| FTBL Sark's Scrimmage This Weekend Produced a LOT of Problems

bama alum

Maybe the worst weekend in a long time in any fall camp for the Texas football program in terms of injury news …
As the result of one scrimmage the Texas Longhorns lost to injury:

• Senior running back Roschon Johnson
  • Redshirt Senior offensive lineman Junior Angilau
  • Redshirt Sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Neyor
  • Junior defensive lineman/edge rusher Alfred Collins
  • Junior defensive back Jahdae Barron
Some of the Texas players may be out for the season. None of them are projected to return for the Alabama game.
Steve Sarkisian has another problem. So far, quarterback, Quinn Ewers has been unimpressive. He was thought to be one of the best young, QBs in the nation in the coming season. As rated by Athlon, among the 131 FBS quarterbacks, Ewers was No. 29. It now appears Ewers will be unable to win the starting job over Hudson Card for the Texas opener against ULM.

With this game being so early in the year, I wonder what the game plan will be. I know CNS always harps about not discussing the heat, or how hot it is during camp. Also, do not show any sign of weakness to your opponent.

I do think the heat is a factor and like everything else, CNS will have a plan. I'm excited to see how this team develops. With Gibbs at RB and Burton and Harrell transferring in to help at WR. I think if our O line can come together.......we will be extremely balanced and difficult to defend. With as much talent returning on D.......this team as the potential to be dominant just about unstoppable. We just need the injury god's to smile on us.

The heat, especially on artificial turf, will be brutal. Players will need to hydrate excessively during the week before, and during, the game. Expect to see a lot of substitutions, especially on the OL and DL. The quality and depth of substitutions will decide the game.

The Quinn Ewers story should be a cautionary tale for the NIL promoters. He was so guaranteed, sure-fire, can't miss coming out of high school that he was immediately offered a million dollar NIL deal before he ever stepped on the field. Now, having transferred, he is struggling to unseat a returning starter that Texas was hoping wouldn't win the job back. In Alabama history I would say he is comparable to Blake Barnett. Lots of talent, lofty expectations, but just couldn't put it together at the next level. Imagine if Long Lewis Ford or someone had given Blake a million dollars to come to Bama and then he never saw the field. That's the downside of the NIL madness.

As the result of one scrimmage the Texas Longhorns lost to injury:

• Senior running back Roschon Johnson
  • Redshirt Senior offensive lineman Junior Angilau
  • Redshirt Sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Neyor
  • Junior defensive lineman/edge rusher Alfred Collins
  • Junior defensive back Jahdae Barron
Some of the Texas players may be out for the season. None of them are projected to return for the Alabama game.
Steve Sarkisian has another problem. So far, quarterback, Quinn Ewers has been unimpressive. He was thought to be one of the best young, QBs in the nation in the coming season. As rated by Athlon, among the 131 FBS quarterbacks, Ewers was No. 29. It now appears Ewers will be unable to win the starting job over Hudson Card for the Texas opener against ULM.
ESPN has both of the Texas QBs ranked in a group of six behind their top 19.

Tier 5: So hot right now (six players, five jobs)​

Texas' Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card
Baylor's Blake Shapen
Florida's Anthony Richardson
Ole Miss' Jaxson Dart
Washington State's Cameron Ward

Then there's the battle at Texas, which features one of the highest-profile recruits in recent years (Ewers) and the guy who started the Longhorns' opener last year before going down with an injury (Card). Both have tremendous upside, and both will surely be at the forefront of a truly astounding number of "Texas is back" jokes before the 2022 season ends (with a loss to Indiana in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl).

With this game being so early in the year, I wonder what the game plan will be. I know CNS always harps about not discussing the heat, or how hot it is during camp. Also, do not show any sign of weakness to your opponent.

I do think the heat is a factor and like everything else, CNS will have a plan. I'm excited to see how this team develops. With Gibbs at RB and Burton and Harrell transferring in to help at WR. I think if our O line can come together.......we will be extremely balanced and difficult to defend. With as much talent returning on D.......this team as the potential to be dominant just about unstoppable. We just need the injury god's to smile on us.

I don't think the heat will affect us like everyone is talking. I honestly think we get ahead enough and the starters only play 3 quarters for the sake of resting and making sure we don't overheat our stars.

The heat, especially on artificial turf, will be brutal. Players will need to hydrate excessively during the week before, and during, the game. Expect to see a lot of substitutions, especially on the OL and DL. The quality and depth of substitutions will decide the game.

