| FTBL Saban's Second Year

G

http://www.albanyherald.com/archives/Sports/2008/sports072508d.html
A small article about the media frenzy, that was the arrival of Saban coming to Alabama, dying down somewhat the second time around. Rashad and Antoine's quotes are very telling I believe. This time around players are familiar with CNS, and can get down to business knowing what is expected.

Caldwell
“We are able to relax,” center Antoine Caldwell said. “At this point last year, everybody had the deer in the headlights look. Nobody knew what to expect. I had been hearing so much about him. This year, everybody is much more comfortable, not just the players, but staff, trainers, everybody.”
Saban
“I think the expectation of (the players) knowing what to do, how to do it, why it’s important to do it, that, and having some consistency in the system and confidence — all those things contribute to it,” he said.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/artic...itle=Caldwell_speaks_highly_of_freshman_class
The freshmen seem to already be getting it aswell.

Caldwell
“Incredible group,” Caldwell said. “The hardest working group, the most talent group I’ve seen since I’ve been here. That even includes my group, and I thought my group was pretty good. These guys have come in and done ten times better than I thought they would. They came in and really gotten into what we’re trying to do around here, they really bought into it.”

Johnson
“Tremendous,” Johnson said of the group’s talent. “They all have athletic ability, they’re running around, just as well as the rest of us. It’s great that those guys came in as good of shape as they did and as physical as they are. They all have an opportunity to go out and play this year.”

It is always said that a team makes its best improvement in a coache's second year. I believe we should expect to see a different team than last year, as far as having the attitude and mindset to do what is needed to be done to be successful. This gets me more excited than ever to see our team come out and perform this season. RTR

reger60 said:
Now that's what I like to hear. Look out Clemson!
i have seen some rival fans say that it is nuts playing Clemson as our opener after losing to ULM. i tend to think that it is an excellent idea. if we lose, i'm sure it will put a damper on things. but if we do win it, just think of the emotional payoff with the players. and something else to consider is there is going to be plenty of x-factor on both sides of the ball with the freshmen. i think to an extent we will be able to catch them off guard and they won't know our personnel groupings and things like that. whereas if we had played them later in the season they would have some film. but figure in a new OC, two crazy skilled freshman WR, maybe a freshman RB here and there, then some new talent on defense, who knows.

runswithscissors said:
reger60 said:
i have seen some rival fans say that it is nuts playing Clemson as our opener after losing to ULM. i tend to think that it is an excellent idea. if we lose, i'm sure it will put a damper on things. but if we do win it, just think of the emotional payoff with the players. and something else to consider is there is going to be plenty of x-factor on both sides of the ball with the freshmen. i think to an extent we will be able to catch them off guard and they won't know our personnel groupings and things like that. whereas if we had played them later in the season they would have some film. but figure in a new OC, two crazy skilled freshman WR, maybe a freshman RB here and there, then some new talent on defense, who knows.

As much as I want to win this game it won't be a make or break game. If we win it we still have to suit up with a very difficult schedule. If we lose it we have to learn and grow from it and get after the rest of our schedule.

As bad as the FSU game was last year we still had a chance to do great things in the SEC. Of course we didn't "finish", but the chance was there. Same will hold true for Clemson.

To me bigger than the win or the loss will be how we react, and maybe even bigger will be whether we show up or not (i.e. FSU). Surely I don't have to witness the no-show Alabama team again. That was painful.

I think BamaDelta has the right idea here. Yes I really want to win the Clemson game. Who doesn't. I honestly don't know what to expect in that game. It is a toss up in my mind.

It will be how we respond to a win OR a loss that will tell me allot and how we play on the field.

The only thing I REALLY REALLY want out of this season is a 2 out of 3 against the barnturds, LSWhoo and UT.

Swamptick said:
I think BamaDelta has the right idea here. Yes I really want to win the Clemson game. Who doesn't. I honestly don't know what to expect in that game. It is a toss up in my mind.

It will be how we respond to a win OR a loss that will tell me allot and how we play on the field.

The only thing I REALLY REALLY want out of this season is a 3 out of 3 against the barnturds, LSWhoo and UT.

Fixed that for you tick. :twisted: :lol:

BamaDelta said:
runswithscissors said:
reger60 said:

As much as I want to win this game it won't be a make or break game. If we win it we still have to suit up with a very difficult schedule. If we lose it we have to learn and grow from it and get after the rest of our schedule.

As bad as the FSU game was last year we still had a chance to do great things in the SEC. Of course we didn't "finish", but the chance was there. Same will hold true for Clemson.

To me bigger than the win or the loss will be how we react, and maybe even bigger will be whether we show up or not (i.e. FSU). Surely I don't have to witness the no-show Alabama team again. That was painful.

Right on IMHO. Attitude says a lot about a team. This year I think we have some real leaders on the field and some future leaders coming in. I believe even if we start 0-1 the team will play hard for 4 quarters and compete on every play. I will also say this...I do not expect a loss. Clemson will have to play hard to win. We will see a much improved bunch playing for the Tide...some heads are gonna turn and roll.

CN$ the formal honeymoon is over...

He has been warmly received, well compensated, given the control he desired and now he is I would say fully accountable to the Administration, Alumni Supporters, Boosters, Loyal fans worldwide, Media ignorant or not, and anyone else who lives and breathe's U of A football... for the full restoration of this University to NCAA prominence...

I don't expect a National Championship... I want to see a commitment each game to follow that storied pathway to glory and an adherence to what it takes to get there.

He has the power to do this and more...

Get it done!

Back
Top Bottom