid shit all the time. Hell, sober people do stupid shit all the time. You can't appease everyone and you can't keep everyone safe. It's just not possible. And you can't live in fear that someone will get hurt. Someone will always get hurt.

If someone trespasses on my property and decides to climb one of my trees and they fall and get seriously hurt, who's fault is it? Is it theirs since they were trespassing in the first place? Or is it mine for having trees on my own property.

It's an issue of minimizing risk. How many trees on campus have low branches (that would allow someone to climb the tree)? No, you can't prevent everything, but you can minimize the opportunities.

It's an issue of minimizing risk. How many trees on campus have low branches (that would allow someone to climb the tree)? No, you can't prevent everything, but you can minimize the opportunities.
The plaques could be pulled, stacked say four or five high, and be safely persevered. (insert Six Million Dollar Man music "We have the technology.")

I like Brandon's idea along the lines of something similar to the Sarah Patterson Champions Plaza.

Back
Top Bottom