You played at this level, so I'd like your opinion. When we sub linemen, them boys look to be exerting more energy hauling butt to get off the field, than if they stood there and waited for the next play. Is it not more tiring running 30-50 yards to get off the field in between plays, especially the late substitutions?

You played at this level, so I'd like your opinion. When we sub linemen, them boys look to be exerting more energy hauling butt to get off the field, than if they stood there and waited for the next play. Is it not more tiring running 30-50 yards to get off the field in between plays, especially the late substitutions?
If you’re coming off, you’re coming off for more than one play (mostly). The run off is mostly legs where a play involves upper and lower body effort. The player(s) coming on try to get the attention of who they’re replacing ASAP so that it’s not a sprint. Sometimes the players coming on are a package that the coaches need to call out as soon as they know the down and distance of the next play (likely passing vs likely running play). The game more recently allows for substitutions (if team A subs, team B is allowed to sub).

These situations are practiced all week. The scrimmages held last weekend and next weekend also work on substitutions in a game environment.

If you’re coming off, you’re coming off for more than one play (mostly). The run off is mostly legs where a play involves upper and lower body effort. The player(s) coming on try to get the attention of who they’re replacing ASAP so that it’s not a sprint. Sometimes the players coming on are a package that the coaches need to call out as soon as they know the down and distance of the next play (likely passing vs likely running play). The game more recently allows for substitutions (if team A subs, team B is allowed to sub).

These situations are practiced all week. The scrimmages held last weekend and next weekend also work on substitutions in a game environment.
Word was that in 2011 and 2012, Pruitt was the one in the press box providing additional information for those substitutions regarding the opponents personnel. Very quickly and timely which led to BTB NCs in those years. Saban and Smart did appear to be lost at times in 2013 with Pruitt having moved to FSU. And who was the NC in 2013? And who was their DC?

Word was that in 2011 and 2012, Pruitt was the one in the press box providing additional information for those substitutions regarding the opponents personnel. Very quickly and timely which led to BTB NCs in those years. Saban and Smart did appear to be lost at times in 2013 with Pruitt having moved to FSU. And who was the NC in 2013? And who was their DC?

The 2012 team was absolutely clueless on how to handle the HUNH attack from A&M and Johnny Manziel

The 2012 team was absolutely clueless on how to handle the HUNH attack from A&M and Johnny Manziel

I don't know. Not a game I enjoy looking back on, but yeah, they had our number in the first quarter and went up 20-0. We outgained them. We had three turnovers to their none, each occurring on their side of the field as we were moving the ball on the 41 (INT), 30 (fumble) and finally at the goal line (INT) as we were looking to win the game with about 1:30 left. Until the turnovers, on those drives, we had drives going of 32, 50 and 60 yards, respectively.

Manzell was a uniquely talented QB whose skills were suited for freelancing in the college game, I'll give him that, but we win that game if simply had the same number of turnovers. I think both Ole Miss and aubrun hurt us more on the early HUNH or, as I prefer to refer to it, sending the O-linemen out into the pattern.

At least the season turned out okay.

RTR,

Tim

I don't know. Not a game I enjoy looking back on, but yeah, they had our number in the first quarter and went up 20-0. We outgained them. We had three turnovers to their none, each occurring on their side of the field as we were moving the ball on the 41 (INT), 30 (fumble) and finally at the goal line (INT) as we were looking to win the game with about 1:30 left. Until the turnovers, on those drives, we had drives going of 32, 50 and 60 yards, respectively.

Manzell was a uniquely talented QB whose skills were suited for freelancing in the college game, I'll give him that, but we win that game if simply had the same number of turnovers. I think both Ole Miss and aubrun hurt us more on the early HUNH or, as I prefer to refer to it, sending the O-linemen out into the pattern.

At least the season turned out okay.

RTR,

Tim

I remember my wife and I went all in (by our standards) on that game. Tailgate on The Quad right by Denny Chimes, food, music, drinks, people, 9AM arrival after setting up that morning and reserving our spot the night before. A long and joyful day until the game started. Just blew my mind the entire game. I just knew thought we were going to convert on the goal line until we ran that dumbass flat route instead of running the ball. I was right there on that goal line by the hedges watching. You're right, terrible day, but atleast the season ended well.

Back
Top Bottom