| FTBL SEC championship student tickets

MDBtrumpet04

Verified Member
I swiped my student ID card for tickets thinking I was getting tickets for sure with me being a senior. That was not the case. Here are the calculations:

A lottery was taken and tickets given to students based on hours. 15,900 were given to UA to sale to its fans.

631 (students getting tickets) / 27,052 (ua enrollment) = 0.0233254473

2.3% of students got tickets
97.7% denied rights to tickets

1262 (total tickets given to students) / 15,900 (ua ticket amount) = 0.0793710692

7.9% tickets given to students
92.1% given to non students

Now I'm sorry folks, but that is just unfair. I hope there is a huge uproar about this, which I'm sure there will be, and more students will be getting tickets. Last time I checked, this is a University supported by students' tuition. Without students, there is no Alabama football.

People can complain all they want to about the student section at home games but I cant see how people can argue against this. It is ridiculous that such few students will be able to go to Atlanta.

How many alumni are alive? 130M? 150?

I think the higher number, but lets go with the lower number.

So ~1200/~130000 = 0.92%.

Seems the current students have a better than 8:1 chance of getting a SECCG ticket than an alum. And if we factor in general fans who contribute to Tide Pride or buy tickets when they can (and have been doing so for many years in some cases) those odds are even higher than us 'fortunate ones.'

Wait and see if any student tickets show up on eBay before you complain too much. MANY of the students that go through the lottery do so with the intent of re-selling the ticket if they get one.

To me, that is a far bigger concern than having a lottery in the first place.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
anybody know the percentage of tide pride that is/isnt getting tickets (I know its got to be high)

I'm in Tide Pride and didn't get tickets. I'm below 250 points and I think students should get tickets way before I should. I at least have the means to buy a ticket if I was able to go (meaning I have a job).
RTR

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Are you not in the band MDB? If so you already have a ticket :?

I believe he put the band aside to concentrate on his last year in college.

Student tickets have always been a problem. I can't see it changing any time soon, espcially with big championship games. :?

im in Tide Pride and didnt get them either.....

1999 they sold championship tickets to students on a first come first serve basis.....I camped out from 5 o'clock the afternoon before they went on sale only to be turned away 4 people from the door.I dont at all feel sorry for the students that simply walked in to swipe their card to find out whether they got tickets or not....

You can partially thank me for not having to camp out (Finus Gaston got more than an earful from me over this scenario)

flying Elephant said:
I'm in Tide Pride and didn't get tickets. I'm below 250 points and I think students should get tickets way before I should. I at least have the means to buy a ticket if I was able to go (meaning I have a job).
RTR

Down here, you have to have 465 points to even qualify to buy tickets from the UF allotment. We get 1 point per $100 contribution, and 5 points per consecutive years contributing (not sure how Tide Pride works). So, that means unless you have contributed over $46,000 dollars over time you are out of luck. Pretty much means unless you are a Bull Gator your chances are not very good.

I will get two from UF (mostly because our firm buys a block of club level seats) and four directly from the SEC (bought four for the first game in 1992 and have renewed every year). I strongly suggest you contact the SEC and get on the waiting list for those that do not renew (few that there is). Even the years when UF and/or UA have not made the game, I have had ZERO trouble unloading my four - and for a substantial profit too.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Are you not in the band MDB? If so you already have a ticket :?

If I was in band, I would not have too much to gripe about. My band days are over. I am now just your everyday student. I have respect for the Tide Pride members and have no complaints with them, its the athletic dept. that I have a problem with. 15,000 given to the university and only 1,200 allotment for students is not fair.

circledrill said:
Wait and see if any student tickets show up on eBay before you complain too much. MANY of the students that go through the lottery do so with the intent of re-selling the ticket if they get one.

People are going to charge at an unreasonable price for students like me who could pay rent for the price of one ticket. I can tell you for a fact that 5% of the 630 students selected will go to the game. They are all grad and law students who could care less about the football game.

MDBtrumpet04 said:
circledrill said:

People are going to charge at an unreasonable price for students like me who could pay rent for the price of one ticket. I can tell you for a fact that 5% of the 630 students selected will go to the game. They are all grad and law students who could care less about the football game.
The Law School has exams that week too. I doubt we will see too many of them at the game.

rammerjammer said:
I'm in the same boat as Lenny and Flying E......not enough points to buy SECCG tickets. :?

Guess I'll just have to hunt that day and watch the game that night.

Better not hunt too long, the game is an afternoon start this year. Either 0300p or 0400p EST.

MDBtrumpet04 said:
I have respect for the Tide Pride members and have no complaints with them, its the athletic dept. that I have a problem with. 15,000 given to the university and only 1,200 allotment for students is not fair.

As I demonstrated above, the odds of a student getting a ticket, per your numbers, are far greater than an alum of UA. By something around 800% greater.

What about the allocation is 'unfair' to the students given such a probability advantage?

Your problem should be with the students that you presuppose will buy the tickets ONLY to re-sell at a profit. But still, what is wrong with them doing so if they wish? Afterall, some/many/all of them might be 'poor college students' living on a limited budget too and actually need the money to pay their rent or bills.

alagator said:
MDBtrumpet04 said:
I have respect for the Tide Pride members and have no complaints with them, its the athletic dept. that I have a problem with. 15,000 given to the university and only 1,200 allotment for students is not fair.

As I demonstrated above, the odds of a student getting a ticket, per your numbers, are far greater than an alum of UA. By something around 800% greater.

What about the allocation is 'unfair' to the students given such a probability advantage?

Your problem should be with the students that you presuppose will buy the tickets ONLY to re-sell at a profit. But still, what is wrong with them doing so if they wish? Afterall, some/many/all of them might be 'poor college students' living on a limited budget too and actually need the money to pay their rent or bills.

Oh well, capitalism at an early start. I'd love to go to ATL, but I have about 3 years behind some of the recipients. :lol:

Just some thoughts on this...

If I understand correctly, each school had to set some of their "student tickets" aside for their bands. It would have been nice if the SECCG would have provided extra tickets for the bands, that would have freed up quite a few for the regular students. I don't see where allowing each student to purchase 2 tickets each is necessary. If they are not willing to go and sit by themselves for 3.5 hours (surrounded by their peers), then they probably are not very hard core about it in the first place. Lastly, I think it would be a good idea if students had to show their student ID to get into the game... obviously that is tougher to do in a SECCG setting, as opposed to a home game, but certainly not impossible to set up, and it would cut down on those selling their tickets on ebay.

For those that know, is it true that all SEC schools are guaranteed a small number of tickets to the game, then the rest go to Corporations/Sponsors, and also sold to the public though the SEC?

It would be nice if 90% of the tickets were split between the two schools instead, but I guess that is a pipe dream in today's world.

alagator said:

I do have a problem with students re-selling tickets, it's more of an ethical thing however with selling tickets well beyond face value. I would love for the students to buy the tickets intending to go to the game and having a good time and I would not be AS upset, but I know grad and law students are buying them only for a profit. I was going to purchase my tickets to go to the game and get my buddy to buy the other ticket from me for face value.[/b]

There are always tickets on the streets of Atlanta! Also check other SEC team message boards for fans unloading their tickets! This ticket was easier for me to get than the Clemson game.

The 4pm time is an odd start though. :?

Back
Top Bottom