| FTBL Sark seems to be proving … again … that great coordinators don’t necessarily make great head coaches.

Saban's first year at Alabama... was he on the hot seat after a loss to Louisiana Monroe?

1 year does not a career make. Not saying Sark won't fall on his face, but the Texas state of being was much worse off than that the Alabama state of being when Saban took over, IMO (and I'm not just talking the coaching and players). They'll going to have to give him 3 or 4 years to change the culture before they start writing his biography.

Capture.JPG

I don't find the relationship between Saban and those on the Dolphins much different than what Sark is dealing with in Austin: players and staff alike.

The "support system" in Austin for the football program has its issues that have been a handicap to Sark much like it was Herman, Strong, and the like. As I've been saying for weeks now this is a deep issue there that goes much farther than you'll see being discussed on a national stage.

My opinion has not changed. He won't be there long unless there are some drastic changes within. Personally, I don't see Sark "cut of the cloth" to be able to pull it off.
I would agree... If Texas' issues were only the players and coaches, I think he'd be able to turn that program around. Unfortunately for Sark, the issues run much deeper than that and I'm not sure he has the fortitude to be able to change that culture.

I would agree... If Texas' issues were only the players and coaches, I think he'd be able to turn that program around. Unfortunately for Sark, the issues run much deeper than that and I'm not sure he has the fortitude to be able to change that culture.
Exactly, Auburn Tennessee has the same issues, there has to be a willing from the higher ups to let it progress.

Don't think the offense has been the issue with Texas this year, they rank 13 in scoring offense with 37.8 points per game, compared to their defense being ranked 108th giving up 32. 5 a game.

Their D is worse, but they were left with no talent on D. They have (had) the best RB in college football and couldn't do squat for half or more of most games. The offense let them down when it should be carrying them.

The Defense will need a major shakeup, but let's not pretend Sarkisian has no flaws as an OC.

Why do you think his offense is having so many issues at Texas? Could it be the lack of six first round NFL draft picks?

I think Arkansas exposed them in that they have poor OL/DL. Also, the Super Senior factor showed up again with Kansas. So lack of real talent & poor leadership (see leaked Bo Davis rant video), Sark has got a real up hill battle. Not to mention what he is facing w/ boosters.

They have had the best/2nd best RB in college football. They have good WRs (Worthy, Moore, Whittington, Washington). Don't know about their OL. He's got a mature QB and a young guy from the Texas HS that's a QB factory.

Buy in is kinda on the coaches.
No coach since Mack Brown has been successful, so there must be a reason.

Coaches can’t force buy-in. If that was the case then we’d never hear coaches (Saban included) talk about buying in all the time

No coach since Mack Brown has been successful, so there must be a reason.

Coaches can’t force buy-in. If that was the case then we’d never hear coaches (Saban included) talk about buying in all the time
Buy-in is code for being disciplined to do the things the coaches are teaching on and off the field. No short cuts and pushing yourself as hard as you can all the time. No slacking and taking a break from play to play. Getting in the film room to know your assignments and evaluate where you need to improve. Evaluate the other team so you are not surprised on game day. This is the same for the coaching staff.

Buy-in is code for being disciplined to do the things the coaches are teaching on and off the field. No short cuts and pushing yourself as hard as you can all the time. No slacking and taking a break from play to play. Getting in the film room to know your assignments and evaluate where you need to improve. Evaluate the other team so you are not surprised on game day. This is the same for the coaching staff.
Right. Coaches can’t force that. Saban has had that issue (not very often obviously)

The first year for a HC doesn't mean much. Everyone knows there's a transition period. Even coaches that did well in the first couple of years have failed miserably in years 3+. The real test will be when they enter the SEC.

Back
Top Bottom