| FTBL Bryce on moving from Sark to O'Brien in the Bama offense.

Alabama’s offense is going to look different this season. In addition to losing quarterback Mac Jones, running back Najee Harris, receivers Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith and many others, Alabama is also replacing former offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian. Now, the Crimson Tide turns to former Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien to run its offense. For sophomore quarterback Bryce Young, the transition to O’Brien has been exceptionally smooth.

Young had great relationship with Sarkisian

Sarkisian developed a great relationship with Young throughout his recruitment. He was one of the first to offer Young and they were together at Alabama last season. Despite not having much of a relationship with O’Brien prior to this season, Young has learned a lot from his new offensive coordinator.

“I had a relationship with Sark and he was here when I originally got here,” Young said. “Sark was a great coordinator and I know he’s going to do great things where he’s at. Coach O’Brien coming in has been great for me. Really, it’s been a super, super smooth transition. When O’Brien first came in, I didn’t know him previously and I didn’t have any relationship with him. He came in, I knew the experience he had and who he was from the NFL. When he came in, what really shocked me was how open and how humble and how well he really articulated everything to me.

“A lot of times in the NFL, you think of people in the NFL and you think, ‘Oh they’ve done it before at the highest level, they might come in and not want to work with anyone or they’re going to do it their way.’ But he’s been super receptive to everyone in the quarterback room and every one of the offense’s ideas. He’s obviously been super knowledgeable, and he’s really taught me a lot and that’s been something that’s been really good for me and my growth. Being able to just have those conversations, have that relationship was something that was really good for us as an offense and me individually. I’m super excited to keep working with O’Brien in the future.”

O’Brien isn’t making any major changes to Alabama’s offense

After multiple stops as an offensive coordinator, O’Brien made a name for himself as the head coach at Penn State. He quickly leaped to the NFL to become the head coach of the Houston Texans.

As Alabama looks to replace multiple offensive playmakers, the only major changes coming to Alabama’s offensive scheme will revolve around those changes in personnel.

“Each coordinator has put his own touch on it,” O’Brien said. Every year’s different. I think in the end, it comes down to who your players are, what they do best, who your quarterback is, what he can do best and what’s best for the team.”

While it will be tough to replicate the undefeated, championship winning season Alabama had last year, expectations remain high. O’Brien and Young’s development together in the offense will be an important part of Alabama’s success this season

Back
Top Bottom